• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

JoGo (Joe Gomez)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
I know I've shitted on him plenty of times, I wanted him gone, but this season he has been a revelation imho. I am now comfortable seeing him selected, I've seen him make less mistakes than Konate

Back up to Trent, no problems....he's got the energy and pace to get up and down the flank to good use, glad to see him doing well there when he gets the chance.

With that said, still don't and probably never will trust him to be a regular CB in this team again.

He looks a little bit like bambi on ice whenever he finds himself in midfield with the ball, as the new “Trent role” requires. He probably has enough technique and physicality to comfortably escape pressure most of the time, but he is just not used being surrounded on all sides and often makes the wrong decision and loses the ball. Actually that reminds me of a tendency he has regardless of position - getting into a physical tussle and losing it decisively, so the attacker runs free while Gomez is on his arse, complaining about being fouled.

Other than that, he’s all right ;) To be fair, he does look better this season, particularly at RB. But he is a more conventional RB than our other options in that position - someone like Bradley or Bajcetic would feel completely natural drifting into midfield, while Gomez only does it because Klopp and Lijnders tell him to.

Last edited:
He looks good going forward at times, but I realised that he actually offers us nothing

He's just ok playing as a sub for Trent 1.0 nothing remarkable.

The thing that gets me is that he's still just criminally bad dealing with your bog standard wellied ball into some space behind him. When he is facing our goal and the ball is lofted, he doesn't have a fucking clue. He never has and he he never will. That's an issue in any league, but definitely in this one. Now, we have the world's best ever defender at dealing with aerial shit, so it's fine, and at right back it's slightly less important, but even so, there's a reason I know it's still a deficiency, because it still comes up.

We have been lured into thinking he deserves a starting place before. Whenever he gets near the starting 11 in place of other CBs, all the glaring deficiencies comes up again. Last season he wasn't fit for purpose at all. I am happy for him to stay as a squad player. A usual mistake here and there from him could be the difference between a title challenge and not. We just couldn't trust him based on what we have seen over the past 3 seasons or so.

Remember this? Painful.

The 25-year-old, who was substituted on 73 minutes, won zero tackles, made zero blocks and lost possession six times. Gomez failed to close down Vinicius Jr for his and Real Madrid's first goal, and then gave away the freekick which put the Spanish champions in front following an Eder Militao header.

2 sides to this.

He’s a good squad player, knows the team and the system - has the attributes we need at CB - strong, mobile, fast and technically proficient. He also seems to work hard and isn’t a disruptive influence to the team if he’s not playing. Added to that he’s home grown and club trained - which means he’s valuable to us.

He’s also flexible enough to be able to play across any position in the back four - which is rare and he’s young enough to only be hitting peak years.

In that respect, if he seems to have gotten over his injury problems and started to get into sone consistent form - then he’s work keeping as a top quality squad player.

However, the flip side is - if he does stay fit for the rest of the season and keep up his consistency - then his value will likely be back up towards what could be considered it’s peak - so if we ever were going to cash in then next summer is the time - shouldn’t be too hard to get Todd Boehly to part with £50m if he’s still allowed to buy players.

He’d be better than anyone Utd have at CB too - just tell Ten Blag that Gomez used to play for Ajax or something.

I doubt anyone is going to pay £50m for JoGo and I would be very reluctant to sell for anything below £37m.

He's 26, usually adequate, occasionally very good, able and willing to play in two different positions we need cover in, is a happy member of the squad and most importantly homegrown. It's a very useful profile to have. If we sold him we might end up buying someone with the exact same profile for the same money.

Of course, we can't always resist Boehly, and he is a London boy after all..........

Klopp didn't sell Ox, why would he sell Gomez?

I don’t think he will - but, again it’s a but, Ox wasn’t really fit during transfer windows or had a run of solid form leading up to one, which might have made him attractive.

I wouldn’t sell Gomez, personally, but if we wanted, it’s approaching a point where it might be worth it.

End of the day with Klopp - if the player wants to leave, we’ll sell, if the player is disruptive, we’ll sell, if the player isn’t putting the effort in or contributing, we’ll sell - if he’s doing what Gomez is doing now, and to be fair, what he’s always done, then keep him as long as he’s happy and committed.

At sone point he’ll want a new challenge or something along those lines.

He’s 26 and won’t turn 27 until the end of the season, been here from 2015 (the only player left not signed or brought through the ranks under Klopp).

I also think he’s already developing into a “mentor type” player - I like he’s an “under the radar captain” for minor games.

I have a lot of time for him - he’s had injury problems, for sure, but he can be exceptionally good from time to time.

He looks a little bit like bambi on ice whenever he finds himself in midfield with the ball, as the new “Trent role” requires. He probably has enough technique and physicality to comfortably escape pressure most of the time, but he is just not used being surrounded on all sides and often makes the wrong decision and loses the ball. Actually that reminds me of a tendency he has regardless of position - getting into a physical tussle and losing it decisively, so the attacker runs free while Gomez is on his arse, complaining about being fouled.

Other than that, he’s all right ;) To be fair, he does look better this season, particularly at RB. But he is a more conventional RB than our other options in that position - someone like Bradley or Bajcetic would feel completely natural drifting into midfield, while Gomez only does it because Klopp and Lijnders tell him to.
I have seen a huge improvement from JoGo, and I gave him sh1t, I gave Elliott and CJ shit too and they're all telling me to STFU this season.
@StevieM £50m valuation is right, young English, prem proven and fast. If cluns are stupid enough to pay £60m for Shite Harvartz and £55m Mason Mounting to Nothing they'll pay £50m for JoGo, but he isn't looking to move nor does Klopp want to see him leave

Havartz and Mount have been considered very good players for long periods, and the jury is still out even though they're not performing to previous levels. Gomez had a good breakthrough season and has been a joke since. Twenty million is the absolute max anyone would pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom