• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Reds duo agree new deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Liverpool duo Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby have agreed new deals, skysports.com understands.

The Reds have been in talks with the home-grown pair for the last few months as they look to secure the duo on long-term deals.

The pair are entering the final year of their existing deals and Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to reward them with three-year extensions.

Midfielder Spearing, who captained the FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007, made his debut for the first team last season and impressed as a substitute in the UEFA Champions League win over Real Madrid.

Full-back Darby is highly-rated at Anfield and he made three appearances in the first team last term.

The duo are expected to put pen-to-paper on the contracts next week when Liverpool return for pre-season training.

----

yay.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=34552.msg900767#msg900767 date=1246811995]
I don't get all the fuss over Darby. Spearing could be useful though.
[/quote]

I can remember what Darby looks like. I'm beginning to doubt Degen exists as I cant remember ever seeing him.

Same applies to Glen Johnson. I half-suspect he's died, it's been covered up & we're paying everyone a few mill to keep quiet so it seems like we've spent big. Either that or Parry's hidden all the camera's before he left.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=34552.msg900776#msg900776 date=1246812457]
I like Darby. he's also a better option than Degen.
[/quote]

Yeah after the numerous appearances by Degen last season, he's just too shite!!

Very few young right backs are ever going to have people shrieking with excitement, but Darby is a very, very, sound player, with a great attitude, who has potential to get into the first team. Johnson now makes that seem slim, but all the same he deserves his new deal.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=34552.msg900819#msg900819 date=1246814093]
What about Andre Wisdom 😉
[/quote]

He is a long way away.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=34552.msg900815#msg900815 date=1246813987]
Very few young right backs are ever going to have people shrieking with excitement, but Darby is a very, very, sound player, with a great attitude, who has potential to get into the first team. Johnson now makes that seem slim, but all the same he deserves his new deal.
[/quote]

^^^^

Darby looked really promising in the pre-season friendlies last year, and it was surprising he didn't get the same chance as Insua when Arbeloa was on his last legs.

Haven't seen much as Spearing but I've heard promising things.

Good news. 

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=34552.msg900764#msg900764 date=1246811893]
Liverpool duo Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby have agreed new deals, skysports.com understands.

The Reds have been in talks with the home-grown pair for the last few months as they look to secure the duo on long-term deals.

The pair are entering the final year of their existing deals and Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to reward them with three-year extensions.

Midfielder Spearing, who captained the FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007, made his debut for the first team last season and impressed as a substitute in the UEFA Champions League win over Real Madrid.

Full-back Darby is highly-rated at Anfield and he made three appearances in the first team last term.

The duo are expected to put pen-to-paper on the contracts next week when Liverpool return for pre-season training.

----

yay.
[/quote]

When did Darby play for the first team?
I don't recall that at all.

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=34552.msg900860#msg900860 date=1246817254]
Champions league i think.

He may have made a sub appearance in the league, can't remember.
[/quote]

It was against PSV wasn't it?

[quote author=Gareth link=topic=34552.msg900864#msg900864 date=1246817609]
Yes, him Kelly and Spearing came on.

I think there was another.

Carling Cup?
[/quote]

He played against Tottenham in the Carling Cup...

I think it's just the two appearances though.

He is mentioned a lot on here, and in general the view is pretty positive.
I'd love to see some youth, in any position, break through this season.

I have high hope for Spearing but not Darby.... Although with Arbeloa on his way out, I think Darby will probably play more next season...

I'd imagine its a make or break season for both of them as they are not getting any younger, would love to see them step up to the plate, spearing in particular could end up being an excellent player, but for his size he would be ahead of Lucas already. Darby looks decent but I worry he's not pysically up to it, hopefully he beefs and speeds up and proves me wrong, wouldn't it be excellent to have 2 more locals good enough to contribute to the squad dept and save us a fortune

From the small number of times I have seen anything of these 2 they seem okay.
I hope that they stay at the club rather than going out on loan somewhere. That never works. The only way to break through into the first team is being at the club, getting the odd game here and there and gradually getting more and more.

Well, it's of no great surprise considering the quotas are coming in.

Therefore I'm not convinced signing them to new contracts means much from a footballing point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom