• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pokémon Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m fine with his flaws because that’s not what has prevented us having this period of success. The way I see it is “if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid”.

Defending isn’t his skill set but we’ve managed to utilise his skills to maximum effect. We just are not playing in a way to do that which magnifies his flaws even more.

I don't know. I just refuse to believe that a shift in position will be of detriment to him. He more or less takes up those positions and does the most damage from there anyway. Maybe that's basic, but I just feel the whole idea of setting up the system to make him work is kind of failing to see the wood for the trees. If you have to tailor the entire system to make him function, wouldn't it be of more benefit to the team, to make him function on his own (for want of a better term), than to surround him by a few players set up to protect him and give a platform for him to perform?

I get that you have to counter defensive and attacking players and strike balance, but doing this with Trent just seems an unnecessary complication. Unleash the lad.

Maybe, but there's still the risk that when asked to defend, he'll struggle. That's always going to be there and always was there. You get the best out of his attacking play and it takes some pressure off him, but teams will still target him and he'll still struggle.

I'm done with him as a defender, he's a joke when asked to defend and everything that every bellend said about him from opposition teams and at International level has rang true. He's an awful defender, while lesser more defensively able players are getting the nod over him as a result. I don't care about England, but his progression has suffered because of his flaws, had he progressed as an international it would have elevated him more as a player.

If we’re being fair, you’ve been done with him for a long time…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom