• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Slot – first impressions?

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
So what do we think after the first 2 games? Two wins, two clean sheets, some good football, but also lots of room for improvement. Here are some of my observations so far:

More controlled, less chaos?
This has been the common refrain among the pundits trying to find the differences between Slot's and Klopp's teams. I think it's true only up to a point. Yes, the passing % stats particularly in the last game are impressive, but I actually don't think we have seen anything resembling the stifling control of Guardiola's teams or even the peak Klopp's or Rafa's teams (each in their own way) yet – we're doing well to limit the opposition big chances, but we haven't imposed ourselves on the game to the extent Slot probably would like to, and that was against inferior opposition. Our midfield has the same personnel as last year, but clearly they've been told to play differently and the roles got switched around a bit, so they are still clearly coming to grips with the new system. As of now, I think it's too early to say that Slot has improved our ability to control games, because in truth it has been patchy.

Lethal counters and improved decision-making
I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of lightning-fast counter attacks we managed to execute in the past 2 games (and the pre-season games too). Some of it reminded of the early Klopp teams; the decision-making and interplay of the front 3 of Jota, Salah and Diaz has been a joy to watch at times, which is reflected in their goal contribution numbers: 2 goals and 1 assist for Mo, 1 and 1 respectively for both Jota and Diaz. This front 3 clearly functions as a unit, which was not the case for large periods of last season and that's is a testament to the work of the new coaching staff and of course the players themselves. I'm curious to see how Gakpo and Nunez will fit into this once they are up to speed. Just from the aesthetic point of view, I love that Slot apparently instructs our attackers to go for the most aggressive, high-reward options when the opportunity is there – before he came many pundits made him sound like a Guardiola-esque "death by tiki-taka" manager, but he's not been that at all – if anything, he made our counters more direct and faster compared to last year.

Pragmatism
What has changed compared to Klopp, I think, is Slot's more business-like, no-nonsense approach, which you can see both in the way he conducts himself and on the pitch. There is less emphasis on passion and self-expression; it seems like Slot's focus is doing everything it takes to win and nothing extra. It's way too early to really compare his approach with Klopp's and try to evaluate the positives and negatives – the big tests will be how we fare against big teams like United and how he comes through periods of adversity – but what I can say so far is that it seems Slop is a type of man who has more of a chip on his shoulder, so to speak, than Klopp did. Jurgen could lose a final and still "win" in a sense, because win or lose he created something special and historic; I think with Slot results will matter more. If he doesn't get results, there will be less good will and camaraderie to fall back on, but if his approach is successful, he could indeed be exactly the right kind of pragmatic, results-driven manager to build on the foundations Klopp left behind.

I largely agree, but I believe the team deserves more praise for not conceding big chances and the clean sheets, especially with a new number six in the lineup. The team is more compact both in and out of possession, with at least one fullback staying narrower when we have the ball. This ensures that when possession is lost, we're not overly stretched. I suspect that's partly why there have been more meetings with the players lately. They're receiving more detailed information, and those micro-details are making a difference across the pitch.

Slot also deserves credit for how he's handled the media. He's warm and approachable, yet strictly professional. He exudes confidence and seems comfortable in his own skin. There’s certainly no sign of him feeling the pressure of the Premier League or the challenge of replacing Klopp. He’s managed that side of things very well in his dealings with the press.

His biggest challenge at the moment is getting the midfield to link up as smoothly as our attacking play has looked. We've seen some strong individual performances and promising patterns of play between the fullbacks and wingers, but the midfield hasn't quite clicked into gear yet as a unit.

In terms of impact on the players, Diaz and Grav have starred the season strongly and whilst some are capable of more, nobody seems to have regressed.

The players will need to get over this father figure type thing Klopp had work them. Slott is obsessed with seeing them as footballers, improving them as footballers, and not blurring the likes too much. The younger players, or the ones that came through the academy, may not like that, Trent, Quansah, etc, but it's not something I have much sympathy for.

His biggest challenge at the moment is getting the midfield to link up as smoothly as our attacking play has looked. We've seen some strong individual performances and promising patterns of play between the fullbacks and wingers, but the midfield hasn't quite clicked into gear yet as a unit.

To be fair, we did miss our one “generational” midfielder today 😀

Great posts. I think he needs to get out the arm around the shoulder. He's not Klopp of course, but this young lads are used to a little paternal kindness, more than Dutch ruthlessness, and no harm in giving a little of the soft stuff too.

Great posts. I think he needs to get out the arm around the shoulder. He's not Klopp of course, but this young lads are used to a little paternal kindness, more than Dutch ruthlessness, and no harm in giving a little of the soft stuff too.
Most of the players need to put on their big boy pants.

Overall I’m happy. Only an extremism wouldn’t be with 2 wins, 4 goals and 2 clean sheets.

It’s more relaxing watching us too. There’s more of a plan rather than chaos. We’ve gone more technical with some clear patterns coming through.

I can see Nunez really struggling in the side.

Nunez seemed to do well with linking the play after he came on.

Of course missing a header from 10 yards while being 5 yards offside is par for the course. But he did OK otherwise.

He's very Dutch.

He will go down well with the men in the team. Salah, Virgil, and Jota.

Someone still needs to be the fatherly figure though.

He's very Dutch.

He will go down well with the men in the team. Salah, Virgil, and Jota.

Someone still needs to be the fatherly figure though.

Looks like Alli is fully convinced by Slot. Called him a “family man” twice in the same sentence, which is probably one of the highest compliments he can give.

Most of the players need to put on their big boy pants.

Overall I’m happy. Only an extremism wouldn’t be with followers 2 wins, 4 goals and 2 clean sheets.

It’s more relaxing watching us too. There’s more of a plan rather than chaos. We’ve gone more technical with some clear patterns coming through.

I can see Nunez really struggling in the side.
I like the fact that we don’t concede goals and have to come from behind week after week - it was exhausting and emotionally draining for the players too.

He's treating them like men.
I like the fact that he has a rule to not enter the dressing room, letting the boys sort it out themselves.
More trust, more responsibility.
Smiles and hugs are nice but you're also professional footballers.
I like it.

He's treating them like men, I like the fact that he has a rule to not enter the dressing room.
He lets the boys sort it out themselves.
More trust, more responsibility.
Smiles and hugs are nice but you're also professional footballers.
I like it.
This works when things are going well. The moment there's a hiccup, I bet you supporters will be longing for the days of the Klopp hugs.

This works when things are going well. The moment there's a hiccup, I bet you supporters will be longing for the days of the Klopp hugs.
Well, we've been pampered too.
I've compared Slots attitude to Rafa's but he's somewhere in between him and Klopp. Rafa would have never gone to the bench mid game to speak to a sulking player. So it's a little bit from both worlds imo.

Slot has proven so far to be an excellent tactician, and you can see why he has had such a massive success developing players in Holland.

The big tests are coming obviously, but can't ask for more than 2 wins, 2 clean sheets and a clear plan regarding how we want to play and seeing patterns of that already.

Virgil did the right thing when interviewed yesterday and shut down the Klopp comparisons. For the players and staff its all about the new regime going forward.
Klopp has been very vocal in recent days about how he has been impressed by Slot which is also a good thing.

Slot has proven so far to be an excellent tactician, and you can see why he has had such a massive success developing players in Holland.

The big tests are coming obviously, but can't ask for more than 2 wins, 2 clean sheets and a clear plan regarding how we want to play and seeing patterns of that already.

Virgil did the right thing when interviewed yesterday and shut down the Klopp comparisons. For the players and staff its all about the new regime going forward.
Klopp has been very vocal in recent days about how he has been impressed by Slot which is also a good thing.
I think Slot is somewhat fortunate to come to a team with a Dutch captain. No language barrier, they understand each other and the cap can relay the message to the rest of the players.
There's been some focus on the sulking players but I've never seen Gravy this happy.

I have been impressed so far and have to echo the sentiments of more control, decisive tactical changes, candour with the press, player management etc. the acid test comes with the first loss, specifically the context of it.

For the klopp comparisons, I think we may get more out of certain players than we did with klopp. Sometimes under klopp there may have been performances that were "phoned in" by some players. Whether that's because klopps fatherly nature played a part, and the player was "yeah I've let him down today, but I'll still be picked". With slot I do feel that there may be a certain ruthlessness. with quansah last week, yes it's all well and good saying "oh he was losing duels" and tactical switches; but it also laid a marker down to players that he will happily drag you off at half time. To make that kind of high pressure ballsy sub in your first competitive game for your new club shows a real determination to win, but also highlight "it's my way of fuck off".

Suppose klopp was that way early doors as well with your sakhos etc.

There's been some focus on the sulking players but I've never seen Gravy this happy.
I feel that it's a facial muscle issue at this point

Though him and szob seemingly are competing for the Smouldering cup

There's no way of knowing yet whether or not his approach may actually be better for the younger players.

It's not like he's being cold, you can see in the training videos that he's happy to have a laugh with players and coaches them as individuals.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how quickly he's taken authority and earned respect.

So far, he's exceeded my expectations by some measure.

I am Slot out until he can prove his mettle in Europe. But so far I cannot fault him and his approach to management. I do feel sorry for my mate Endo.

So here's a question. What happens when we go behind. One of the things I loved about the Klopp years was that we would almost always get back in a game after going behind. How does Slot adjust his "control" of the game to open up and create more chances after we go behind. Does he become Klopp? Usually, no bus was too big for us to over or get in behind to score, previously.

So here's a question. What happens when we go behind. One of the things I loved about the Klopp years was that we would almost always get back in a game after going behind. How does Slot adjust his "control" of the game to open up and create more chances after we go behind. Does he become Klopp? Usually, no bus was too big for us to over or get in behind to score, previously.
In a way I think we've already seen this without actually going behind. In two games he's been able to make an intervention at HT to make us play much more coherently in the second period. Klopp was excellent at that, but Slot clearly is no mug at changing the pattern of a game.

I just don't think we have any idea so far.

There are all sorts of managers who can have a really good run, even if they aren't top tier managers, and Slot has come in to a very high level team with a lot of continuity (too much!).

The managers who are really good are the ones that can fix things, rebuild, address issues, all under scrutiny. So far things have just worked, but why wouldn't they? The shit will hit the fan at some point this season, and there's no affection for Slot, so he'll come under criticism and the team will be under pressure. My first impression will be largely based on what he does then. Hopefully we just sail through this entire season on a wave of unbelievable luck and no injuries, and everyone decides he's a super genius, that'd also be fine by me.

Is there a possibility we have a young Dutch Alex Ferguson in our ranks, football wise? Just checking, if you look at how meticulous Slot is and his no nonsense approach but almost passive in his tactical football approach. Obviously Slot is far welcoming with the media than AF was

There was a lot to like about Slot's Liverpool style of play that first half... The little intricate moves off the ball to set up chances and the way that everyone seems to bust a gut to get back and defend...
Still I would like to see how players like Elliot, Nunez etc operate in this system

Slot is basically Klopp and Pep, but without the Red Bull Energy drinks, asthma medicine and Ecstasy.

In a way I think we've already seen this without actually going behind. In two games he's been able to make an intervention at HT to make us play much more coherently in the second period. Klopp was excellent at that, but Slot clearly is no mug at changing the pattern of a game.
Agreed - against Ipswich he changed a pattern that made it look like we were inevitably going to go behind, which is a great trait in itself.

Slot is basically Klopp and Pep, but without the Red Bull Energy drinks, asthma medicine and Ecstasy.

He's not really like either and that is great. I had the fear at the weekend that he would get sucked into doing some fist pumps at the kop.

He is Slot. He has a fresh approach, one that is different to what we are used to and he has come in wanting to change things quite quickly. This is much much more preferable to me than him coming in and trying to be Klopp, with the players that Klopp tried to get to play his way (with mixed success by the end of last season).

Of the players that stay, some will perform better under a new style that gets the best out of them (Diaz a contender for this, and Szobo), and others might look worse (e.g. Robbo - who seems least assured of playing possession at the back).

Back
Top Bottom