• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Two bans on the way ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term Kangeroo Court, where does that originate? I'm kinda hoping there's a story whereby back in the colonial days, a British convict cum Australian migrant got accused of a crime and had to defend himself in front a jury made up of Kangaroos.
Something to do with 'The court is in their pocket' - Hence Kangeroo. 🙂

It's to do with the fact that these type of "courts" don't bother with many of the facts, in other words they "jump" over the facts. Hence kangaroos.

It's to do with the fact that these type of "courts" don't bother with many of the facts, in other words they "jump" over the facts. Hence kangaroos.

I thought it was one of those unexplained phrases, where nobody is actually quite sure

But jumping makes sense. They do jump. It's their defining feature really

Wiki says....

Etymology[edit]

Although the term kangaroo court has been erroneously explained to have its origin from Australia's courts while it was a penal colony,[3] the first published instance is from an American source in the year 1853.[4] Some sources suggest that it may have been popularized during the California Gold Rush of 1849, along with mustang court,[5] as a description of the hastily carried-out proceedings used to deal with the issue of claim jumping miners.[3] Ostensibly the term comes from the notion of justice proceeding "by leaps", like a kangaroo[6] – in other words, "jumping over" (intentionally ignoring) evidence that would be in favour of the defendant. Another possibility is that the phrase could refer to the pouch of a kangaroo, meaning the court is in someone's pocket. The phrase is popular in the UK, US, Australia and New Zealand and is still in common use.[7]

Wiki says....

Etymology[edit]

Although the term kangaroo court has been erroneously explained to have its origin from Australia's courts while it was a penal colony,[3] the first published instance is from an American source in the year 1853.[4] Some sources suggest that it may have been popularized during the California Gold Rush of 1849, along with mustang court,[5] as a description of the hastily carried-out proceedings used to deal with the issue of claim jumping miners.[3] Ostensibly the term comes from the notion of justice proceeding "by leaps", like a kangaroo[6] – in other words, "jumping over" (intentionally ignoring) evidence that would be in favour of the defendant. Another possibility is that the phrase could refer to the pouch of a kangaroo, meaning the court is in someone's pocket. The phrase is popular in the UK, US, Australia and New Zealand and is still in common use.[7]
Ah you see - My claim wasn't as laughable as some on here would claim. Silly @manwithnoname

Lol this could be written by a leicester fan. You don't accidentally land on someone's head. end of.

It's also a point by point recounting of what actually happened. But by all means ignore what happened and stick by the argument that a player half way falling down and trying to prevent a goal could accidentally step on another player.

Do you have some alternative facts to interject?

The ban deprives United of their top scorer for Monday night's FA Cup quarter-final at Chelsea and Premier League games against Middlesbrough and West Brom.

That shouldn't hold United back too much

I am amazed that Zlatan has been banned for three games and has accepted the punishment

I thought that David Gill and the pro-United FA conspiracy would almost certainly ensure he got away with it

I am amazed that Zlatan has been banned for three games and has accepted the punishment

I thought that David Gill and the pro-United FA conspiracy would almost certainly ensure he got away with it

I'd be called a troll if i pointed that out.

But I'm sure there's a larger conspiracy into which the ban fits.

Havent most people been in agreement to that he'd get 3 games?

More surprised Mings has appealed in all honesty.

Zlatan misses the Chelsea cup game.

He had no defence. With Mings you can argue intent or not and really only he knows. But he will be found guilty and banned. Plus with him appealing, I suspect he will have book thrown at him. It was already mentioned at the charge stage that a 3 game ban wasn't considered long enough.

I seem to remember that the rate of guilty in these situations is high 90% - @Rosco i seem to remember you saying this ages ago when this debate came up. Could be wrong of course, age is messing with my memory nowadays.

Mings should be cleared of the charge. Zlatans head is so big how is one supposed to hurdle him without stepping on it?

Zlatan misses the Chelsea cup game.

He had no defence. With Mings you can argue intent or not and really only he knows. But he will be found guilty and banned. Plus with him appealing, I suspect he will have book thrown at him. It was already mentioned at the charge stage that a 3 game ban wasn't considered long enough.

I seem to remember that the rate of guilty in these situations is high 90% - @Rosco i seem to remember you saying this ages ago when this debate came up. Could be wrong of course, age is messing with my memory nowadays.

It is.

But the suggestion that its a kangaroo court because of same is probably an unsafe one because plenty of magistrate courts have similar success rates - and they do it without the benefit of 12 Sky Sports cameras.

[article]
Bournemouth said they are "extremely disappointed" with the FA's decision.

The Premier League club added they "find it extraordinary that the charges can be described as 'proven' when there is absolutely no evidence to prove the incident was intentional."
[/article]

Hahahaha fools. Next time they should instruct someone who knows how administrative law works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom