• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Zubimendi

Very Xabi-like in his passing and a more mature version of Morton. Not physically imposing like Rodri. Quite like Endo is awareness and positioning to break-up play, but more press resistant with the ability to dribble out of trouble and into space when necessary or available.

I like very much!

I expect this rumor to be ruled out within 24 hours.

I still don't think we'll get him. Unless we're offering mad money with mad bonuses I can't see it.

I have arrived with my new pop up tent (here for anyone who wants to feel like a don at the beach), assessing the area to deploy the 6 man tent.

Light supplies in the boot to get me through to lunch time tomorrow. Pack of stroopwaffles, tesco meal deal and a 4 pack of neck oils.

Time to repost this from last year (https://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/the-search-for-a-new-dm.197615/page-29#post-2244421)

=====

€60million release clause

Martin Zubimendi is the Gen-Z Sergio Busquets at the heart of Real Sociedad’s midfield

Xavi hails Real Sociedad midfielder: Zubimendi's an extraordinary pivot

The Barça coach has praised the La Real midfielder and made it very clear that he sees him as capable of integrating into the azulgrana's style of play. "Zubimendi is an extraordinary pivot. He dominates the game, the moments with and without the ball. He wins duels, he is an extraordinary player in that position. He understands the model we like at Barça," he stated.

Real Sociedad’s Martín Zubimendi: ‘Xabi Alonso is an idol, a role model’

Former Premier League midfielder Xabi Alonso, who coached Zubimendi as a youngster, had previously spoken highly of him: “Martín’s a player all coaches would want. He’s generous, he always thinks more about his teammates than himself. He has that ability to generate play, to make those around him better, always offering solutions; to improve the move. He understands what the next step is before the ball gets to him. He has that ability to organise, the axis. I loved working with him.”

Martín Zubimendi: The Real Sociedad Midfielder Finding Stardom in Simplicity

When compared against defensive and central midfielders since the start of last season, Zubimendi ranks in the top five players in La Liga for both duel (62%) and aerial duel (71%) win percentage.

la-liga-duel-success-among-midfielders-in-2022-23-1024x645.jpg

Since the start of last term, Zubimendi has completed 86% of his passes in La Liga, with an average of 51 attempts per 90. In a comparison among defensive and central midfielders in this period, it’s enough to put Zubimendi in the upper-right quadrant – the sweet spot of players who are both above-average in their activity as a passer and in their efficiency in doing so.

The 23-year-old has always been a tidy mover of the ball. That much was clear from his first season. And quite frankly, it’s no surprise for a player who has made it this this far having developed at Zubieta, where his coach in the B team was Xabi Alonso – the man who Zubimendi credits for his understanding of building play from the back. With the passing of the seasons, this education has been thrust against the realities of football at the top level, with lessons learned along the way but reinforced on the other side.

All of which leads us to the present version of Zubimendi: a player moulded in a specific technical form by a thorough education, who has now lived through and understands what it means to apply it in the most competitive scenarios.

After a century of games, he now plays with a composure that isn’t hurried by difficult periods of matches or the quality of opposition. It’s the combination of technical and mental skills to know that the most basic pass might be the best one in the moment, or even, deciding that a movement that doesn’t present him as a receiver of a pass might be more beneficial to the team’s possession. It’s the things that Vicente del Bosque previously referred to – the almost undetectable acts that the pivote leaves on a game.

For Zubimendi, whose trajectory as a player has been ascendant for three consecutive seasons, his next impending development will revolve around the variety of his passing. At the moment, he falls into the ‘sensible’ category rather than ‘determining’ as a distributor, although perhaps that’s tied to the reality of the position. What is clear, however, is that there’s some room for growth in his passing responsibilities – the type that could take him up a further level yet.

In typically attentive fashion, Zubimendi is aware of it and already in the process of diversifying his intentions. Since 2019-20, his first season with notable minutes, the percentage of his passes that are played forward has climbed in each of his four campaigns in La Liga. In the current season, over a third of Zubimendi’s passes are now being played forward (35%); the highest rate of any defensive or central midfielder with at least 500 minutes played.
mz-jpg.2876

mz2-jpg.2875

If we are moving to a more possession game with two holding players, which everything indicates so far, then the need for someone like Endo reduces. That's not to say he can't be useful, but we are remodeling the side away from his skill set.

It looks like Slot wants both deeper players to be very well rounded midfielders.

He's back up to Rodri in a very good Spanish side, which has to be some indication of his quality.

Also, you cunts absolutely should not be comparing him to Xabi unless you're 100% sure he's gonna play football half as sexy as the goat.

If we are moving to a more possession game with two holding players, which everything indicates so far, then the need for someone like Endo reduces. That's not to say he can't be useful, but we are remodeling the side away from his skill set.

It looks like Slot wants both deeper players to be very well rounded midfielders.

He's back up to Rodri in a very good Spanish side, which has to be some indication of his quality.

Going by preseason the most pressing need is obviously for more technical players to implement the passing out from the back. Virtually all our problems arose from being pressured into mistakes during that first phase. So yeah getting Mac plus Zubi and VVD into the side should be just the ticket.

If he has to think about joining LFC you know it's already a failed move.

Moving very swiftly on....

Thinking about it?
Weird if we release information unless he is coming.
I agree with this, our hit rate when leaks like this come out is usually very high, it was joked earlier in the thread, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he was a red before next week.

Back
Top Bottom