• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Ole at the wheel choice...

Prefix for Poll Threads

Which do you prefer?

• Smash the scum, Ole sacked.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Smash the scum, Ole stays.

Votes: 58 90.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

They had that incident at a world cup where Rooney was sent off because Ronaldo protested at the ref and then winked when he went off. There are interviews around saying they can't stand each other and the squad largely kept them away from each other in the next season or two.

Solskjaer spent £400m on losing every major semi-final and final United reached under him - two Europa League semi-finals, an FA Cup semi-final, a League Cup semi-final and last season's Europa League final when United were overwhelming favourites against Villarreal.
A nearly manager managing a nearly team.

Haha you love to see it.

Can't stand that cunt Ronaldo ... however if anyone has watched any of their games (and I do in the, oft fulfilled, hope of seeing them embarrassed) then it's very difficult to pin any blame on him, or claim he's not suited to 'the modern game'. That makes no sense at all in reality. He's been by far their best striker and often posed the only real threat at all, that's quite aside from the number of times he's saved their collective arses already.

Last edited:
Ronaldo's best role there is probably as a super sub to be honest. Someone you always have up your sleeve to throw on after 65 minutes. In that way he doesnt mess with your starting system too much.

Not that he'd be ok with that, mind.

Looking around at the managerial options, there's nobody out there that would worry me actually.

Zidane wouldn't work in the premiership. He rode on the back of a great midfield and prime ronaldo at Real.
Rooney would be glorious
Poch is good, but he's never won a thing of note - is he that great?
Rodgers would be ok for a while, but the job would eventually be too much for him.

Can't stand that cunt Ronaldo ... however if anyone has watched any of their games (and I do in the, oft fulfilled, hope of seeing them embarrassed) then it's very difficult to pin any blame on him, or claim he's not suited to 'the modern game'. That makes no sense at all in reality. He's been by far their best striker and often posed the only real threat at all, that's quite aside from the number of times he's saved their collective arses already.

Yea i was going to say something similar myself, a guy that is scoring fairly freely can’t be the problem. He’s still a good player and if a manager can’t build a squad that performs well and includes him then it’s down to the manager.

Is he really much less of a ‘presser’ than Kane, Lukaku, late stage Aguero/Vardy, Antonio? Maybe but not by much, wouldn’t surprise me if Ole told him to save his runs and let the other lads press.

The main thing really supporting Ronaldo being a problem is that other managers seemingly couldn’t get a tune out of a team that includes him. Could be down to promises that are made when he signs for a club.

Ronaldo's best role there is probably as a super sub to be honest. Someone you always have up your sleeve to throw on after 65 minutes. In that way he doesnt mess with your starting system too much.

Not that he'd be ok with that, mind.
He's often playing on CBs shoulder and is easily still fast enough to beat the offside trap (obviously most teams don't play as high a line as we do) as he's shown amply this season. Regardless of age he's not slow.
Whether to start him or sub him on is probably a decision best based on the opposition.

Yea i was going to say something similar myself, a guy that is scoring fairly freely can’t be the problem. He’s still a good player and if a manager can’t build a squad that performs well and includes him then it’s down to the manager.

Is he really much less of a ‘presser’ than Kane, Lukaku, late stage Aguero/Vardy, Antonio? Maybe but not by much, wouldn’t surprise me if Ole told him to save his runs and let the other lads press.

The main thing really supporting Ronaldo being a problem is that other managers seemingly couldn’t get a tune out of a team that includes him. Could be down to promises that are made when he signs for a club.
It really depends what you want out of your CF. He wouldn't suit us but has broken records everywhere he's played as an out and out goal-scorer. The below from his last season in Italy (sure it includes penalties but most top scorers records do).
I remember having a debate with someone on here who said he was finished when he went to Italy - ha !

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo finished the 2020-21 campaign as Serie A's top scorer to become the only player to achieve the feat in the Premier League, La Liga and Italy's top flight. The 36-year-old scored 29 goals as the Bianconeri finished the season in fourth place.

Could the football Gods love us this much?

Steve Bruce would be very keen on the interim role, and believes he could help stabilise the dressing room [@TheAthleticUK]
If there was a position going at the local chippie he'd be throwing his hat in the ring.

Looking around at the managerial options, there's nobody out there that would worry me actually.

Zidane wouldn't work in the premiership. He rode on the back of a great midfield and prime ronaldo at Real.
Rooney would be glorious
Rodgers would be ok for a while, but the job would eventually be too much for him.
The Ajax manager? Whatshisname. United are real chancers so that is likely a good option for them.

Rooney would be glorious

I'd be more worried about someone like Ten Hag who might actually be able to develop them into a decent team long term.

I agree about Zidane - I dont really see coaching genius there - just someone who can manage top tier players with a team to in a dominant position. I don't think he'd have the gumption to rebuild that shite into something capable of taking on City, Chelsea or us long term.

Poch would at least be able to get them into a decent unit, but his lack of trophies is a bit of a flag - he'll come away with a French title for sure this year if he doesn't get the boot over CL performances.

That twat Simeone would be horrific at Utd - they wouldn't play the way Utd fans want them to play, but he'd be effective and an utter contemptable fucker than would actually achieve the task of making even more hateable that they already are.

As much as I'd love them to plump for an ex-player - they'd be seriously fucking stupid if they did.

Brenda wouldn't be a good fit, I reckon, he's not got the chops to win a CL or an EPL title - might steady them and win a couple of cups.

Who else is there - none of the Italians make sense, doesn't appear to be any more younger managers with major winning experience and an exciting approach breaking through in Spain, France or Germany and as much as I reckon Potter would be an interesting choice - he's not got the experience with "big players".

Funny that the next best manager would be the Moyseiah - time for a second coming?????

Personally, I think Poch will get it because he'll get the tin-tac from PSG if he doesnt win the CL this season (which he won't). Wouldn't be surprised to see Zidane take the PSG job - that seems a better fit for him.

It really depends what you want out of your CF. He wouldn't suit us but has broken records everywhere he's played as an out and out goal-scorer. The below from his last season in Italy (sure it includes penalties but most top scorers records do).
I remember having a debate with someone on here who said he was finished when he went to Italy - ha !

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo finished the 2020-21 campaign as Serie A's top scorer to become the only player to achieve the feat in the Premier League, La Liga and Italy's top flight. The 36-year-old scored 29 goals as the Bianconeri finished the season in fourth place.

yea he’s not for us but he’s still doing the biz, i don’t remember any of this talk with Zlatan who surely didn’t press

Yea, I get the Ronaldo arguments, but a shrewd enough manager would be able to integrate him into a team, particularly a counter attacking one, which united were.

The key would have been to played a fairly old fashioned 4-4-2, and get someone to do the donkey work up front next to Ronaldo.

The issue for United that Ronaldo and Maguire problem are the biggest issues the next manager has to deal with. They both need to classed as squad members rather than first team members. If they continue to classify those two as first team members doesn't matter what manager they get. Maguire is serviceable but shouldn't be automatic first choice for a club like United let alone captain and Ronaldo needs to told that he shouldn't expect to play every game as first choice.
If the United's problems are Maguire and Ronaldo, and I don't disagree with you.Then long may they keep having them

Solskjaer himself did a decent job helping them get over the Mourinho years and IMO Pochettino would be a similar (albeit higher quality) appointment. He's a good developer of players and teams and would make them difficult opponents again. The problem might come two or three years down the line when they'd be looking to win not just the odd second-rate pot but the big prizes again. There's zero evidence Pochettino could take that step with them, and in fact some evidence that he couldn't (fortunately for us he dropped a king-sized ricket when he picked a clearly unfit Kane for the CL Final - I was bricking it that he'd pick Moura instead).

Rooney would be glorious

Think both Avram Grant and Claudio Ranieri would do well at Utd especially given that they would have a good transfer pot.
Thing is Utd would not concider them. They think that are to big for a less than stella or big name manager

It seems that Poch would be the best choice and I think he could be successful.

He was stifled by Levy at Spurs, but took them as far as it was possible, which has been proven since he left. He had them playing with a unified idea and with good balance across the pitch. He also had the courage to put Messi on the bench (perhaps only once), but that is exactly where Ronaldo needs to go.

He was never a good fit for PSG, that is where Zidane could/should land, and they need a coach who can focus on the youth at the club, which is actually quite good.

These are all the reasons I hope it doesn’t happen.

Ironically, the best manager that United appointed in the years since Fergie was Moyes, but the first manager was always going to be sacrificed to the gods. He would be an even better choice now, but I can’t imagine he would want to consider that. He has a great thing going in East London and West Ham could even establish itself in the Top 6 in time, with Spurs the likely victim.

United ITKs saying it’s Pochettino and he’s open to leaving PSG. Bit of a kick in the nuts for PSG to have Messi, Mbappe and a decent shot at the champions league but still have their manager fuck off to England.

United ITKs saying it’s Pochettino and he’s open to leaving PSG. Bit of a kick in the nuts for PSG to have Messi, Mbappe and a decent shot at the champions league but still have their manager fuck off to England.

He’s getting sacked if they don’t win the CL.

To be honest I think Pochettino is a bit overrated. Am I the only one? He has a marginally better win percentage than Jose Mourinho while at Spurs albeit over a longer period of time. But nothing about him as a manager makes him believe he can come in a turn them into a league winning side. He's only proven so far that his teams chokes when in the final stages of actually winning something.

Erik ten Haag though. That would be something else. With Woodward stepping down they could do worse than Van der Sar as CEO and Overmars as Director of Football. Lets hope they're not so smart and continue with the same appointments they have been doing since Ferguson retired.

Saw a rumour that Utd want Brands, currently at Everton, as their Director of Football.
With a current record of Yerry Mina, Gbamin, Iwobi, James Rodriguez, Andre Gomes and Delph that sounds great.

PSG will probably be quite happy about that if it means they are getting Zidane.

I think they have to suck it up with Maguire and admit they got it wrong... Maguire is a semi decent defender but should I don't think he's ever going to be the top class defender that United where hoping he was going to be.

I think they thought they were getting the English VVD when they bought him. But that Red card tackle he did against Watford shows you the difference in a nutshell between VVD and Maguire. VVD only goes to ground when he has to. I might be wrong but I would imagine VVD has one of the lowest rates for defenders that go to ground. Its all about intelligent movement and anticipation with VVD, Maguire has none of that.

It seems that Poch would be the best choice and I think he could be successful.

He was stifled by Levy at Spurs, but took them as far as it was possible, which has been proven since he left. He had them playing with a unified idea and with good balance across the pitch. He also had the courage to put Messi on the bench (perhaps only once), but that is exactly where Ronaldo needs to go.

He was never a good fit for PSG, that is where Zidane could/should land, and they need a coach who can focus on the youth at the club, which is actually quite good.

These are all the reasons I hope it doesn’t happen.

Ironically, the best manager that United appointed in the years since Fergie was Moyes, but the first manager was always going to be sacrificed to the gods. He would be an even better choice now, but I can’t imagine he would want to consider that. He has a great thing going in East London and West Ham could even establish itself in the Top 6 in time, with Spurs the likely victim.

Nonsense. A club legend like Rio is the best choice.

I think they have to suck it up with Maguire and admit they got it wrong... Maguire is a semi decent defender but should I don't think he's ever going to be the top class defender that United where hoping he was going to be.

I think they thought they were getting the English VVD when they bought him. But that Red card tackle he did against Watford shows you the difference in a nutshell between VVD and Maguire. VVD only goes to ground when he has to. I might be wrong but I would imagine VVD has one of the lowest rates for defenders that go to ground. Its all about intelligent movement and anticipation with VVD, Maguire has none of that.

Good.

I hope the keep the useless fucker as captain and make sure he’s the first name on the team sheet every week along with that lazy fucker Ronaldo and the footballing genius that is Fred.

There is very little that would be more satisfying.

I can't help wondering whether that embarrassment of riches they have up front has been at least part of the problem. Squeezing those two AND Neymar into the same team was always going to be a tester.

Yea, I get the Ronaldo arguments, but a shrewd enough manager would be able to integrate him into a team, particularly a counter attacking one, which united were.

The key would have been to played a fairly old fashioned 4-4-2, and get someone to do the donkey work up front next to Ronaldo.
Yeah but we're talking about Ole here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom