• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Enter Shaqiri (Done Deal!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pearce didn't say the Shaqiri interest wasn't serious, he said it wasn't the highest priority. He didn't say we're not in for a new CB. He didn't say the Fakir transfer story was a mystery, he said his sources in France insisted the deal could still be on, while his LFC sources were being strangely 'non-committal'.

Seriously? Then you don't know enough about the whole thing.

They were getting targeted by the Serbian fans in the stadium and responded in the best way possible (from a footy point of view) - scoring and giving them a gesture a bit more poignant than flipping the bird.

They were getting targeted by the Serbian fans in the stadium and responded in the best way possible (from a footy point of view) - scoring and giving them a gesture a bit more poignant than flipping the bird.

Don’t see an issue either, Serbs gave it loads and three players were constantly targeted and booed through out the game by the fans so good on them giving something back. Trolled well and truly.
Also, Switzerland have historically of making theirs immigrant feel like outsiders. Just look up Mr Switzerland Lichensteiner’s comments on his team mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the problem, how many players can you think of good enough to replace Mane for 2 months with no impact that are going to be happy to be benchwarmers for most of the season. The only way that happens is if we sign an emerging world class player, and we wont get any of them for £12m. I think for the money involved hes the sort of player that adds depth in an area we are badly lacking.
Fortunately for us, there is a glut of exciting young WFs plying their trade in Europe at the moment, and they're available in various price brackets.

The top ones like Pulisic and Dembele would obviously be very expensive (70-80 million).

But there's another bracket, which includes says Brandt, Bailey, Malcom, Depay, Lozano, Thauvin, Zaha, Pavon, Insigne who'd be available for 30-50 million.

There are also a bunch of rawer prospects like Gelson Martins, Ismaila Sarr, David Neres, Sisto, Bergwijn who'd be available for 10-20 million.

Roma just signed one in Justin Kluivert for about 15 million.

I'd take many of those names before Shaqiri, who's never had sustained success at any club despite the fact that he's 27, and should be in his prime.

If the Fekir deal has collapsed, we could even try and re-orient our transfer strategy a bit, and spend more on the WF than the no. 9/no. 10 backup. For me, it's a position of greater priority because the chance of injury to pacy players like Mane and Salah is just greater than to any other member of our attacking lineup.

Fortunately for us, there is a glut of exciting young WFs plying their trade in Europe at the moment, and they're available in various price brackets.

The top ones like Pulisic and Dembele would obviously be very expensive (70-80 million).

But there's another bracket, which includes says Brandt, Bailey, Malcom, Depay, Lozano, Thauvin, Zaha, Pavon, Insigne who'd be available for 30-50 million.

There are also a bunch of rawer prospects like Gelson Martins, Ismaila Sarr, David Neres, Sisto, Bergwijn who'd be available for 10-20 million.

Roma just signed one in Justin Kluivert for about 15 million.

I'd take many of those names before Shaqiri, who's never had sustained success at any club despite the fact that he's 27, and should be in his prime.

If the Fekir deal has collapsed, we could even try and re-orient our transfer strategy a bit, and spend more on the WF than the no. 9/no. 10 backup. For me, it's a position of greater priority because the chance of injury to pacy players like Mane and Salah is just greater than to any other member of our attacking lineup.

I think you are underestimating the cost of the top 2 categories

Pulisic and Dembele would cost 100 minimum. The next tier 50 minimum.

Shaqiri is an uninspiring but a sensible purchase for a backup to our front three. Who knows, if Jürgen can train out his selfish streak and get him to click as part of the team, he could be quite handy.

He's probably the best we can realistically hope for in the position given the fortune we're going to have to spend on a new keeper.

Shaqiri is an uninspiring but a sensible purchase for a backup to our front three. Who knows, if Jürgen can train out his selfish streak and get him to click as part of the team, he could be quite handy.

I actually think he is the perfect player to fill that role - no decent self-respecting player of 'WORLD CLASS' quality will ever sign to sit down on his arse waiting for a chance. With him it's kinda different as I can see him been used in most games as a sub and gives us so many options to change the formation.

This year's Boudewijn Zenden.

Quite possible, also seems like a fairly good indication our first choice options havent panned out. His release clause was known publicly ages ago, feels like this is a fallback option.

13 mill is good business for a back up like that. Not the most inspiring signing but gives some options and squad depth.

Zenden and Shaqiri have about zero in common btw.

Yeah. Zen den was slow and had no skills.
A very different player, but I think Ryan’s talking about the relative effectiveness of both players to our team. Which I disagree with. Shaqiri will provide us with a lot more I think. He scares oppositions while Zenden has fuck all effect in anything.

Yeah. Zen den was slow and had no skills.
A very different player, but I think Ryan’s talking about the relative effectiveness of both players to our team. Which I disagree with. Shaqiri will provide us with a lot more I think. He scares oppositions while Zenden has fuck all effect in anything.
Zenden was bought to give us Balance

I fucking hate that word.. It was Rafa favourite word

Rafa was Balance
Rodgers was Character

I'm happy with us signing him, much better than most of the bench, and significantly better than Bolo Zenden was when we signed him.

Not a signing I'd have been looking at personally, but then neither was Mo Salah, so there you go. He's a Liverpool player now so he'll have my support as long as I think he deserves it.

Not a signing I'd have been looking at personally, but then neither was Mo Salah, so there you go. He's a Liverpool player now so he'll have my support as long as I think he deserves it.

Yeah, but Salah had no profile here, he played about twice for Chelsea.

Shaqiri has been in the Premier league for three years. And still nobody here wanted him.

I'd be worried about his mentality/ego if he is resigned to the bench, and the impact he would have on the development of Solanke/Wilson/Woodburn if he steals their playing minutes, HOWEVER he is a potential match winner who I think is a good addition to our attack for the fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom