• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Pre Season Friendly - Sevilla (H) - Sunday 12:30

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Awkward thread to start as there are two friendlies back to back. This suggests a lot of players are going to get 70 min stints and I wonder if we will use some other players to make 20 min subs in each.

Will be great to see Trent, Virgil, Gakpo, Darwin, Diaz all back on the pitch. I wonder how close we will get to the Ipswich starting XI for this. I haven't seen Alisson back in any videos yet, is that correct?

Not going to chuck any line ups out - but will be very interesting to see formation and tactics now that he has the full squad (particularly attackers) available.

I'll chuck my line up out.

Alisson

Trent
Van Dijk
Konate
Tsimikas

Macca
Szobo
Elliott

Salah
Jota
Gakkers

No idea how we'll line up. I think it makes sense for Slot to see how the more established players adapt to his tactics, and then use the following game to fine-tune the starting eleven for Ipswich I'm especially looking forward to seeing Mac Allister in the Slots team. I've said it before but it's only been confirmed by some of our footie pre-season; he's going to shine. Having all our attacking options back will also be interesting as to how Slot a) sees it and b) pieces it all together. It sounds like Nunez is going to be solely as a 9, so where do Gakpo and Jota fit in around that? Both are versatile and have their preferences, but you would imagine one will primarily be competing for 9 and one for LW. All of the attackers have a point to prove to some extent. I have greater faith now that players will be shipped if they're not performing or providing value, so there is a sense of this year being an audition for many of them. If I had to guess I'd suspect Diaz is most 'at risk' under Slot, but there are always surprises. Currently, Diaz holds onto the ball too long in key moments and doesn't drive into the box enough off the ball, and when he does the finishing is patchy. Additionally, he's on a different wavelength to many of his teammates and that just doesn't fit in well with Slot's style. It's passable amidst Klopp chaos football, but Slot wants a precise pass-and-move machine where players know where their next out ball is before they receive it. Diaz doesn't fit into that.

Anyway, 1-2 Sevilla win. Fuck Sevilla. They always find a way to do us and things have been going too smoothly. I have a feeling that a great pre-season often means a shit start to the season, so a scrappy defeat now would be fine.

Makes sense to play the team that most likely will start against Ipswich in the first game, and then play the kids/reserves against Las Palmas.

Problem is of course that a few of the starters against Ipswich can’t play more than 65-70 mins.

I there was a line up I wanted to see it would be:

Kelleher (if Ali is still not back?!)

Trent
Quansah
Virgil
Tsimikas

Macca
Gravy
Elliot

Salah
Jota
Gakpo

Wouldn’t we play the strongest team with those ready for next week in the first game and the newly arrived in the second.

I fancy maybe Ali, Trent, maybe Virgil, Mac A, Diaz & Nunez play in the second game.

The rest are playing in the first, but less subs.

So a week out, I'd imagine the line up v Sevilla will resemble mostly what the team will be for Ipswich and the main reason for Las Palmas is to give the late arrivals some form of match sharpness with the view to giving them last 15-20.

Alisson Bradley Konate Quansah Kostas Endo Grav Szobo Salah Jota Carvalho

Can also see Sepp, Mac and Harv getting 45mins, whether from the start or not, no idea.

Back
Top Bottom