• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Prime VVD vs Prime Rio Ferdinand

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwake

Well-Known
Saw an interesting debate on Redcafe where they were debating the best prem defender (because football only started then lol). https://www.redcafe.net/threads/vidic-terry-rio-stam-van-dijk.465521/

Many were going for Rio (obviously) but I obviously think VVD is the best-ever defender. For me if you base it off of what has been won then Rio would win but if you had to compare attributes then VVD win it. Peak VVD vs peak Rio is a no contest.

Heading ability: VVD (Usually in the top 5 headers for headers won in Europe)
Pace: VVD (Watch youtube video of VVD keeping up with Traore)
Tackling: VVD (If he has to tackle he has failed, but even then his tackles are usually clean)
Positioning: VVD (Always in the right place)
Strength: VVD (Rarely seen VVD outmuscled)
Passing: VVD (One of the best defenders Ive seen pass the ball)
Leadership: VVD (If it wasn't for Henderson, he would be Captain. Captains Holland)

I honestly can't put Rio on the same level as VVD. Sure Rio was an amazing defender in his prime but I also felt that United could cope without him. VVD on the other hand, you notice him when he's not around, he's that good. Also, that season when people debated whether who should get honours Messi, Ronaldo or VVD, tells you how good prime VVD can be.

Rio was great but not on the level of prime vvd ... this guys has everything, and his weakness is he's sometimes too relaxed ...

Yes Virgil is the better player.

Winning more majors doesn't always mean equate to being better.

Is Morata better than Kane?

Rio was fantastic and did it for longer (so far), but yeah, I think Virgil is the better individual player.

When debating the strengths/weaknesses of individuals then trophies won shouldn't come into it. Put Rio into a mid table side and he'd still be Rio but without the trophies.

VvD is clearly the better player and the best defender I've ever seen (and I'm 62).

The first page of that redcafe thread is an argument about Vidic v VVD which is silly Vidic was good but not that good.

I struggle not to denigrate opposition players over time, it has to be close but it has to be Virgil

Saw an interesting debate on Redcafe where they were debating the best prem defender (because football only started then lol). https://www.redcafe.net/threads/vidic-terry-rio-stam-van-dijk.465521/

Many were going for Rio (obviously) but I obviously think VVD is the best-ever defender. For me if you base it off of what has been won then Rio would win but if you had to compare attributes then VVD win it. Peak VVD vs peak Rio is a no contest.

Heading ability: VVD (Usually in the top 5 headers for headers won in Europe)
Pace: VVD (Watch youtube video of VVD keeping up with Traore)
Tackling: VVD (If he has to tackle he has failed, but even then his tackles are usually clean)
Positioning: VVD (Always in the right place)
Strength: VVD (Rarely seen VVD outmuscled)
Passing: VVD (One of the best defenders Ive seen pass the ball)
Leadership: VVD (If it wasn't for Henderson, he would be Captain. Captains Holland)

I honestly can't put Rio on the same level as VVD. Sure Rio was an amazing defender in his prime but I also felt that United could cope without him. VVD on the other hand, you notice him when he's not around, he's that good. Also, that season when people debated whether who should get honours Messi, Ronaldo or VVD, tells you how good prime VVD can be.

On the contrary.. His ban cost them the title..

They where Top before he was banned and cruising.... Arsenal went on to win the Title..

When debating the strengths/weaknesses of individuals then trophies won shouldn't come into it. Put Rio into a mid table side and he'd still be Rio but without the trophies.

VvD is clearly the better player and the best defender I've ever seen (and I'm 62).

I think Maldini was as good as him as a defender (I know it's fullback vs centerback) ...
But one of the best ever? Hmmmm

It’s unfair to compare VVD to Ferdinand. You need to compare him to the combo of Ferdinand & Vidic.

VVD comes out on top.

How’s your eyesight and memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom