• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
An outbreak in Italy has them locking down towns & villages.

We need to get this title locked in as soon as possible because it's likely to get much worse before it gets better and football grounds can be seen as prime breeding grounds. It's entirely foreseeable that the Govt. could even force ground closures. Hyperbole ?

There is a huge list of cancelled events (most in Asia bit note also in Barcelona). See link below.

SKY
From Stormzy concerts to football games, the deadly outbreak of coronavirus has forced dozens of events to be cancelled or postponed, as authorities seek to contain the spread of the virus.

There are currently 16 Italians confirmed to have the virus in Lombardy and one in Veneto.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...-fixtures-affected-by-outbreak-fears-11932929

An outbreak in Italy has them locking down towns & villages.

We need to get this title locked in as soon as possible because it's likely to get much worse before it gets better and football grounds can be seen as prime breeding grounds. It's entirely foreseeable that the Govt. could even force ground closures. Hyperbole ?

There is a huge list of cancelled events (most in Asia bit note also in Barcelona). See link below.

SKY
From Stormzy concerts to football games, the deadly outbreak of coronavirus has forced dozens of events to be cancelled or postponed, as authorities seek to contain the spread of the virus.

There are currently 16 Italians confirmed to have the virus in Lombardy and one in Veneto.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...-fixtures-affected-by-outbreak-fears-11932929
Hope you’re doing alright mate. Keep that mask on and don’t be going out if you don’t need to!

Hope you’re doing alright mate. Keep that mask on and don’t be going out if you don’t need to!
Cheers Justin ! Actually we arrived in Vienna a few days ago. I was quite happy in Shanghai - roads were empty any time I wanted to go anywhere ! Supermarkets all open and no issues buying food, bread, milk or even DVDs. Just boring being stuck at home most of the time. However the wife was under a lot of pressure from her two brothers who live over here (Austria) and eventually she caved. I guess we'll be back off to Shanghai in a few months time - once the Covid 19 explodes over here :eek:

Hope it doesn't take off where you are in Japan however looking at what's happening in South Korea (new cases doubled to around 400 in one day) I can't see anywhere being immune unless it ends up becoming dormant in the Summer like other flu viruses.

Cheers Justin ! Actually we arrived in Vienna a few days ago. I was quite happy in Shanghai - roads were empty any time I wanted to go anywhere ! Supermarkets all open and no issues buying food, bread, milk or even DVDs. Just boring being stuck at home most of the time. However the wife was under a lot of pressure from her two brothers who live over here (Austria) and eventually she caved. I guess we'll be back off to Shanghai in a few months time - once the Covid 19 explodes over here :eek:

Hope it doesn't take off where you are in Japan however looking at what's happening in South Korea (new cases doubled to around 400 in one day) I can't see anywhere being immune unless it ends up becoming dormant in the Summer like other flu viruses.

*gulp*

It is emerging in all corners of the globe already. Some are prepared. Most are not. I think we all have to live with this new virus.

Anyone else worried that rest of the season will be cancelled or at best played behind closed doors?

Just imagine Glastonbury though. Be like the first Indian cholera outbreak 200 years ago. People keeling over in rivers of shit. I can hardly wait

Sort of inevitable if you think about it. The exponential increase in air travel, those horrible giant cruise ships etc mean that viruses can travel faster and spread farther than at any point in human history. Nature always takes advantage of these kinds of loopholes (even if you discount the possibility of bioweapons and other mischief).

Sort of inevitable if you think about it. The exponential increase in air travel, those horrible giant cruise ships etc mean that viruses can travel faster and spread farther than at any point in human history. Nature always takes advantage of these kinds of loopholes (even if you discount the possibility of bioweapons and other mischief).
When you consider that Wuhan's airport is the world's 68th-70th largest by passenger traffic (around the size of Gatwick or Istanbul): serving Bangkok, Moscow, Osaka, Paris, Seoul and Singapore etc. (and many flights daily to Shanghai, Beijing & Guangzhou and from there to the rest of the world), and that Wuhan is the world's 30th largest city by population (11m) then the only surprise is that not more cities have experienced an epidemic ... yet.

When you consider that Wuhan's airport is the world's 68th-70th largest by passenger traffic (around the size of Gatwick or Istanbul): serving Bangkok, Moscow, Osaka, Paris, Seoul and Singapore etc. (and many flights daily to Shanghai, Beijing & Guangzhou and from there to the rest of the world), and that Wuhan is the world's 30th largest city by population (11m) then the only surprise is that not more cities have experienced an epidemic ... yet.

Looks like only a matter of time:

Here is the States they just admitted that their testing method was flawed and only 5 states currently have the correct testing kits. So basically no one knows how many cases are there.

It is the new normal now. We all have to live with it. Until a new antiviral is found. The only questions left are will 1) will it be a seasonal pneumonia or will it be endemic the whole year round? 2) when will the antivirals and vaccine be found for Covid 19?

It is the new normal now. We all have to live with it. Until a new antiviral is found. The only questions left are will 1) will it be a seasonal pneumonia or will it be endemic the whole year round? 2) when will the antivirals and vaccine be found for Covid 19?

Why exactly should I be worried about it? Because it has a new name?

It seems less lethal than the flu.

I am not worried. Only those with health issues, are smokers and above 70 should worry. That's why I say it is the new normal like the flu.

It's about 35 times more lethal than the flu. And unlike flu, your body doesn't build immunity to it once you've had it – in fact a lot of the deaths seem to be from people contracting it for the second time.

Actually transmission rates are about x2 that of flu and fatality rates x10 higher. Although if you are not an old geezer or have a compromised immune system in any way, then you are far less likely to become a statistic.

It's about 35 times more lethal than the flu. And unlike flu, your body doesn't build immunity to it once you've had it – in fact a lot of the deaths seem to be from people contracting it for the second time.
Errr I've only heard of that happening once (though it is known recovering from it the first time doesn't make you immune) and I am literally inundated with stats and info from China on a daily basis. Where did you hear/read that ?

Errr I've only heard of that happening once (though it is known recovering from it the first time doesn't make you immune) and I am literally inundated with stats and info from China on a daily basis. Where did you hear/read that ?

Unfortunately it’s difficult to remember exactly where I read it, but I remember an article saying that patients in Wuhan who have survived and then got infected for the 2nd time would often have fatal outcomes due to heart failure. So the conclusion was that far from building immunity, having the virus once makes 2nd time even worse.

Unfortunately it’s difficult to remember exactly where I read it, but I remember an article saying that patients in Wuhan who have survived and then got infected for the 2nd time would often have fatal outcomes due to heart failure. So the conclusion was that far from building immunity, having the virus once makes 2nd time even worse.

Im guessing it’s this article?
It’s telling us that the physicians in Wuhan are what’s killing those patients. Heart failure seems to have nothing to do with the virus itself.

[article]https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/whistleblower-doctors-say-coronavirus-reinfection-even-deadlier/amp/[/article]

I loathe to read unsubstantiated news without names and actual data. Lots of hearsay and rumour mongers

Premier League is clearly getting cancelled before the Palace match and the season just eliminated.
Imagine pub quizzes in 2050.
"In what year and which team in the Premier League were twenty two points ahead of second place with seven matches to go and still didn't win the league"
Of course there won't be any pub quizzes in 2050 as we will all be dead. If the first wave of the virus doesn't get you, the second one will. And you don't want to be around for the third wave.

Harvard University epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch is predicting the coronavirus "will ultimately not be containable" and, within a year, will infect somewhere between 40 and 70 percent of humanity, The Atlantic reports. But don't be too alarmed. Many of those people, Lipsitch clarifies, won't have severe illnesses or even show symptoms at all, which is already the case for many people who have tested positive for the virus.

That's precisely why he doesn't think the virus can be stopped. Viruses like SARS, MERS, and the avian flu were eventually contained in part because they were more intense and had a higher fatality rate. In other words, if you were infected by the virus that caused SARS, chances were you weren't out and about. But because the current coronavirus, known as COVID-19, can be asymptomatic, or at least very mild, there's a better chance people will likely go about their day as normal.

The down side, though, is that it becomes harder to trace and prevent. In that sense it's similar to the flu, which can also be deadly, but often passes without the infected person seeking medical care.
The Atlantic reports Lipsitch is definitely not alone in his prediction. There's an emerging consensus that the outbreak will eventually morph into a new seasonal disease, which, per The Atlantic, could one day turn "cold and flu season" into "cold and flu and COVID-19 season."

The Chinese stats (which may well be underplaying the death rate) have it at 2%. You really think 1 in 50 people with the seasonal flu dies? I think it is something like 0.1 %. Apparently this mortality rate is much more in line with the Spanish Flu that swept the world after WW1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom