• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The joke of the LFC transfer fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jürgen4PM

Well-Known
Nicked from another site:

The joke of the LFC transfer fund
Liverpool were rocked earlier this summer by the accounting revelations that under Hicks and Gillett, Liverpool FC are making annual payments to the RBS of £40M – effectively stripping out the small amount of profit from the club, and thanks to the complex accounting with Kop Football Holdings as a parent company – the club’s debt – overall – is massively increasing.

With the arrival of Hicks and Gillett – Liverpool were promised the funds to compete in the transfer market – but that promise is looking as hollow as all the rest of the big promises from the clubs owners.

If anything – Liverpool appear even less forceful in the transfer market.

We all knew that with the departure of Keane – the reds would need a solid backup striker for Torres – and we’ve all lamented our lack of a world class winger. In those games when we struggled to break down defences at Anfield – results that cost Liverpool the title – the absence of someone with creativity to relieve the pressure on Gerrard and Torres was clear for all to see.

Last summer Liverpool spent a net total of £21 million on players.

This summer, with the reds in a great opportunity to build on last season’s improvement, it looks as if LFC will be trying to make a profit.

£13 million up front was pocketed by the club in January lets not forget – for the sale of Robbie Keane (and this deal could increase to bring another £3 million in)

£3 million was raised with the departure of Sebastian Leto and around £500,000 was raised with the sale of a few fringe players.

In contrast Liverpool have signed Glen Johnson in a £16.5 M deal – but with money already owed by Portsmouth for Peter Crouch – the reds did not need to shell out the full amount.

OUT

Robbie Keane £13M (could rise to £16M)
Sebastian Leto £3M
Others £0.5M

IN

Glen Johnson £16.5M

TOTAL TRANSFER SPEND = £0

You have to wonder exactly who Hicks and Gillett think they are fooling. The calculator doesn’t lie. The Xabi Alonso speculation has been going on for months now – and now we hear various rumours that if we sold him – both David Silva and a central midfielder such as Wesley Sneijder could be arriving.

But when Liverpool FC have technically not shelled out a penny this summer – then we shouldn’t have to sell anybody to fund two such transfers.

Meanwhile the reds will carry on paying RBS £1 million every 9 days in interest alone.

Whilst I am not at all that happy with our spending *so far*, I can take comfort from the fact that our rivals have yet to significantly splurge either (City aint rivals just yet).

I would still like to see us shell out 20-30m on proven players, but with this year's horrific prices, I can't see us spending much more.

Not just our rivals either Terrier, most prem clubs have not carried out many purchases. With the exception of citeh of course!!!

I personally am happy to see Benitez take a more considered approach with his transfer dealings. Let's see what happens once the Alonso issue is resolved I think that's key to anymore player movement.

BTW I'm sure Rosco can confirm but this kind of one year view of the transfer spend doesn't really work because of the way payments are structured over multiple years. If you look at our accounts we actually spent net 40m each of the last two years.

I think it's more about City and Madrid dominating the market this summer and clubs not selling any players. Valencia have managed to hold on to Villa despite 40m+ bids from Madrid and Barce, so I doubt they will be selling Silva. Villa won't sell Young either, the best players who happen to be for sale are being hoovered up by City and Madrid. Barce, Chelsea etc. haven't done much either, the market is very slow this summer. No doubt, if Madrid gave us big money for Xabi we will enter the market for a replacement. If Inter get big money for Ibra from Barce along with Eto'o, they might bid for Xabi. so i think there is a long way to go in the market.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=34824.msg909381#msg909381 date=1248133543]
I dont get it?
[/quote]

Me neither

"In contrast Liverpool have signed Glen Johnson in a £16.5 M deal – but with money already owed by Portsmouth for Peter Crouch – the reds did not need to shell out the full amount."

So the money that Portsmouth owed us was not real money. Like I don't suppose we owe any clubs money in payments...much

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34824.msg909385#msg909385 date=1248134414]
I hope molby doesn't spot this.
[/quote]

Too late seen it. Dont agree with the mans accounting however I do suspect that the loans are fucking us and yes we do need more on field investment but then we also need a new stadium, for that i suspect we also need new owners. They are cunts in my opinion, they tried tampering got their fingers burnt and have wisely stayed out the way and decided to "back" rafa.... no real investment mind more of a treading water if it aint broke dont fix it situation but hey.... i'm happy to be dissapointed with them and in a minority of one. Whoever is right or wrong it really doesnt matter its all way too late to argue about it now as its done already so .... I cant wait for the new season with what weve got tbh....just get on with and see what happens. You never know our first eleven is pretty fucking great so....

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=34824.msg909335#msg909335 date=1248126984]

OUT

Sebastian Leto £3M
Others £0.5M

IN

Glen Johnson £16.5M

[/quote]

Were we not owed 7mill as part of the Crouch deal? So Johnson actually cost 9.5mill?

[quote author=Mors link=topic=34824.msg909420#msg909420 date=1248156376]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=34824.msg909335#msg909335 date=1248126984]

OUT

Sebastian Leto £3M
Others £0.5M

IN

Glen Johnson £16.5M

[/quote]

Were we not owed 7mill as part of the Crouch deal? So Johnson actually cost 9.5mill?

[/quote]No Johnsn actually cost £16.5m or whatever, but as Pompey owed us £7m in unpaid fees for for Crouchie, we only had to pony up £9.5m.

The Crouch money would have been accounted for when we sold him, so whichever way you look at it GJ cost the full whack. We just didn't have to find all of it.

Obviously theres still time left for transfers to be made, but at this stage it does look like G&H will be spending £0 this summer.

Not only have we been consistently lied to and are still waiting for a new stadium, but now it looks like our spending is going to be reduced as well.

Dont forget, this might not be the stupid yanks fault. There may well be money there but maybe Rafa is deciding not to spend it, he might think the players he wants are silly money.

e.g He might have 25mill and Valencia want 40mill for Silva etc.

Might not be the yanks boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom