• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PL Opposition Tidbits

You deliberately leave out the important bit of that quote, namely "without at the very least obstructing him", and you do that because it destroys your point.

Yes, I know it happens all the time. It's still a foul (as you yourself concede with the Isak example) whether or not it's given. When it isn't, it's up to the officials to explain their inconsistency. There is absolutely nothing in the rules to justify it, just as there isn't with the "how much contact" argument.

This is getting terribly funny rather rapidly. United (The Glazers) are being ‘advised’ by Radcliffe to remove Arnold and to replace him with Blanc. The kicker here for me being the United fans were screaming out for a new way forward last season and creaming themselves stupid once Arnold appointed the man they wanted most, Ten Hags. So was Arnold an idiot? Was Ten Hags a bad hire? Why replace him if he wasn’t?

Fun, fun, fun until Daddy takes my tbird away

They're beyond desperate to see the club right itself and in those circs any pretence of sound judgment flies out the window - "Ole at the wheel" and all that. The bitters were the same - cf.what they were coming out with about "Super Frankie Lampard". You love to see it.

FWIW Romeo Lavia will be available for selection at the weekend. Since Caicedo’s been a bit shit he may get a look in

Just noticed that the clown in United’s goal got injured during the internationals. Never heard of someone injuring theirPubis before, but it got a chortle out of me!

By my calc that’s 11 down for them:

Injured
Onana

Martinez
Evans
Shaw
Malacia
Diallo

Casemiro
Eriksen

Hojlund

Naughty Step:

Anthony

Dunce hat in the corner:

Sancho

Last edited:
Quite a lengthy list tbf but no empathy from me as they have about 6028 players on their books.

Sancho still hasn’t said sorry? Christ Jadon lad.

Bear shits in woods. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Dishing out penalties for this would be like "handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500".
It may well happen all the time but these things often don't come to light until about 1000 years later & how often is it reported in a paper like the Times that the FA could well investigate into the breaches.

Don't be surprised if this is the last we hear of this.

It may well happen all the time but these things often don't come to light until about 1000 years later & how often is it reported in a paper like the Times that the FA could well investigate into the breaches.

Don't be surprised if this is the last we hear of this.
I'm pretty sure the FA would have fobbed the Times off with a pat on the head and a "we'll have a think about it" quote. Because if they do Spurs for this, everyone's dirty laundry will have to come out - do some quick Googling of Andy Carroll, Mark Curtis, David Bromley, Peter Harrison for an example of where we'd be in the shit on these rules.
The FA knows this stuff goes on, they turn a blind eye unless anyone complains.

Breaking: Premier League vote 13-7 for the motion to ban related-party loans - meaning that it FAILS to pass by a single vote (minimum threshold of 14). Means #NUFC could sign players from PIF-owned clubs in January, should they wish.

Tottenham could face a points deduction after an investigation found rules were broken in the transfer that sent Jermain Defoe to Portsmouth. The FA has said it's prepared to review any new evidence in this case. In the same year of Defoe's transfer, Luton were docked 10 points for breaking agent regulations. Source:
@TimesSport

Breaking: Premier League vote 13-7 for the motion to ban related-party loans - meaning that it FAILS to pass by a single vote (minimum threshold of 14). Means #NUFC could sign players from PIF-owned clubs in January, should they wish.
So does this basically mean Saudi clubs can buy players and just send them on loan to Newcastle the next season so that Newcastle don't breach ffp regulations..

Tottenham could face a points deduction after an investigation found rules were broken in the transfer that sent Jermain Defoe to Portsmouth. The FA has said it's prepared to review any new evidence in this case. In the same year of Defoe's transfer, Luton were docked 10 points for breaking agent regulations. Source:
@TimesSport
Jermaine Defoe to Portsmouth was in 2008...

They took 15 years to investigate?

Jermaine Defoe to Portsmouth was in 2008...

They took 15 years to investigate?
Usually a case can be reopened if new evidence comes to light KR.....that's kinda how it works. The double jeopardy rule doesn't come into effect here as they were never technically cleared of any wrongdoing so the case gets pushed aside to the archives where it's sat for the last 15 years.

So does this basically mean Saudi clubs can buy players and just send them on loan to Newcastle the next season so that Newcastle don't breach ffp regulations..
Pretty much, but they wouldn't be able to buy and loan to Newcastle in the same transfer window.
In the extreme scenario, it basically means Newcastle would be able to avoid putting transfer fees through their books as loan fees will often cover wages. only.
However: Would they cover the Saudi-level enhanced wages? And how would the players feel about their tax-free, super-inflated salaries suddenly becoming taxable?
So let's look at Neves as an example. Newcastle could have signed him for £47m like Al-Hilal did. a they'd have paid him, say £150k per week. Say £10m to the agent. Annual cost would be about £20m over a 5-year contract.
A-Hilal are reported to be paying him £300k per week, tax-free. So that would be £600k if he were in the UK to give him equivalent net. Add social security and the annual cost is £36m per season for a proper, commercially negotiated loan that covers wages only and leaves the player no worse off.
Anyone reckon they're going to be paying that much?
And if they're not, they need to be hammered by the Premier League because the loan is at under-value between connected companies and PSR shouldn't allow that.
And if Al-Hilal subsidise the wages (pay Neves even more so he's no worse off) then that's blatant financial doping. In a real-world scenario they'd just keep him where he is and not incur the extra cost.

Not to mention our ex Man City coaches logging into their old accounts elaborate and damaging hack of Man City's extensive transfer database.

Careful…, this can only lead to that time we attacked their team bus with thermonuclear weapons!!!!

Pretty much, but they wouldn't be able to buy and loan to Newcastle in the same transfer window.
In the extreme scenario, it basically means Newcastle would be able to avoid putting transfer fees through their books as loan fees will often cover wages. only.
However: Would they cover the Saudi-level enhanced wages? And how would the players feel about their tax-free, super-inflated salaries suddenly becoming taxable?
So let's look at Neves as an example. Newcastle could have signed him for £47m like Al-Hilal did. a they'd have paid him, say £150k per week. Say £10m to the agent. Annual cost would be about £20m over a 5-year contract.
A-Hilal are reported to be paying him £300k per week, tax-free. So that would be £600k if he were in the UK to give him equivalent net. Add social security and the annual cost is £36m per season for a proper, commercially negotiated loan that covers wages only and leaves the player no worse off.
Anyone reckon they're going to be paying that much?
And if they're not, they need to be hammered by the Premier League because the loan is at under-value between connected companies and PSR shouldn't allow that.
And if Al-Hilal subsidise the wages (pay Neves even more so he's no worse off) then that's blatant financial doping. In a real-world scenario they'd just keep him where he is and not incur the extra cost.
I could see the Saudis continuing to pay the bulk of their contracted salary via the Saudi payroll and a portion via the Newcastle one to take the edge off the tax situation. Player gets the benefit of an elevated salary living in England. Obviously, farcical but would it break a rule?Teams have, in the past, massively subsidised wages to get a player out of a club so the precedent is there

Hope Everton get relegated now after being one of the clubs voting against this change.

I could see the Saudis continuing to pay the bulk of their contracted salary via the Saudi payroll and a portion via the Newcastle one to take the edge off the tax situation. Player gets the benefit of an elevated salary living in England. Obviously, farcical but would it break a rule?Teams have, in the past, massively subsidised wages to get a player out of a club so the precedent is there
Tax doesn’t work like that for footballers. If he’s playing in the UK, his salary is taxed here, no matter who pays it.

Tax doesn’t work like that for footballers. If he’s playing in the UK, his salary is taxed here, no matter who pays it.
Ahhh.

I remember being offered a secondment to The UAE many years ago. I got excited by the idea of low/no tax until I found out I’d still be being paid in the UK.

Ahhh.

I remember being offered a secondment to The UAE many years ago. I got excited by the idea of low/no tax until I found out I’d still be being paid in the UK.
It’s more than that. There are specific rules for what are referred to “artistes and athletes” which provide that sportspeople and musicians etc. pay tax where they carry out their profession. This is what’s at the root of the current story about women footballers being taxed in Australia on their World Cup earnings - basically Australia applied the normal rules because FIFA didn’t negotiate an exemption, which they would normally do as a condition of awarding a tournament to a country.
You could potentially have avoided the tax on (some or all) of those UAE earnings if you’d been out of the country long enough to become non-resident.

It’s more than that. There are specific rules for what are referred to “artistes and athletes” which provide that sportspeople and musicians etc. pay tax where they carry out their profession. This is what’s at the root of the current story about women footballers being taxed in Australia on their World Cup earnings - basically Australia applied the normal rules because FIFA didn’t negotiate an exemption, which they would normally do as a condition of awarding a tournament to a country.
You could potentially have avoided the tax on (some or all) of those UAE earnings if you’d been out of the country long enough to become non-resident.
Is it the same in the UK that you have to live outside the country for more than 183 to be considered non resident for tax purposes?

Back
Top Bottom