• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafa and Xabi

I think I'm different to most in that once things have happened, I'm not so bothered for going back and retreading old ground.

The Rafa period has been done to death and then some. It's just boring at this point.

But whilst we're here, I also found him to be incredibly frustrating. He was obviously working under more constraints than others but he was also very stubborn, made a lot of baffling decisions and ultimately was the agent of his own demise.

He'll always be revered for Istanbul and the first couple years when he was putting together that Gerrard, Torres, Alonso team felt like we were genuinely onto something. Shame it all came to nothing.

In terms of Rodgers, no way I can have him near Rafa. I don't know if anyone has been checking out what our former analytical director Ian Graham has been saying about Rodgers, but it doesn't paint him in a good light. We all knew there were tensions in the relationship between Rodgers and the spreadsheet boys, but the levels of disfunction beggar belief. They had to have trade-offs with him in order to bring in players that the analytics told them would be brilliant. Bobby was one of the highest profile cases of course, who Rodgers only agreed to us buying if he could have Benteke. It was chaos. Like indulging a spoilt brat.

In terms of Rodgers, no way I can have him near Rafa. I don't know if anyone has been checking out what our former analytical director Ian Graham has been saying about Rodgers, but it doesn't paint him in a good light. We all knew there were tensions in the relationship between Rodgers and the spreadsheet boys, but the levels of disfunction beggar belief. They had to have trade-offs with him in order to bring in players that the analytics told them would be brilliant. Bobby was one of the highest profile cases of course, who Rodgers only agreed to us buying if he could have Benteke. It was chaos. Like indulging a spoilt brat.

Yeah I tried telling everyone that at the time cos it seemed obvious to me.

As if the same fuckwit who wanted to sign Clint Dempsey and Benteke would also have gone for Firmino and Emre Can etc.

The implicit trading off was blatant.

Anyone who doubts it has only to look at Brodgers' mishandling of Bobby, whom (if he used him at all) he stuck out wide. IMO we played too well in that one near-miss season for him to be regarded as an out-and-out failure, but Rafa at his best was the better manager by a street.

Anyone who doubts it has only to look at Brodgers' mishandling of Bobby, whom (if he used him at all) he stuck out wide. IMO we played too well in that one near-miss season for him to be regarded as an out-and-out failure, but Rafa at his best was the better manager by a street.

Rodgers is lucky the "transfer committee" saved him from disaster, that's for sure. No way we'd have made that title challenge if we'd signed Dempsey instead of Sturridge and Tom Ince instead of Coutinho (fucking LOL - what a fucking weapon).

Buuuuut, I do still think he doesn't really get the credit he deserves for that season. I still think it's probably the most enjoyable season I've ever experienced. It was just sheer joy watching that team. The title year wasn't fun in the same way: we were relentless but almost too controlled. And we were so far ahead by Xmas that it wasn't really exciting after that. Plus covid fucked us.

On the comment I have highlighted - has that not always been the case anyway - when you say shite - it's actually quite normal. Right now in world football you could argue that the best are Pep, and Carlo. In England in the 2000's we had Fergie, and Wenger really and no one else - and Fergie was the Pep of his day. So the management pool and how you rate it really depended on the teams they were managing and spending power even back then. What we are seeing now is the replacement of those regular merry-go-round managers of the day like Big Sam, that Stoke manager the tall one), Alan P., Harry, etc. - now we have foreign coaches taking their place.
I think that's a fair analysis, I know during that 2012-2015 FSG were doing their data analysis to see who could work off the tight budgets l. Amongst Brenden and Klopp you had managers like Simeone, Emery, Pochettino and Tuchel coming through, even a few older heads in Bielsa and Gasperini - we definitely got the pick of the bunch with Klopp...it is nice to see the back of wankers like Alan P and Far Sam..

Rodgers is lucky the "transfer committee" saved him from disaster, that's for sure. No way we'd have made that title challenge if we'd signed Dempsey instead of Sturridge and Tom Ince instead of Coutinho (fucking LOL - what a fucking weapon).

Buuuuut, I do still think he doesn't really get the credit he deserves for that season. I still think it's probably the most enjoyable season I've ever experienced. It was just sheer joy watching that team. The title year wasn't fun in the same way: we were relentless but almost too controlled. And we were so far ahead by Xmas that it wasn't really exciting after that. Plus covid fucked us.

That first 20 minutes against Arsenal. Might have been the best I have seen us play. Should have been 8-0 up. Arsenal has no clue what hit them.

As @peterhague said - Dempsey instead of Sturridge and Tom Ince instead of Coutinho. I mean, it shows how bad a judge of player he was. And it also shows how thin the margins of success can be. Coutinho's sale brought in VVD and Allison Becker, the foundations of our success. Who knew saying no to Tom Ince would bring us the league.

Benitez signed Coutinho didn’t he?

EDIT : Nope, signed on his recommendation apparently

Nope - Rodgers.

Benitez had him at Inter when Coutinho first arrived, but the signing had been done a few years earlier and he’d stayed on loan in Brazil.

Benitez would have been at Chelsea when Coutinho signed for us.

Nope - Rodgers.

Benitez had him at Inter when Coutinho first arrived, but the signing had been done a few years earlier and he’d stayed on loan in Brazil.

Benitez would have been at Chelsea when Coutinho signed for us.
The data analytics bloke in the other thread said Rodgers wanted Tom Ince instead.

Yeah, ok, to get completely accurate - Coutinho was signed by the club while Rodgers was manager - not “by” him.

No that's not the point. Standard parlance eg Hyypia was signed by Houllier is fine in most cases, just not with Rodgers where he really deserves no credit at all because his choices were apparently always so terrible, and when we did make good signings it was in spite of him.

No that's not the point. Standard parlance eg Hyypia was signed by Houllier is fine in most cases, just not with Rodgers where he really deserves no credit at all because his choices were apparently always so terrible, and when we did make good signings it was in spite of him.

I’m happy with whatever terminology you want to use to make whatever point about Rodgers you want to make.

I wish I’d just said “no, Benitez didn’t sign Coutinho for Liverpool” and left it at that.

Back
Top Bottom