• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I've made peace with the fact we aren't getting a parade.

We possibly won't get a shot at the CL even if we go through tomorrow.

The best I think we can hope for is the Premier League wanting to publicise the league as much as possible by letting us lift the trophy at the home match where we win it or the next home match if its away.

I suspect the league will be played to completion, in front of empty stands. The CL possibly could be too, there's so much money involved they'll be loathe to do otherwise, but the CL is a much bigger hurdle for obv geographical reasons.

I still think my suggestion for the rest of the PL to be played in remote locations is still the most sensible and realistic out of the remaining options.

But as soon one player gets sick, probably the whole thing is getting cancelled anyway.

I'm more and more convinced that they're just going to scrap and abandon this season, rendering it null and void. It has been foretold by the word of the Football Gods.

I still think my suggestion for the rest of the PL to be played in remote locations is still the most sensible and realistic out of the remaining options.

But as soon one player gets sick, probably the whole thing is getting cancelled anyway.
What remote location ? It's in virtually every country now (and EVERY European country) ! Those who are not reporting it clearly haven't tested for it.

What remote location ? It's in virtually every country now (and EVERY European country) ! Those who are not reporting it clearly haven't tested for it.

Yeah, since then I’ve learned that it’s already in Faroe Islands, so that kind of undermines my theory. But surely there could be some remote backwaters where this isn’t likely to reach for the next few weeks at least? Grasping at straws, clearly.

Or maybe this is the solution:
World_War_I%2C_British_soccer_team_with_gas_masks%2C_1916.jpg

Technically, they can’t stop the movement of people from the European Union at this time.
Italy have quarantined the entire country. Its clearly an option.

There's no way the decision to not act is informed by anything but economic reasons.

Thing is, when you look at those most at risk, you could guarantee that they'd have taken action if this happened pre election.

There's no way the decision to not act is informed by anything but economic reasons.

Thing is, when you look at those most at risk, you could guarantee that they'd have taken action if this happened pre election.

It’s not a full on quarantine. There are 6pm curfews and people can still get around. They’ve just advised people not to do any unnecessary travel. You could still rock up to an airport or drive over the border.

I don’t think it’s right to have fans travelling from areas with such numbers of cases. I do think games should be postponed rather than empty stadiums. Just scrap the euros and finish the season in the summer.

It’s not a full on quarantine. There are 6pm curfews and people can still get around. They’ve just advised people not to do any unnecessary travel. You could still rock up to an airport or drive over the border.

I don’t think it’s right to have fans travelling from areas with such numbers of cases. I do think games should be postponed rather than empty stadiums. Just scrap the euros and finish the season in the summer.

Not to Austria anymore. The border has been closed today.

Funny you should say that...

Just hold it at the same time as the AFCON. Have a mid season tournament. Everything will be fucked by Qatar 2022 anyway.

David Maddock making so much sense here:

Seems a bit OTT to me.

7m people in madrid, how many positive in whole of Spain? They are only a few days ahead of us.

The Euros need to be shifted. But UEFAs greed will not allow them to do the sensible thing.

Seems a bit OTT to me.

7m people in madrid, how many positive in whole of Spain? They are only a few days ahead of us.

The Euros need to be shifted. But UEFAs greed will not allow them to do the sensible thing.
They won't have a choice about the euros. No way it goes ahead. At the theorised peak of the pandemic & across multiple nations stretching all the way across Europe almost into Asia?

It's gonna be quite literally impossible imo, for logistics reasons if nothing else.

They should be scrapping all international football now in my opinion. Including the up coming friendlies.

Also, as no one knows how widespread the asymptomatic carriers are, only that there are some, the danger presented by the influx of fans from a country with numbers growing exponentially is obvious.

There are other aspects to consider though. WHO for example say that isolation/country quarantines are pointless (I don't know what they are basing that on though).

Of course economic considerations are important because of the damage long term quarantines can do to individuals and families via loss of employment (since many companies would go out of business) and the using up of meagre savings. Is it worth it for the relatively low loss of life ? It has never been for the 'normal flu' epidemics which take far more lives.

Of course on a personal basis families that lose members would say yes but as a state and the long term impact (on both families and the country) a nation would probably say the opposite.

Not the Austrian border - they won't let Italians in !

Doh ! Holle beat me to it.

Imo they find a cure before June there's too much money not to find a fix

Also I have fucking euros tickets man, and we're about to win the league and I just wanna have coronavirus already and get it done so I can do all the empty tourist traps

They won't have a choice about the euros. No way it goes ahead. At the theorised peak of the pandemic & across multiple nations stretching all the way across Europe almost into Asia?

It's gonna be quite literally impossible imo, for logistics reasons if nothing else.
Well it knocks Italy out for starters. Maybe we should go ahead with it as most countries may have banned travel by then (except the UK of course). England could win by default !

Imo they find a cure before June there's too much money not to find a fix

Also I have fucking euros tickets man, and we're about to win the league and I just wanna have coronavirus already and get it done so I can do all the empty tourist traps
Simply not feasible. 12-18 months is the estimate. Even skipping some safety precautions & Govt. checks (and thereby exterminating those that take the vaccine and creating a new super-virus in the process) wouldn't have it ready within 6-8 months at best.

And you are aware that having it once doesn't give you immunity right ?

Simply not feasible. 12-18 months is the estimate. Even skipping some safety precautions & Govt. checks (and thereby exterminating those that take the vaccine and creating a new super-virus in the process) wouldn't have it ready within 6-8 months at best.

And you are aware that having it once doesn't give you immunity right ?
To the last bit, no - I'm not smart on biology

I figure lots of stuff we haven't expected has already happened and some more of it is on the way

To the last bit, no - I'm not smart on biology

I figure lots of stuff we haven't expected has already happened and some more of it is on the way
There have been a few 'reinfections' in China. The whys and the wherefores are not clear as yet.

Play the next 2 games behind closed doors.

If shit is still not good then it's time for extreme measures. Simulate the rest of the season on FIFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom