• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Chelsea (H) - Saturday 17:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Big game for the start of the season, I am both excited and nervous about this one. Chelsea looked dominant against Arsenal through their full backs, controlled back three and Lukaku up top. Could be a great battle of the full backs, and hopefully we can dominate the midfield if they stick to two in the middle.

For me - Fabs back is a must. Arsenal had huge gaps that a competent DM would deal with.

Would be nice to see Robbo back, but I do not fear Tsimikas who is in good form. Robbo's leadership would be a great added extra however.

Finally - Bobby comes back for me to bring high energy pressing of the Chelsea back three & Jorginho. Run them ragged before Jota is deployed second half.

-------------Alisson------------
Trent--Matip--VVD--Robbo
---------------Fabs--------------
--------Hendo----Keita--------
Salah------Firmino-----Mane

It's nice to have selection challenges with Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota, Elliot all potentials to feature in the starting line up.

Big game for the start of the season, I am both excited and nervous about this one. Chelsea looked dominant against Arsenal through their full backs, controlled back three and Lukaku up top. Could be a great battle of the full backs, and hopefully we can dominate the midfield if they stick to two in the middle.

For me - Fabs back is a must. Arsenal had huge gaps that a competent DM would deal with.

Would be nice to see Robbo back, but I do not fear Tsimikas who is in good form. Robbo's leadership would be a great added extra however.

Finally - Bobby comes back for me to bring high energy pressing of the Chelsea back three & Jorginho. Run them ragged before Jota is deployed second half.

Trent--Matip--VVD--Robbo

It's nice to have selection challenges with Tsimikas, Thiago, Jota, Elliot all potentials to feature in the starting line up.
Chelsea really looked very strong, and Lukaku looked like he'd been playing with the team for years. Of course, he'll face a different challenge with our defenders you'd like to think. Fabinho is crucial, but I'm not sure I'd be dropping Jota for Bobby. It's a tough call.

Trent--Matip--VVD--Robbo

Can be no dispute about this.

They're out biggest rival this season. Go with the safest choice.

Winning this would be massive. Might screw Chelsea up a bit and put the shits up City too.

Will probably end up being a draw

Trent--Matip--VVD--Robbo

I'd actually think it's a bit unfair if he plays Firmino ahead of Jota.
Other than that, it's pretty much the best team we've got.

Jota deserves to continue in a starting role based on form. We wont be getting that many chances against Chelsea and it a major advantage that Jota has been very clinical so far.

Fabinho is a must. We desperately need him in midfield.
Robbo to return at full back.

Chelsea really looked very strong, and Lukaku looked like he'd been playing with the team for years. Of course, he'll face a different challenge with our defenders you'd like to think. Fabinho is crucial, but I'm not sure I'd be dropping Jota for Bobby. It's a tough call.
Maybe it's time to drop Sadio for Jota?
After all, that is Jota's most effective position.

Becker
TAA Matip VvD Robbo
Fabs
Hendo Keita
Salah Jota Mane

Going to be a very tough game - would take a draw now if offered.
They're a really good team but we are as good.
Hopefully, an 85% VvD can do the necessary and we lay a marker early on in the season as Arsenal will beat City (AFTV has me believing).

The Jota vs Bobby one is a great debate to have. It has been too long since we've had competition. For me - Jota still doesn't press effectively enough. Against a back three and a very dominant DM (Jorginho) I think Bobby's smarts are needed to set the tone.

I think I would start Jota simply because if he gets a half chance he will probably score it. That's the kind of striker we need in what could be a scruffy match against a Tuchel side where he seems to have everyone's number so far, and has learned a lot since his Dortmund days.

Klopp will be eager to put one over the vampire looking prick, and I can see a 2-0 in there. Not sure if I would keep Eliott in the side but I would surely like to see if we could, with Fabinho and Hendo also in there

Agree with Brizzle's selection.

Defensively, we need to deal with three things primarily:

1. The free running of Mount and James on the right, and Havertz and Alonso on the left. That means having Keita continually tracking and helping out Robertson, and Henderson continually tracking and helping out Trent.

2. Long balls to Lukaku - don't need to complicate this. Need Firmino's pressing to counter Jorginho's vertical passing. Deeper long balls, I'll trust van Dijk, Matip and Alisson to deal with. Lukaku is a big challenge, but there's not a defence across Europe who's more suited to deal with that challenge than ours.

3. Putting pressure on Jorginho and Kante - need Firmino for this. Jota plays off the shoulder and rarely drops back. Firmino is bigger, stronger and a pain in the arse for smaller guys like Jorginho.

Offensively, this will be a game for us to focus on quick transitions rather than possession and ball carrying. Goal will be to get the front 3 in one-on-one opportunities with their back 3 - that's the back 3's biggest weakness.

Means quick outlet balls down the channel for Salah and Mane behind their wing backs. If that is not available, we will need Firmino's ability to drop and carry the ball in transition quickly. All the more important since we won't be able to afford playing a ball-carrier like Elliott or Ox in midfield given the need to counter Mount and Havertz.

We use this strategy for about 60-70 mins. If it works, we're hopefully up by a goal or two, and we can then just manage the game. If we're level or down, we still can bring Jota or Elliott or Thiago off the bench.

Agree with Brizzle's selection.

Defensively, we need to deal with three things primarily:

1. The free running of Mount and James on the right, and Havertz and Alonso on the left. That means having Keita continually tracking and helping out Robertson, and Henderson continually tracking and helping out Trent.

2. Long balls to Lukaku - don't need to complicate this. Need Firmino's pressing to counter Jorginho's vertical passing. Deeper long balls, I'll trust van Dijk, Matip and Alisson to deal with. Lukaku is a big challenge, but there's not a defence across Europe who's more suited to deal with that challenge than ours.

3. Putting pressure on Jorginho and Kante - need Firmino for this. Jota plays off the shoulder and rarely drops back. Firmino is bigger, stronger and a pain in the arse for smaller guys like Jorginho.

Offensively, this will be a game for us to focus on quick transitions rather than possession and ball carrying. Goal will be to get the front 3 in one-on-one opportunities with their back 3 - that's the back 3's biggest weakness.

Means quick outlet balls down the channel for Salah and Mane behind their wing backs. If that is not available, we will need Firmino's ability to drop and carry the ball in transition quickly. All the more important since we won't be able to afford playing a ball-carrier like Elliott or Ox in midfield given the need to counter Mount and Havertz.

We use this strategy for about 60-70 mins. If it works, we're hopefully up by a goal or two, and we can then just manage the game. If we're level or down, we still can bring Jota or Elliott or Thiago off the bench.

Spot on - I was thinking this will be one of the first games we miss Gini. His covering and support of the full back needs to be matched by Naby.

And of course, we nees Fabinho playing his free-safety role in the middle, where he snuffs out anything ane everything.

Spot on - I was thinking this will be one of the first games we miss Gini. His covering and support of the full back needs to be matched by Naby.
Yes Gini was terrific in the big games. Tactically, he rarely made a mistake, and was able to physically impose himself in duels or while resisting the press.

It's the smaller games where his on-ball timidity was a problem.

When we played them in March at home and lost 1-0. We had Fabinho and Kabak at CB, and a midfield of Gini, Jones and Thiago.

Starting with Chelsea.

Odds are just shading us but really there is nothing in it. Interestingly we are ahead in chances created from the first two matches at 3.5 to 2.5 per match. Obviously key for us will be Fabs and Robbo returning, no idea how that will go yet but I'd be surprised if they didn't both start.

Maybe a very minor stat at this juncture but Chelsea only had the 6th best away record last season (10-4-5 & 27-18).

Ruben Loftus-Cheek & Pulisic were both out with CV19 against Arsenal and both are considered highly unlikely to be ready for us.

It's a very powerful team with Kante and James returning from injury (both on the bench yesterday). The midfield is sound and there's creativity behind Lukaku. That said the keeper isn't top quality and if they play 3 at the back there'll be space for our lads to attack them. I'd expect to see Jorginho dropping deeper to help out a lot of the time.

Tuchel on Jorginho : “He lacks, if you isolate him or watch him separately, the pure physical ability that makes him the number one candidate to be a number six in the Premier League. But once you have him in a structure, he is very well organised in his game, he organises all the environment around him.

Lineup (3-4-2-1 as used vs Arsenal. I found numerous rumours of Tuchel switching to a 4-2-4 but that's surely highly unlikely against us, he played with long balls & quick transitions when winning 0-1 last season, I'd expect more of the same again ... but with Werner on the bench this time). They can easily switch to 6 attacking with Kante joining the front 5 and leaving Jorginho to mind the fort.

..................................... Mendy

..... Azpilicueta ..........Christensen ........ Rudiger

James ..............Kante ......... Jorginho .......... Alonso

....................Havertz ....................Mount

................................... Lukaku

The questions are who starts up front, who starts in the middle and will Robbo return.

I can't see Robbo not returning if Klopp deems him fit enough to start. Tsimikas has looked even better than Robbo up front, both occasionally give away silly balls in midfield but Robbo is clearly a better defender and as a FB that is his primary function ... and we'll need him against this Chelsea side.

Surely Fabs will return. Everyone knows how big this game is and even draped in heartache I can't see Fabs not wanting to be there for this one. Milner will be passed fit but will be on the bench. Hendo is a cert. That leaves Keita or Thiago. That could go either way but I'll go for the more reliable & creative player (because we'll be needing a lot of creativity from midfield) in Thiago.

Up front Firmino has to come in. His tracking back and pressure on deep lying midfielders will be required against Jorginho (and maybe Kante) and is more important for this match than a better goal scorer. Salah is rightly undroppable. However I'd go for Jota over Mane. Mane may have the edge in pace but that's not of any value against the equally speedy James and experienced Azpilicueta. However Jota needs by far fewer chances than Mane (since he joined us he requires less minutes per goal, every 127, than even Mo) and his darting between players and the way he finds space could be of more value.

----------------------Alisson------------

TAA --- Matip--------------VVD ---------Robbo

--------------------- Fabs

-------- Hendo ---------------Thiago

Salah ----------- Firmino -------------- Jota

Sacrilege!

I get this thinking, but when Mane clicks he is just so devastatingly good, and we know that he really seems to react badly to being left out. I'd rather nurture Mane back into form.

Even more so after his goal this weekend, he's starting to find his rhythm. He also seems to be looking for his team-mates more with the ball which is a positive.

Even more so after his goal this weekend, he's starting to find his rhythm. He also seems to be looking for his team-mates more with the ball which is a positive.
Yeah, Mane and Salah both were trying to find each other. In fact, Salah seems to be playing with a generosity beyond a level I've seen in his game before. Salah has started the season brilliantly.

Mane was making some clever runs and finding pockets of space and had a few half chances. He doesn't look far away.

Really don't care what Chelsea do or how strong they look and I don't see why fans opinions should change into a negative 1 because they beat shit Palace team and an even shitter Arsenal side.

We're pretty much at full strength now too and I know what we're capable of with a full strength side, we can still blitz any team in Europe away.

Alisson Trent Matip Van Dijk Tsimikas Fab Hendo Keita Salah Jota Mane

Don't see a reason to drop Tsimikas based on the last 2 performances.

Really don't care what Chelsea do or how strong they look and I don't see why fans opinions should change into a negative 1 because they beat shit Palace team and an even shitter Arsenal side.

We're pretty much at full strength now too and I know what we're capable of with a full strength side, we can still blitz any team in Europe away.

Alisson Trent Matip Van Dijk Tsimikas Fab Hendo Keita Salah Jota Mane

Don't see a reason to drop Tsimikas based on the last 2 performances.

Tsimikas has played well, but he has also been bawled out repeatedly by his team mates for switching off. It is understandable, he isn't part of the machine yet, and playing in our patterns isn't second nature to him yet.. Robbo is, however, absolutely part of the machinery and whilst it is great to have a viable option to allow us to rotate Robbo – if he is fit, he plays.

Tsimikas has played well, but he has also been bawled out repeatedly by his team mates for switching off. It is understandable, he isn't part of the machine yet, and playing in our patterns isn't second nature to him yet.. Robbo is, however, absolutely part of the machinery and whilst it is great to have a viable option to allow us to rotate Robbo – if he is fit, he plays.

I understand this comment but we have to manage player minutes as well to prevent injuries, if we didn't have a decent enough back up option I'd understand like with Trent....

But we've played 2 with him, we've had 2 clean sheets and he's got an assist. No reason to rush Robbo, I say ease him back in and maybe look to start him after the internationals.

It really is a tough one, 50/50 all over the place. Assuming everyone is fit I'd go with the below team:

--------------Alisson------------
TAA---Matip---VVD---Robbo
---------------Fabs-------------
------Hendo------Thiago--------
--Salah---Firmino----Mane-----

Tough to leave Keita out, but I remember the last big game he started against Madrid, he was woeful.
Mane over Jota was also a 50/50 toss up. I wouldn't be shocked to see Jota there.
Robbo (if fit) is more solid defensively than Tsimkas for me. Tsimkas looks a bit like Riise for me, always has a fuck up per game in him. Versus Reece James we ideally need Robbo.

Jota, Keita and Elliot off the bench is a great option... Or Milner over Elliot if we need to hold a lead.

I understand this comment but we have to manage player minutes as well to prevent injuries, if we didn't have a decent enough back up option I'd understand like with Trent....

But we've played 2 with him, we've had 2 clean sheets and he's got an assist. No reason to rush Robbo, I say ease him back in and maybe look to start him after the internationals.
Yeah. Norwich and Burnley. And now we go up 3 levels.

I've heaped praise on Tsimikas but defending isn't his strongest suit but it's one of Robbo's. It would be criminal to leave Robbo out if fit.

Yeah. Norwich and Burnley. And now we go up 3 levels.

I've heaped praise on Tsimikas but defending isn't his strongest suit but it's one of Robbo's. It would be criminal to leave Robbo out if fit.
If he's 90% fit do you start him? If he's feeling any pain on that ankle he should be benched...for his protection and our benefit.

It’s a tough call, but I would stick with Jota up front. Goals change games and he gives us a better chance of changing the game in our favor with one decisive contribution. Bring Firmino on when we’re 1:0 up with 30 minutes to go.

I’m a bit worried about our midfield - on paper everyone is fit and available, but Hendo just returned from a long injury lay-off, Thiago is also just getting back to fitness, Milner had a knock, Fabinho had a personal tragedy and Curtis hasn’t played a minute yet. Oddly, Keita is the one player who looks match-sharp and ready. Chelsea have a lot of quality in that area and we need to be super sharp and fit to hold our own in the midfield battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom