• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Its back baby!!! Superbowl BABY!!

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at Roethlisberger is because people think he's a dick. His footballing ability stands up to any level of scrutiny.

Defining "the best" is tricky, and this is going to be a ramble more than a precise criterion. I mean, Brady has more rings than Elway, but does anyone think he was a better passer? Marino never won the big one. It can be frustrating talking about intangibles as they are by their very nature unquantifiable, but sometimes you look past the stats and the rings when judging a player.

In terms of the quarterbacks active right now, Brady and Manning have been doing it for years. Personally, I believe Manning is technically a better quarterback than Brady, but Brady is a greater player. By that I'm talking about Brady's ability to get it done. He's probably past his best now, and perhaps his Patriots teams have let opportunities slide that would have cemented him as the greatest quarterback of all time, but he is an archetype for what you want as a professional footballer. Manning has always had this label of sitting in it on the big stage, which goes back to his time with Tennessee (the big losses to Florida and the beasting they took off Nebraska in the Orange Bowl when the national title was up for grabs), and you look at the Colts regular season record under him and then their post-season record and I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected more from them under Manning (although, perhaps their current form without him suggests that he WAS working miracles? Hard to say).

I think Roethlisberger sits just below those two in the hierarchy. I like stats, but I prefer players who turn stats into rings, and Roethlisberger has done that. Similarly, I enjoy laughing at Tony Romo because his stats are often outrageous (third highest regular season career passer rating), but you KNOW he's going to lay a fucking egg at some point (look at his post-season passer rating...). You just know it. Roethlisberger has got his rings and still has a great team and loads of time. As I alluded to at the top, the only thing that can tarnish Roethlisberger's legacy is Roethlisberger himself and his sticky fingers.

You mentioned Aaron Rodgers. I think he's a ridiculously good player, and I believe he is better than Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger. He's only in his fourth year as a starter though, so he has to maintain it. But last year he was less than 80 yards away from going over 4000, which would have been three out of three 4000 yard seasons as a pro starter. And this season he's taking the fucking piss. He's throwing at a rating of over 130 with 73% completion, he has already matched his TD total from two of his three previous years, and only has 3 picks. I don't ever remember a quarterback starting this well. Of course, it could all go to shit in the second half (and obviously in Wisconsin it will get progressively harder to rack up those numbers late in the season due to the weather), but right now he is spectacular. When it's all said and done, I think he could be the best there has ever been.

So, my heart says Rodgers is the best right now, but my head keeps him out of the top tier for now as he's only just getting started. If the Packers repeat though... (and this Packers team is good, but not great - on defense they have some issues. Rodgers is driving this whole team along in remarkable fashion).

But yeah, Rodgers aside, only Manning and Brady can be spoken of above Roethlisberger, and he'll probably be spoken about on the same level as them by the time he's done.

Cheers buddy, really appreciate that. As i said im way to biased, I think Ben is Jesus walking (as a player of course). I thought Brees could have been one of the best but he seems to have gone off a bit.
I grew up in the Marino, Moon, Essiason, Elway era when there were a bunch of greats but I think the current crop (vick, brees even Romo and the rooks) have the potential to be as good an Era.
Its a long way from the days when you had Aikman aaaaaand.......

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=46797.msg1426442#msg1426442 date=1321378222]
I grew up in the Marino, Moon, Essiason, Elway era when there were a bunch of greats but I think the current crop (vick, brees even Romo and the rooks) have the potential to be as good an Era.
[/quote]

He's a Bears fan mate ... Rico and I are the 'Boys fans here.

Romo is in no way whatsoever ready to be put in discussion when talking about the first few QBs you mentioned ... No way whatsoever. If he plays like he did Saturday for the next few years, I'll think about adding him.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=46797.msg1426450#msg1426450 date=1321380847]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=46797.msg1426442#msg1426442 date=1321378222]
[/quote]

Romo is in no way whatsoever ready to be put in discussion when talking about the first few QBs you mentioned ... No way whatsoever. If he plays like he did Saturday for the next few years, I'll think about adding him.
[/quote]I know hes a bears fan!?
Im not saying Romo or brees or any individual is a Marino or a Moon, I simply mean that In Brady, Manning, Manning, Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Vick, Romo, Hasslebaick etc its a really strong time for QB's certainly the strongest since that era.

Romo will never get the cowboys to the level they want to be at. Any chance Jerry Jones will pull off some monster Andrew Luck trade?

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=46797.msg1426504#msg1426504 date=1321388546]
Romo will never get the cowboys to the level they want to be at. Any chance Jerry Jones will pull off some monster Andrew Luck trade?
[/quote]

1 in a billion.

B16AAA11EFD5B733A07C18_Large.jpg

I love it when Jerry catches the trade crazy. Roy Williams was pretty funny, but Herschel Walker was the funniest shit I ever saw.

Thing is, if the Rams get the number one then a trade is on.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=46797.msg1426718#msg1426718 date=1321439907]
I love it when Jerry catches the trade crazy. Roy Williams was pretty funny, but Herschel Walker was the funniest shit I ever saw.

Thing is, if the Rams get the number one then a trade is on.
[/quote]

I guess Roy Williams / Joey Galloway was God's retribution for Herschel Walker.

But boy oh boy what a great trade that Walker trade was. It made the Cowboys of the early 90s.

The Favre to Houston talk has already begun. Christ, I hope he gets in his truck and drives his circus to Texas.

The Messiah won again, this time with a 95 yard drive with 5 minutes left on a 20 yard scramble. Denver beats the 'Super Bowl contender' Jets 17-13.

Get on the bandwagon lads, the Messiah will redeem us all.

Where did Von Miller come from!?!?

Seriously? Von Miller was probably the best athlete in the draft. Didn't the Broncos take him like second or something? He was a fucking animal for the Aggies. He needs five and half sacks in the remaining six games to set an all time rookie record. He's going to get a fine for nuking Sanchez last night though. He's already been fined for wiping out Carson Palmer. Total fucking stud though.

Loving Tebow. It makes no type of sense. The Broncos are REALLY bad and watching them is painful. They had more punts than completed passes for fuck's sake. But the lad knows how to win. He just fucking insists on it.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=46797.msg1427973#msg1427973 date=1321618285]

Seriously? Von Miller was probably the best athlete in the draft.
[/quote]

Yah but who would have thought he'd be this good? (not me!)

Tebow is going to win Denver a Superbowl. He'll probably complete 3 passes all game but they'll win.

Denver was always my team so when it comes to a QB disucssion I'll take a winner over a stat merchant very time. Elway / Marino is always Elway.

Fucking Oklahoma State. Now we're going to get another field goal snooze fest between LSU and Alabama in the national title game.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=46797.msg1426465#msg1426465 date=1321382418]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=46797.msg1426450#msg1426450 date=1321380847]
[/quote]

[/quote]I know hes a bears fan!?
Im not saying Romo or brees or any individual is a Marino or a Moon, I simply mean that In Brady, Manning, Manning, Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Vick, Romo, Hasslebaick etc its a really strong time for QB's certainly the strongest since that era.
[/quote]

Where's alex smith on that list ?

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=46797.msg1429352#msg1429352 date=1321817908]

Dolphins have totally torched the Bills. They've dropped off a cliff worse than you lot.
[/quote]

Is that because everyone has figured out Fitzpatrick isn't accurate downfield ?

And the fact that their pass rush has apparently retired. And tight ends just run amok across the middle against them. Dreadful.

Cowboys, predictably, are choking ... down 17-10, with special teams at fault so far ... going to be interesting to see if we can regain momentum

Man watching Jason Witten is so much fun ... One of the best TEs of all time, and he's not even 30 yet me thinks.

What a surprise, the Deadskins play like their lives depend on it having mailed it in the previous 5 weeks.........unlucky :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom