• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester United v Liverpool Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha OK give you that. But it's also true most people don't realise the earth isn't perfectly round.

It's actually really round, if it was scaled down it'd be rounder than most balls, snooker, bowling and similar. So calling it a sphere is more accurate than calling any ball a sphere.

Last edited:
Ooh, now I’m torn.

Don't be. Froggy is correct to say it's not perfectly round, you can argue over what shape to technically call it, but it's not perfectly round. My point was, for all practical purposes it is, as nothing the scale of the earth is perfectly round, so to call someone incorrect for saying it's spherical is being overly pedantic.

Don't be. Froggy is correct to say it's not perfectly round, you can argue over what shape to technically call it, but it's not perfectly round. My point was, for all practical purposes it is, as nothing the scale of the earth is perfectly round, so to call someone incorrect for saying it's spherical is being overly pedantic.
Smoothness is different from roundness...

I was taught it is more orange shaped, in that it is slightly squashed at the poles and bulges at the equator. But that was back when I was at school when the P in MYBP wasn't that far in the past

I was taught it is more orange shaped, in that it is slightly squashed at the poles and bulges at the equator. But that was back when I was at school when the P in MYBP wasn't that far in the past
Indeed, isn't it kinda obvious that when something is spinning powerfully on an axis, that it's going to slightly bulge along to equatorial line due to immense centrifugal forces.

You're all correct, my point is that that point is overstated, and actually doesn't need to be made.
Another example, if you had a high def screen, the difference between height and width is about one pixel. It's 40 odd Kms out of 12,500, which is less than statically significant.

And Everest isn't even a pimple on the earth's arse, nor the Mariana Trench a mere scratch, right?

And Everest is the highest mountain on earth but it's not the tallest...
That will catch out many.

However another fact that surprised me : All of the Top 100 highest terrestrial mountains on earth are in the Himalayas (actually well more than the Top 100).

That will catch out many.

However another fact that surprised me : All of the Top 100 highest terrestrial mountains on earth are in the Himalayas (actually well more than the Top 100).
I thought it was generally common knowledge that Mauna Loa was the tallest mountain

Isn’t Mauna Loa a volcano and only half the height of Everest?
It's the equivalent of being taller than someone but they live in the flat above yours. You are taller than them but their head is higher above sea level than yours...

It is a volcano, but as it rises from the seabed, while it isn't as high as Everest it is taller

Of course I may be totally wrong

I took to google. Mauna Kea wins it.

[article]
World’s tallest mountain
Mt. Everest, which stands at 8,850 meters (29,035 feet) above sea level, undeniably has the “highest altitude” in the world. The distinction for the tallest mountain in the word, however, belongs to Mauna Kea which has an altitude of only 4,205 meters (13,796 feet).

The catch: it’s a dormant volcano on the island of Hawaii which is about 19,700 feet below the Pacific Ocean. In other words, more than half of it is submerged. When you add everything together, Mauna Kea is over 10,000 meters tall or way taller than the 8,850 meters of Mount Everest – making it the “world’s tallest mountain.
[/article]

I thought it was one called k2 or something similar that was almost all below sea level.
2nd highest terrestrial mountain in the world. Much MUCH tougher to climb than Everest. I'm following a party trying to climb it now (there are two groups vying to be the first to summit in Winter - likely neither will make it as the weather defeats everyone). A few years ago a British expedition were literally picked off the side of the mountain by the high winds (K2 is much more exposed than Everest) and thrown to their deaths.

http://racetracker.es/rtc/track_34

Last edited:
2nd highest terrestrial mountain in the world. Much MUCH tougher to climb than Everest. I'm following a party trying to climb it now (there are two groups vying to be the first to summit in Winter - likely neither will make it as the weather defeats everyone). A few years ago a British expedition were literally picked off the side of the mountain by the high winds (K2 is much more exposed than Everest) and thrown to their deaths.

http://racetracker.es/rtc/track_34
Isn't the mortality rate for K2 climbers something like 40%, or similarly ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom