• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Enter Shaqiri (Done Deal!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't want him. He looks good in tournaments, and scores a world every now and again, but over the course of a season, he's always been inconsistent and shit.

I doubt that's going to change at age 27. Plus he's a total bellend.

I dont really think he needs to be that all consistent. He needs to play 30 mins a week or the occasional cup game so we can stop running the likes of Mane and Salah into the ground. If he can do that without seeing the tempo and shape of the attack completely collapse as it does now when we remove one of the wide players then its well worth £12m.

I dont really think he needs to be that all consistent. He needs to play 30 mins a week or the occasional cup game so we can stop running the likes of Mane and Salah into the ground. If he can do that without seeing the tempo and shape of the attack completely collapse as it does now when we remove one of the wide players then its well worth £12m.
Getting a capable back up for Mane and Salah doesn't mean someone just for a bench role. We were lucky that both Mane and Salah enjoyed injury free campaigns last season. It's perfectly possible that any one or both of them could miss a month or two through injury/suspension this coming season. Getting a backup is also to provide for that contingency.

Would Shaqiri then step up as a starting calibre player?

Getting a capable back up for Mane and Salah doesn't mean someone just for a bench role. We were lucky that both Mane and Salah enjoyed injury free campaigns last season. It's perfectly possible that any one or both of them could miss a month or two through injury/suspension this coming season. Getting a backup is also to provide for that contingency.

Would Shaqiri then step up as a starting calibre player?

Thats the problem, how many players can you think of good enough to replace Mane for 2 months with no impact that are going to be happy to be benchwarmers for most of the season. The only way that happens is if we sign an emerging world class player, and we wont get any of them for £12m. I think for the money involved hes the sort of player that adds depth in an area we are badly lacking.

Thats the problem, how many players can you think of good enough to replace Mane for 2 months with no impact that are going to be happy to be benchwarmers for most of the season. The only way that happens is if we sign an emerging world class player, and we wont get any of them for £12m. I think for the money involved hes the sort of player that adds depth in an area we are badly lacking.

Is paying more than 12m and getting an emerging world class talent an option?

Is paying more than 12m and getting an emerging world class talent an option?
I'm sure it is.

I don't see this as mutually exclusive to getting in a quality backup for the front three in any way shape or form though.

We know klopp has stubbornly refused to get players in 'to make up the numbers' because our salary/player numbers were deemed too high & he's all about quality not quantity.

However its fairly safe to assume that in our second year of cl football the number of games expected each season has risen as has our ability to pay more players without it effecting the bottom line due to that cl revenue.

As such I have no qualms whatsoever about getting in a couple of experienced players that can just 'do a job' when required. I did actually actively argue against that last summer simply because had we had a nightmare in the league & ended up not qualifying for the CL then the salary demands from the squad may have prevented us strengthening*. I don't believe that will be the case anymore

*Not that we don't have the cash, but the owners obv won't spend more than X percentage of revenue on salary or transfers as we've all now realised.

I'm sure it is.

I don't see this as mutually exclusive to getting in a quality backup for the front three in any way shape or form though.

We know klopp has stubbornly refused to get players in 'to make up the numbers' because our salary/player numbers were deemed too high & he's all about quality not quantity.

However its fairly safe to assume that in our second year of cl football the number of games expected each season has risen as has our ability to pay more players without it effecting the bottom line due to that cl revenue.

As such I have no qualms whatsoever about getting in a couple of experienced players that can just 'do a job' when required. I did actually actively argue against that last summer simply because had we had a nightmare in the league & ended up not qualifying for the CL then the salary demands from the squad may have prevented us strengthening*. I don't believe that will be the case anymore

*Not that we don't have the cash, but the owners obv won't spend more than X percentage of revenue on salary or transfers as we've all now realised.

That's fair enough I guess. I felt AOC was an unnecessary buy at the time and one that was doomed to failure, it certainly seemed that way for the first few months, it was almost like he'd just swapped Arsenal's bench and ineffective sub appearances for more of the same here. And then Klopp gradually got his teeth into him, turned him into a real force that really could actually play central and be both effective and a threat.

So I wouldn't ever doubt Klopp when it comes to attacking players because he improves every single one of them - Salah, Mane, Firmino, AOC and even Coutinho were all probably at their most productive under Klopp.

If he can do the same with Shaqiri then fair do's. My main concern is that his record isn't that great when he's not a guaranteed starter and his record across a full season when starting regularly is 7-8 goals tops. That's not too bad for a midfielder and some amazing playmakers (Fabrigas, Silva, Iniesta) have similar or even lesser stats, yet they are obviously so integral to what makes their respective teams tick. He's probably not going to be a regular, so he needs to lose the baggage, sulking and laziness if he's to succeed here and under a demanding work ethic. Getting this transfer would probably be his last shot at a big club I reckon.

I'm not going to hate on him if he does arrive, he needs to perform and all is then good, no agendas from me. If he's a Liverpool player and he improves us, no one can complain. If he's a gobshite and he plays up, then there can be no complaints at any criticism either.

As mark suggests, will he be OK with playing a back-up role? Happy in principle to sign a player initially as back-up who wants to force his way into the side (though that was Voronin's stated intention, so it's not always a good idea) but if we sign Shaqiri and he gets the hump in the event that it doesn't work out that way - and he seems the sort who might - I'm not so sure he'd necessarily represent value for money.

As mark suggests, will he be OK with playing a back-up role? Happy in principle to sign a player initially as back-up who wants to force his way into the side (though that was Voronin's stated intention, so it's not always a good idea) but if we sign Shaqiri and he gets the hump in the event that it doesn't work out that way - and he seems the sort who might - I'm not so sure he'd necessarily represent value for money.

I think he represents good value. If he performs well, great, if not we could easily get 8-10m back.

He is dynamic, has a great shot and can beat a player. He is definitely different to our more static, non-scoring options of Hendo/Milner/Gini.

I think he represents good value. If he performs well, great, if not we could easily get 8-10m back.

He is dynamic, has a great shot and can beat a player. He is definitely different to our more static, non-scoring options of Hendo/Milner/Gini.

One of the main reasons he's "definitely different" to our central midfield players, is because he isn't one

One of the main reasons he's "definitely different" to our central midfield players, is because he isn't one
To be fair, he could play at the tip of a midfield 3

I mean, I doubt he would, but there's no reason why he couldn't

Shaqiri (along with Xhaka) will probably get a 2 match ban for being a cunt.

Edit: Looks like itll be just a fine. Point still stands though

Shaqiri (along with Xhaka) will probably get a 2 match ban for being a cunt.

Edit: Looks like itll be just a fine. Point still stands though
For being a cunt ? For them it means something ... as it does to millions of others. That civil war isn't that long ago and memories in that part of the world last a lifetime and more.

Politics and history aside I don't like that the Serbia match was the first time I've ever seen Shaqiri look like he gives a shit

I like them more for what they did.
Political symbols should never be seen at a sporting event. You could argue it was against oppression in Kosovo. But it was clearly aggrevating.

1 match ban would have been fair in my view.

Political symbols should never be seen at a sporting event..

Sports and politics are inseparable. Why do you think Yugoslavia played as they did for so many years?

It's very convenient for sporting bodies to distance themselves from politics. It's also bullshit.

It's the CL final bench: Ming, Clyne, Klavan, Moreno, Lallana, Can, Solanke. Take out Can, Lallana and Clyne, look at the rest. Ming, Klavan, Moreno, Solanke. Any potential signing who will replace someone on that bench and make it look stronger is fine by me. That's what we need to do this summer. Would Shaqiri? Probably, in the short term. Would he put up with being an option from the bench? Couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom