• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Slot-ball

Had the one where Salah played a give and go with about half the team ended in a goal, that would’ve been the goal of the season.
I kinda feel like it was one pass too many.
Jota should have just turned and fired it towards goal.

I kinda feel like it was one pass too many.
Jota should have just turned and fired it towards goal.
Nah, don’t think that was on, would’ve just been blocked. Mac had a better opening albeit on his weaker foot.

That pass from Mac was so aesthetically pleasing, even if it didn’t come off. Mo turned and clapped in appreciation.

View: https://x.com/Mick_Moran_/status/1830858772761223672

View: https://x.com/LFC/status/1831014296379121714

This kind of play just saps the opposition’s will to fight - like, how do you even defend this? A CB zipping the ball past 5 pressers to a CM who takes an Iniesta-like first touch to completely fool the marker, then strides with speed and long legs into space with a 6 against 4 advantage and is capable of either a precise pass or a shot or beating defenders on the dribble. The only thing you can do to prevent it is to abandon your pressing game and just park the bus.

View: https://x.com/Mick_Moran_/status/1830858772761223672

View: https://x.com/LFC/status/1831014296379121714

This kind of play just saps the opposition’s will to fight - like, how do you even defend this? A CB zipping the ball past 5 pressers to a CM who takes an Iniesta-like first touch to completely fool the marker, then strides with speed and long legs into space with a 6 against 4 advantage and is capable of either a precise pass or a shot or beating defenders on the dribble. The only thing you can do to prevent it is to abandon your pressing game and just park the bus.

He did that to Rodri last season !!!

Love the way Gravy not only opens up and beats Mainoo with his first touch, but accelerates away from him with his head up. It's brilliant.

Very much Paddy Vieira-like. As Moron said, he did the same to Rodri last season at the Etihad. But the game was late, and he had only just come on as a sub, so I wondered if it was because of that. But as shown in preseason and on Sunday, the guy has got a really good drive phase when he's running with the ball.

People talk about a 6, but Macca and him dovetailed beautifully in the game.

Where he/Macca will have a problem, is when they're up against a number 10 like KDB, Eze, or Odegaard, who are able to drive and go through the gears themselves on the half turn, in the centre of the park.

That's when Gravy will have to be more switched on and likely be more defensive, because as good as Macca is, he's not got the acceleration to get back at a powerful number 10.

As someone said on Twitter (I refuse to call it X), Van Dijk would not have played that pass to our previous midfielders, because he wouldn’t have trusted them to do what Gravvy did. Any slightly less sure touch and the ball would have been lost in a dangerous position.

On a related note, was it really a double-pivot with Macca or did the “triangle” got kind of shifted to Szobo occupying the left-sided midfield role and Gravvy almost a RCM (which would leave Macca as a nominal DM)? It looked like a double-pivot, but Gravenberch appeared in attacking positions on the right too often for it to be a coincidence - he was certainly not “tied” to the holding role…

As someone said on Twitter (I refuse to call it X), Van Dijk would not have played that pass to our previous midfielders, because he wouldn’t have trusted them to do what Gravvy did. Any slightly less sure touch and the ball would have been lost in a dangerous position.

On a related note, was it really a double-pivot with Macca or did the “triangle” got kind of shifted to Szobo occupying the left-sided midfield role and Gravvy almost a RCM (which would leave Macca as a nominal DM)? It looked like a double-pivot, but Gravenberch appeared in attacking positions on the right too often for it to be a coincidence - he was certainly not “tied” to the holding role…
Nor was Macca though. It seems to me that when in possession one of them will be entitled to drive forward in support.

Nor was Macca though. It seems to me that when in possession one of them will be entitled to drive forward in support.
One midfielder always seems to hang back and help out in defence.

Trent's disallowed goal: Gravy drives the ball forward. Macca stays.

Diaz goal 1: Same as above.

Diaz goal 2: Diaz wins the ball, Macca passes the ball forward. Slowly starts moving forward. Szobo with the late run towards the box. Gravy stays back.

Salah goal:
No need for anyone to go forward.

I was watching some highlights and some of the passing through the lines harks back to Liverpool of the late 80s. Anyone else think VVD has stepped up, his being more of an imposing captain and his passing was always good but this season its gone up a notch. Some of those interplays he has been involved in has been simply majestic.

I was watching some highlights and some of the passing through the lines harks back to Liverpool of the late 80s. Anyone else think VVD has stepped up, his being more of an imposing captain and his passing was always good but this season its gone up a notch. Some of those interplays he has been involved in has been simply majestic.
yes - have to agree on that, we are going back to the roots. Too be honest we had a bit of it under Roy Evans - but the team then lacked discipline and the mental strength to sustain a title challenge.

Back
Top Bottom