• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah is not the player you remember anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

So it starts… TBF, I had no doubt he already has an offer. In fact he is probably their #1 target alongside Messi.

Not sure if it’s new one…

For me, keep Mo till he calls it time himself. FSG can find some other way of investing in transfers with 3rd biggest club rather than selling our leading scorer. Just for once, like to keep hold of our best scorer rather than having to sell our assets for the sake of continuity.

Last edited:
Least we can do is see what these cunts bring to the table, but to tempt us into a sale I’d imagine it’d have to be 1 of the top 3 world transfers.

I hope we can pull one more Salah/Mane/Diaz level signing out of our arses if this happens. Not sure I can put up with a 2 year pursuit of Jarrod Bowen ending in failure.

I can’t wait until we sell him so that we can have regular threads for the next 3 years about why we should never have sold him and whether we can get him back on loan??!!

Have we considered bring Gini home to bolster the midfield options???

As opposed to keeping him until his contract ends so we can give him one big happy send off after finishing yet another season outside top 4 and trophyless? On top of that ponder all summer where the money for his replacement will come from before we ultimately end up signing Dwight Mcneil for 35m

As opposed to keeping him until his contract ends so we can give him one big happy send off after finishing yet another season outside top 4 and trophyless? On top of that ponder all summer where the money for his replacement will come from before we ultimately end up signing Dwight Mcneil for 35m

Yes, I’m sure that’s the likely outcome.

The sooner we raid Newcastle for Ryan Fraser the sooner we can rest easy.

For me, keep Mo till he calls it time himself. FSG can find some other way of investing in transfers with 3rd biggest club rather than selling our leading scorer. Just for once, like to keep hold of our best scorer rather than having to sell our assets for the sake of continuity.

This is great, didn’t see it before. I never thought about it, but Mo could become a good coach when he retires - if he wants. You can see he is obsessed with football and little details that give an advantage, this is the quality you want in a manager. As a player and leader, he is still, somehow, under-appreciated by many fans.

Absolutely.

I don’t quite get this desire to sell off players - is it just a further symptom of how money is ruining the game or this pre-occupation with needing to sign loads of new players every season?

I don’t recall a clamour to sell Carragher or Gerrard, of even further back Hypia, Rush, Dalglish, Barnes, Hansen, etc

I’m firmly of the opinion that once a player reached the “legend” status, and make no mistake, Salah is a legend, then he deserves the right to choose how he exits - and if that’s to play out the final years of his contract and leave in a free as one of our greatest players ever then I’m happy for that to happen.

Absolutely.

I don’t quite get this desire to sell off players - is it just a further symptom of how money is ruining the game or this pre-occupation with needing to sign loads of new players every season?

I don’t recall a clamour to sell Carragher or Gerrard, of even further back Hypia, Rush, Dalglish, Barnes, Hansen, etc

I’m firmly of the opinion that once a player reached the “legend” status, and make no mistake, Salah is a legend, then he deserves the right to choose how he exits - and if that’s to play out the final years of his contract and leave in a free as one of our greatest players ever then I’m happy for that to happen.
I think the reason is that we've shown that our budget for transfers tend to be that of a bottom of the league club, and that the only way to buy is to sell one of our highly valued assets. When he leaves on a free or on the cheap, you can guarantee we wouldn't have the budget to replace him with a peak Salah-level player. At least we can attempt to with a bit more money from a sale now.
But I feel the same as you when I see people talking about selling VVD, so do get the point.

I'm glad it's not just me. Find the hype around Diaz really odd. Yea, he's got loads of fancy tricks and flicks but I find him a bit frustrating to watch. More end product needed.

He was one of our better players before his injury last season. His return and performances at the end of the season was just about fitness and getting back after a long injury. He had 4 goals in 12 games prior to the injury.

With a good pre season I fully expect him to have a breakout season now.

Oh, and we shouldnt sell Salah this season btw.

Absolutely.

Yeah how I feel, every player has a value but not every club chooses to sell as the resale value is just one aspect.
I don’t see a like for like replacement out there now and it’s definitely not the same situation we were with Mane or Bobby last season. Mane was done.
Feels like wish to sell a legend is a bit of a weird trend on here, didn’t see it with Gerrard but then we did start seeing it with Trent last year.

Whether it's because in recent years it's become more sell to buy, and because we just don't sell anyone, that when there's a downturn in form/getting older there's a clamour to do it so we can actually try and improve. We saw the coutinho deal transformed our side, and people (I'd guess) want that kind of transformation again.

Absolutely.

It's not necessary to sign loads of new players but as we've seen first hand, it is necessary to keep the squad fresh and use the transfer windows to good effect.

As for Salah, I care more about seeing the team succeed and win trophies than what Salah supposedly deserves. I don't give a fuck about any of them and yeah that is a symptom of the modern game that the players are more than happy to take advantage of when it suits them. The only exception I make is for homegrown players. I'd hate to see TAA leave.

City are having a strong period of dominance because they freshen up piece by piece as they go. Obviously, they can afford to do it due to nefarious deals and recent successes...yet when we had some success we shat the bed and didn't invest. City also have an annoying knack for selling at the right time. Sterling and zinchenko last year "officially" funded haaland.

Yeah how I feel, every player has a value but not every club chooses to sell as the resale value is just one aspect.
I don’t see a like for like replacement out there now and it’s definitely not the same situation we were with Mane or Bobby last season. Mane was done.
Feels like wish to sell a legend is a bit of a weird trend on here, didn’t see it with Gerrard but then we did start seeing it with Trent last year.

Its’s such a weird state at the minute, or is it just on here.

It’s like people want success, but at the same time want to sell our best, most valuable players just because they want to see new players bought.

And then they want to see us scouring the globe for cheap youngsters to bring in without ever really wanting to risk “success” by giving them the game time to develop.

I wonder if Blue Moon is full of threads irate at Gundogan being allowed to leave on a free rather than be sold 2 years ago to give Calvin Phillips more game time or wether they should sell de Bruyne now.

I get wanting us to bring in sone new players, I just don’t get the madness around it all - and that includes our inability to actually bring in sone good cheapies any more.

We’ve basically been fucked since City changed the password to their scouting database.

City are having a strong period of dominance because they freshen up piece by piece as they go. Obviously, they can afford to do it due to nefarious deals and recent successes...yet when we had some success we shat the bed and didn't invest. City also have an annoying knack for selling at the right time. Sterling and zinchenko last year "officially" funded haaland.

There seems to be an uncomfortable correlation going on between Arsenal/City/Chelsea of how much money they can each get off the other to strengthen.

Chelsea took Torres off us, City took Sterling off us.....since then, nothing..... yet every summer we read of X, Y and Z going from Chelsea to Arsenal or Arsenal to City for 30/40m/50m

I think we’ve made some smart purchases that’ll pay dividends in a few years and at the same time I’d like to think there’s more than a few decent players coming through the youth set up.

Elliot, Carvalho & Ramsey are all good signings that should deliver, at the very least good squad options or cash.

Jones, Badgertits & Morton (to a lesser extent) have all shown they can contribute to the first team.

Bradley, Pitaluga, Clark, Gordon, Doak & Chambers all look promising too.

That’s why I’d be “relatively happy” with a couple more good signings on top of Mac Allister (or AMA as @tombrown prefers him to be called), and maybe a couple of youths in the Elliot/Carvalho mould.

It's not necessary to sign loads of new players but as we've seen first hand, it is necessary to keep the squad fresh and use the transfer windows to good effect.

As for Salah, I care more about seeing the team succeed and win trophies than what Salah supposedly deserves. I don't give a fuck about any of them and yeah that is a symptom of the modern game that the players are more than happy to take advantage of when it suits them. The only exception I make is for homegrown players. I'd hate to see TAA leave.

I can agree with most of that.

[article]
Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah, 31, is the next marquee signing being targeted by the Saudi Pro League after the arrivals of Karim Benzema and N'Golo Kante. (Four Four Two)
[/article]

Elliot, Carvalho & Ramsey are all good signings that should deliver, at the very least good squad options or cash.

Jones, Badgertits & Morton (to a lesser extent) have all shown they can contribute to the first team.

Bradley, Pitaluga, Clark, Gordon, Doak & Chambers all look promising too.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on the youngsters to shine through as if it's like child's play.

Highly likely none of these guys bar Jones (seeing it already) & Bajcetic go on to be useful squad players.

We've seen so many examples of highly rated/promising youngsters that've looked like doing something or tooted to have a long career at a decent level but quickly found out the levels to this game and ended up in the lower leagues or even out of football altogether.

The only 2 I'd be really interested in seeing is Bradley (now he's had a full taste of senior football) & Doak because of his tricky and pace.

Its’s such a weird state at the minute, or is it just on here.

It’s like people want success, but at the same time want to sell our best, most valuable players just because they want to see new players bought.

And then they want to see us scouring the globe for cheap youngsters to bring in without ever really wanting to risk “success” by giving them the game time to develop.

I wonder if Blue Moon is full of threads irate at Gundogan being allowed to leave on a free rather than be sold 2 years ago to give Calvin Phillips more game time or wether they should sell de Bruyne now.

I get wanting us to bring in sone new players, I just don’t get the madness around it all - and that includes our inability to actually bring in sone good cheapies any more.

We’ve basically been fucked since City changed the password to their scouting database.

Yep, I don’t particularly care about how much money we spend etc as long as we are within manageable means.
Fans are quick to have a go at players for lack of loyalty but it’s a two way thing, some clubs can also see them as just assets.
I don’t particularly see an offer Salah even from Saudi’s being anything like what people are expecting on here, especially exceeding book value so then it becomes at times a zero sum game possibly.
People mention City as an example but City often brought a replacement a season before and slowly introduce them before selling the older assets. Selling Salah is not same as selling squad players such as Zinchenko and to lesser extent Sterling, City were quiet happy to let Fernandinho, Kompany and Aguero effectively wind down and retire.

You're putting a lot of emphasis on the youngsters to shine through as if it's like child's play.

Highly likely none of these guys bar Jones (seeing it already) & Bajcetic go on to be useful squad players.

We've seen so many examples of highly rated/promising youngsters that've looked like doing something or tooted to have a long career at a decent level but quickly found out the levels to this game and ended up in the lower leagues or even out of football altogether.

The only 2 I'd be really interested in seeing is Bradley (now he's had a full taste of senior football) & Doak because of his tricky and pace.

And you might be understating their abilities.

Chambers apparently did very well at Kilmarnock - not the best league in the world, but also not for the faint hearted and to impress as an 18 yo CB is good.

Gordon’s injury is likely the main factor there, but he was starting to show real promise.

You should be excited about Clark too - he could be the best of them.

A year ago no-one thought Badgertits would progress as much as he has - nothing is certain, but there’s talent there.

Last edited:
Yep, I don’t particularly care about how much money we spend etc as long as we are within manageable means.
Fans are quick to have a go at players for lack of loyalty but it’s a two way thing, some clubs can also see them as just assets.
I don’t particularly see an offer Salah even from Saudi’s being anything like what people are expecting on here, especially exceeding book value so then it becomes at times a zero sum game possibly.
People mention City as an example but City often brought a replacement a season before and slowly introduce them before selling the older assets. Selling Salah is not same as selling squad players such as Zinchenko and to lesser extent Sterling, City were quiet happy to let Fernandinho, Kompany and Aguero effectively wind down and retire.

I absolutely see us doing the same with Virgil, Salah & Henderson and I’m fine with it - their experience and knowledge is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom