• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jan Transfer Window (rumours, wishes, exists and formation change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I cant see us signing Amrabat. He had a great World cup and will surely get a big money move somewhere after that but I dont think it would be to us.
We will be after better players that are better suited to the way Klopp will want to set up his midfield.

Khephren Thuram has been mentioned as a possibility. I assume we're still interested in Caicedo but Brighton might just be asking for too much.

I don’t - we don’t have a place in the squad for him.

My money is on either someone who can be registered as an U21 (Enzo Fernandez) or a home-grown player who can be registered (Rice).
Caicedo I think will be our target. Can be registered as u21 too. Alternatively, we could omit Arthur and create another spot.

I don’t - we don’t have a place in the squad for him.

My money is on either someone who can be registered as an U21 (Enzo Fernandez) or a home-grown player who can be registered (Rice).
@StevieM is finally right, I've counted the numbers. We have our maximum allocation of non-homegrown players. We just have to hope the inevitable happens with Naby and or Melo, they get injured soon.

Why? We don't exactly sell players any more, we let them play out their contract.

We’re more likely to fulfil @Kay Age El ’s fantasy and sign someone Danish fucker than any of the self-hard-on inducing fuckers you’ve been trying to tear the head off to.

@StevieM is finally right, I've counted the numbers. We have our maximum allocation of non-homegrown players. We just have to hope the inevitable happens with Naby and or Melo, they get injured soon.

I’ve been right from the start - we can sign anyone currently under the age off 22 from anyone in the world or someone that’s classified as home grown as is any age.

It’s the fact he’s shit AND 26.
But he doesn't say he think he's shit, he just says signing a player that turns 27 next year is dumb?

So would signing a good 26 year old be that too....help me understand.

Yeah I really don't get the thing over peak age 26/27yr olds, its a dumb attitude, it's like we've swallowed the whole thing about our own blueprint, its so myopic and shortsighted. People have spent too much time listening to all-knowing gobshites like Ross and Dantes.

I would've thought the reasons were obvious, but I'll spell them out:
  1. You can count on your fingers the number of players who've moved to the PL after age 26/27 and been successful. The few examples you'll get are absolute world class players like Thiago or Thiago Silva. They are mostly the exception. For every Thiago, you have a Veron or Schweinsteiger or Shevchenko. England is very difficult to adapt to, and if you're getting a player who's never played in England before, best get them at a younger age.
  2. From a value perspective, if you're spending 40-50 million, it makes complete sense to target someone in the 21-25 age bracket. Not only are you likely to get their peak years, but given that most contracts in football are 4-5 years, you're likely getting them for two contract cycles with resale value on or before the second contract. That's mostly impossible if you're signing a 26/27 year old, because the player will be 31-32 by the time his first contract ends. There are some exceptions to this rule - VVD and Alisson are the most obvious examples. But they're top 3 in the world at their respective positions. Is Amrabat remotely comparable? Worth considering that defenders and keepers tend to age better. You could argue that about a certain kind of DM as well (say Busquets or Fernandinho), but not about an all-action midfielder who's reliant on energy and athleticism to be effective.
  3. Given that our entire midfield is full of 30+ players or teenagers, does it really make sense to sign a soon to be 27 year old who likely has 2-3 years left in his physical peak? We need more players in the 21-25 age bracket in midfield - this much is surely obvious.
  4. We have finite resources. Is it really good value to spend 40 million on a slightly older player, who was frankly totally unknown before the World Cup given that he'll almost certainly have no resale value if he busts? With a younger player, you can almost always recoup a decent portion of your fees.

To Binnifi the above for Binomial benifit - he’s 27 and shit.

I would've thought the reasons were obvious, but I'll spell them out:
  1. You can count on your fingers the number of players who've moved to the PL after age 26/27 and been successful. The few examples you'll get are absolute world class players like Thiago or Thiago Silva. They are mostly the exception. For every Thiago, you have a Veron or Schweinsteiger or Shevchenko. England is very difficult to adapt to, and if you're getting a player who's never played in England before, best get them at a younger age.
  2. From a value perspective, if you're spending 40-50 million, it makes complete sense to target someone in the 21-25 age bracket. Not only are you likely to get their peak years, but given that most contracts in football are 4-5 years, you're likely getting them for two contract cycles with resale value on or before the second contract. That's mostly impossible if you're signing a 26/27 year old, because the player will be 31-32 by the time his first contract ends. There are some exceptions to this rule - VVD and Alisson are the most obvious examples. But they're top 3 in the world at their respective positions. Is Amrabat remotely comparable? Worth considering that defenders and keepers tend to age better. You could argue that about a certain kind of DM as well (say Busquets or Fernandinho), but not about an all-action midfielder who's reliant on energy and athleticism to be effective.
  3. Given that our entire midfield is full of 30+ players or teenagers, does it really make sense to sign a soon to be 27 year old who likely has 2-3 years left in his physical peak? We need more players in the 21-25 age bracket in midfield - this much is surely obvious.
  4. We have finite resources. Is it really good value to spend 40 million on a slightly older player, who was frankly totally unknown before the World Cup given that he'll almost certainly have no resale value if he busts? With a younger player, you can almost always recoup a decent portion of your fees.

This is the thing, I'm not saying we should focus solely on 26-27yr olds, just that we shouldnt rule them out for the right price and under the right conditions. So because we have 30yr olds in midfield we shouldn't sign anyone who is 3-4yrs younger? Two of the examples you highlighted were in their 30s when they moved to England, it's not remotely the same thing.

Last edited:
Hopefully BS, he is 27 and that's old for a winger

[article]

Reds ‘leading race’ for Napoli ace
Liverpool are in ‘pole position’ to secure the signing of Napoli winger Hirving Lozano in January as they aim to quickly follow-up the transfer of Gakpo with another arrival.
Lozano arrived as Napoli’s record signing in 2019 after signing a five-year-deal from PSV. He has since gone on to record 30 goals and 16 assists in 133 games for the Italian giants, including four goals and three assists this campaign.
According to Italian outlet Calciomercato, Liverpool could be about to land the Mexican speedster after moving to the front of the queue, with i
0_GettyImages-1243745751.jpg

[/article]

Hopefully BS, he is 27 and that's old for a winger

[article]

Reds ‘leading race’ for Napoli ace
Liverpool are in ‘pole position’ to secure the signing of Napoli winger Hirving Lozano in January as they aim to quickly follow-up the transfer of Gakpo with another arrival.
Lozano arrived as Napoli’s record signing in 2019 after signing a five-year-deal from PSV. He has since gone on to record 30 goals and 16 assists in 133 games for the Italian giants, including four goals and three assists this campaign.
According to Italian outlet Calciomercato, Liverpool could be about to land the Mexican speedster after moving to the front of the queue, with i
0_GettyImages-1243745751.jpg

[/article]

Quick - stick him on your transfer list so we can be sure we’re not signing him!!!

Mac Allister could be available for £34m according to some rags as the guy is angling a move to Juve who with their troubles are in no position to spend money. There are a tonne of MFs that could be better value than Enzo unsless Enzo turns out to be the next Xavi or Iniesta

Mac Allister could be available for £34m according to some rags as the guy is angling a move to Juve who with their troubles are in no position to spend money. There are a tonne of MFs that could be better value than Enzo unsless Enzo turns out to be the next Xavi or Iniesta

In the game against Brighton where we drew 3-3 I think - was he not given the MOM ? - he must be good if he got that playing against us right ?

In the game against Brighton where we drew 3-3 I think - was he not given the MOM ? - he must be good if he got that playing against us right ?
He's is in esteemed company then because just about everyone has overrun our midfield.

He is a no nonsense player without theatrics but has output. Also, if we did get Enzo, there's going to be so much pressure to live upto his price tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom