• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore is a very interesting country in this regard. There were infections there very early in the rise of this virus however they have certainly not taken off even though Singapore has intimate connections with China in terms of business and tourism. As of today they have still only had 138 reported infections (0 deaths). The same applies to Malaysia, Philippines and to Thailand.

Now this could be due to simple suppression of figures (cf Russia / Philippines etc. from the graph I've posted below from The Economist) or to poor / non-existent testing or failure to report (fear, ineptitude, inefficiency). However if taking all countries as a block, and even allowing for a degree of suppression, it would suggest the virus doesn't survive or transmit with the same efficiency as in colder climes.

Screenshot-2020-03-08-at-11-05-37.png

Singapore and Taiwan are the two biggest COVID success stories so far due to excellent health care systems, aggressive government response and high levels of social trust.

Here’s a really, really well-illustrated story.
https://www.straitstimes.com/multim...tLsUGnA10neiLjPgoxf_fdnv5ffNu1db74a4mWKIzq2UM

Last edited:
Bookies have the euros at 5/6 to be called off.

Loads of players getting rest. Hopefully the other tournaments could be called off too. That's be ace for our players in terms of real rest.

Blue Fume will say Klopp orchestrated the whole thing.

So if we get to a point where it's mathematically certain that we have won the league, but the season is scrapped and it won't count in the record books, does it actually make such a difference?

This is pretty interesting as a measure of what we actually value. Personally, I'm pretty fucking happy with what this season has given me, and it will be a title in my mind no matter what the official history may be. I don't give a fuck about the trophy or the honours or the bragging rights. I just want to watch Liverpool be the clear best in the league over a season, and that's pretty much in the bag.

Singapore and Taiwan are the two biggest COVID success stories so far due to excellent health care systems, aggressive government response and high levels of social trust.

Here’s a really, really well-illustrated story.
https://www.straitstimes.com/multim...tLsUGnA10neiLjPgoxf_fdnv5ffNu1db74a4mWKIzq2UM
Yep good read.

However it should be pointed out that Singapore is almost exactly the same size as Anglesey so that contact tracing is much easier compared to say the UK or Italy (never mind USA or China). They also don't have any quarantines for whole areas in place - pretty much the same procedures as HK or Japan, a couple of weeks quarantine on arrival from specific areas so their response is no more robust than many other countries.

Taiwan is a brilliant case of proactive Govt. response though. They were actually monitoring and testing for C-19 before China (based on the rumours they had picked up on)! Considering how many Taiwanese live in China (a census in 2010 said 700,000 in Shanghai alone) and went home for the CNY it's amazing they don't have more cases - although it should be noted that Shanghai has had only a few cases (few hundred) and in fact China in total hasn't exploded like the epicentre of Hubei (Wuhan).
Actually I used to play golf on a course in a Shanghai suburb that is virtually a mini-Taiwan (easy to spot as they use the traditional Chinese script not the simplified version in use in China), shops, schools and businesses.

It still seems likely that the virus can only exist for much shorter periods outside the human body in countries with much higher average temperatures (Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore to name three - even HK to a degree). Based on early transmissions yet the disease didn't explode in those countries. Of course I'm not a virologist so this is just a wild guess !

So if we get to a point where it's mathematically certain that we have won the league, but the season is scrapped and it won't count in the record books, does it actually make such a difference?

This is pretty interesting as a measure of what we actually value. Personally, I'm pretty fucking happy with what this season has given me, and it will be a title in my mind no matter what the official history may be. I don't give a fuck about the trophy or the honours or the bragging rights. I just want to watch Liverpool be the clear best in the league over a season, and that's pretty much in the bag.

Yeah, you and fucking NOBODY else.

Culture secretary suggests no plans for games to be played behind closed doors at present.
Well considering they aren't even testing temperatures at the airports, even flights from the far east & Italy, unlike every other country in the world, I'd suggest they're just hoping it all either goes away, or kills lot of poor people & then goes away.

Well considering they aren't even testing temperatures at the airports, even flights from the far east & Italy, unlike every other country in the world, I'd suggest they're just hoping it all either goes away, or kills lot of poor people & then goes away.
USA aren't testing either it seems. The CDC said that testing is being done at exit gates (e.g. Italy) and not at arrival in the USA.

Not that taking someone's temperature is any real indication. Many won't have a temperature and of course in most cases a high temperature will be for some other ailment. Better than nothing though.

Sporting events in Britain are unlikely to be affected by coronavirus in the immediate future, says Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.
Governing bodies and broadcasters will meet with government officials later on Monday to discuss the staging of events behind closed doors if the outbreak worsens and mass gatherings are banned.

Dowden told BBC Radio 5 Live: "At this stage we're not in the territory of cancelling or postponing events."
He added fans should not be barred.

"I was at Twickenham [for England v Wales] with the Prime Minister [on Saturday]," he said. "There was a huge crowd of people there. There is no reason why people should not be going to those events. It is very premature to be talking about things like that."
Dowden did add that the advice was based on the current guidance issued by the medical experts.

He added: "That is why I asked the chief medical officer to brief the sporting bodies last week and that is why we will be driven by the advice of the chief medical officer as we continue.
"I do want to emphasise in relation to sporting events, any talk of cancellation is very premature indeed. At the moment there is no evidence to suggest we should be doing that and we don't have any plans to."

Like I said, hoping it kills poor people then goes away.

It's quite remarkable how little real action they're actually taking.

Citeh fans should be safe in the emptihad, I doubt the population density is high enough for any person to person contact there.

Do not agree at all MM. I want the trophy in Henderson's hands. I want the parade. I want the clear cut damning evidence on every TV channel that Liverpool have won the league. If the world must end after that, then fine, how bad. We would be the last ever league winners. Record breakers again eh.

Do not agree at all MM. I want the trophy in Henderson's hands. I want the parade. I want the clear cut damning evidence on every TV channel that Liverpool have won the league. If the world must end after that, then fine, how bad. We would be the last ever league winners. Record breakers again eh.
Yeah, I get that, I would have felt the same if this subject hadn't forced me to ask myself why that's in any way important to me.

Now that I've really thought about it, I realise it's actually not important to me at all.

I've waited 30 years for this, I want to be in the stadium when Hendo lifts that trophy, me and the boy celebrating the return home of the league trophy. If I get coronavirus then who the fuck cares as one of my last actions will be seeing us lift the trophy with the boy who won't get affected as he is only 14.

I've waited 30 years for this, I want to be in the stadium when Hendo lifts that trophy, me and the boy celebrating the return home of the league trophy. If I get coronavirus then who the fuck cares as one of my last actions will be seeing us lift the trophy with the boy who won't get affected as he is only 14.

I think the joy of finally lifting the trophy may be slightly tainted by the fact it will always be remembered as the same period in which his Dad died, and then realised that being 14 doesn't make you immune.

I think the joy of finally lifting the trophy may be slightly tainted by the fact it will always be remembered as the same period in which his Dad died, and then realised that being 14 doesn't make you immune.
I know he isn't immune but the affects are very light on youngsters - so I've read.

True, but at least I've fulfilled a dream which is to take him to see us win a CL and a PL.

And then further realises his dad was responsible for 55000 other LFC fans catching the virus ,,,

I'm now Pro virus

The FA is likely to waive the Saturday 3pm blackout to allow matches kicking off at that time to be screened or streamed live if coronavirus forces sporting events to be played behind closed doors.

The plan has already been discussed at by the football authorities but it is likely that steps will be taken to prevent those matches being shown in pubs.

A source involved in the talks told The Times: “It makes sense to remove the blackout but what we don’t want to do is create a new problem by just moving those crowds from the stadiums to the pubs.”

All matches involving the EFL clubs could be made available via the League’s iFollow service, which is usually blocked on Saturdays. Sky

Surely the sensible option would be to postpone the Euros for a year.. cancel all internationals until the autumn.

Suspend the leagues for 4-6 weeks. Then play Saturday/Wednesday until a conclusion.

Conclude the Champions league/Europa League in the summer with Saturday/Wednesday fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom