• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
BLETT REVEALS TERRY MAC CALLS
Jimmy Rice 20 April 2009

Gary Ablett today revealed how Huddersfield Town assistant manager Terry McDermott has made repeated phone calls to Melwood to rave about Reds starlet Martin Kelly.
Kelly joined the Terriers on loan at the end of March and scored a first professional goal on his fifth appearance at the weekend.

The 18-year-old has switched from centre-half to full-back - and his talent has caught the eye of Kop legend McDermott.

Ablett said: "I think it's a testament to Martin as a person and a player that Terry McDermott has rung me on several occasions to say they underestimated him - they didn't realise how good he was.

"He's played in both full-back positions and he's come up at the weekend and scored a goal with his left foot.

"He's a very level-headed, sensible young man, and the experience of playing there with a young, innovative manager like Lee Clark and with Terry Mac - he's in good hands.

"The experience will have done him good and we look forward to having him back as a more mature player."

The Whiston-born defender scored the winner in a 3-2 victory over Walsall at the weekend, a strike which also earned him the praise of Huddersfield veteran Andy Booth.

The striker said: "Martin looks a very good player and it would be nice to have him here next season. He's definitely one to watch."

Meanwhile, Ablett is hoping his reserves can get their first league win since January 20 at home to Bolton this evening.

The Reds sit bottom of the Premier League (North) but could leapfrog Wanderers by claiming victory.

Ablett added: "It's an important game - they all are. We spoke to the boys yesterday and told them we've got four games left in our domestic programme, and they're four games we need to win - three in the league plus the Senior Cup final.

"They're all massively important games in terms of monitoring the players."

The second string have just three days to prepare for their league trip to Hull following tonight's game.

Ablett revealed some senior players, including the injured Philipp Degen, could be involved later in the week.

"There may be a couple of seniors come into contention later in the week because they need games," he said.

"Philipp will be looking to play at some stage in the next nine days, and we look forward to having him back and getting him some football."

Ablett welcomes back Jay Spearing and Stephen Darby tonight after they were involved in first-team training ahead of last week's Champions League fixture. However, Vincent Weijl is out with a hip injury.

Whatever side takes to the Halliwell Jones pitch in Warrington, Ablett is hoping for more cutting edge than he witnessed during a 2-1 defeat at the Reebok earlier in the campaign.

"It was a very senior test at the Reebok - they had five or six in there with senior experience," he said. "We could have been three or four up at half-time, but we've been guilty through the majority of the season of failing to take our chances when they arrive."

-------------------

We've got two impressive young central defenders in the squad. Martin Kelly and Jack Hobbs.
Hobbs just won the League one championship with Leicester having featured 41 times in the league scoring 1 goal. They've only let in 37 goals this season so far.
Is Agger really that important...

[quote author=Stu link=topic=32921.msg848780#msg848780 date=1240231864]
Hopefully we get a few quid for them both then, because they ain't got a future at this club!
[/quote]

I think that's rather harsh on both of them - Kelly is highly rated by many (if I'm not mistaken) and Hobbs can at least be a reserve ... Having a strong reserve set up where the kids can be active members of the first team (bench, spot starters etc) is essential.

San Jose is by far the best CH outside the first team. Ablett has a thing for Kelly for some reason and is always bigging him up regardless of the fact that San Jose and Ayala are better.

And yes Agger is that important and none of this lot have anywhere close to the ball skills that Agger has.

[quote author=Modokay link=topic=32921.msg848778#msg848778 date=1240231771]
Is Agger really that important...
[/quote]

So a couple of reserve players have scored a goal each and played well in League one, so we should should sack off Agger a consistant and brilliant performer in the Premiership and Champions League who scores goals as well!

Kelly is a very talented youngster, and probably the biggest prospect we have at CB. He won't be sold, and I hope he's loaned out for all next season. Gets some experience and takes his game to another level.

Hobbs has been quality for Leicester, I hope we keep him for a lil while longer

Always looks quality and one for the future. I'd like to see us hang on to him, although I think he'll get noticed sooner or later anyway whether it be in our ressies or in the Championship.

I think Hobbs' contract expires the end of this season and I don't see any indication that we're handing him a new contract.

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=32921.msg848795#msg848795 date=1240233059]
San Jose is by far the best CH outside the first team. Ablett has a thing for Kelly for some reason and is always bigging him up regardless of the fact that San Jose and Ayala are better.

And yes Agger is that important and none of this lot have anywhere close to the ball skills that Agger has.
[/quote]

Ayala has barely played for the reserves. San Jose is very good, but I noticed Kelly in the first game he played and think he is great - deserves all the praise he gets.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=32921.msg848827#msg848827 date=1240235056]

[/quote]

Ayala has barely played for the reserves. San Jose is very good, but I noticed Kelly in the first game he played and think he is great - deserves all the praise he gets.
[/quote]

Will he make it in your opinion Keniget?

And by make it I mean will he become a first team regular.

Hard to say. I'm a complete cynic when it comes to young players making it out of the reserves, but he might have a chance over someone like San Jose because:

1. He's versatile - can play CB and RB.
2. Has a bit more pace.
3. Is English (maybe this might count in his favour).

OLD MASTER Andy Booth is predicting a bright future for young gun Martin Kelly.

Town’s on-loan Liverpool defender clinched Saturday’s 3-2 win at Walsall with his first career goal.

The right-back, who turns 19 a week today, curled home a 62nd-minute left-foot strike after Booth’s double had hauled Town back into the game from 2-0 down.

“Martin produced a great finish and it was lovely to see him chalk up the first goal of his career,†said Booth, who has scored 182 at club level, 148 of them for Town.

“If he doesn’t become an established Premier League player, I’d be very surprised.â€

It was Kelly’s fifth appearance for Town, to go with one at Liverpool, and Galpharm boss Lee Clark says he has already enquired about taking him on loan for the whole of next season.

“It would be great to get him back, because he’s definitely one to wath,†added Booth.

I don't mean to be harsh LTW, I'd like these kids to make it through but very few are making it and we continue to spend decent money on foreign, established defenders. Agger, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Dossena. When will the oppurtunity arrive?

Thanks Keni, I'd value your football opinion more than most on here.
What's your view on this lad Nemeth? Will he do it would you say?

I'd love to see us field a team of reserve and youths in the League cup next season.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=32921.msg848848#msg848848 date=1240237258]
Hard to say. I'm a complete cynic when it comes to young players making it out of the reserves, but he might have a chance over someone like San Jose because:

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

He is also quite tall, I think that is the major advantage he has over players like Spearing.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=32921.msg848827#msg848827 date=1240235056]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kelly seems to be your typical Englisher stopper type. San Jose is more cultured, positionally he's really good and can carry the ball as well.

Ayala plays in the youth cup team.

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

Have you seen Wisdom play? That kid is scary. He's played CB, RB and CM and each time it looked like he'd been playing there forever.

No offence to a few on here (some of who I know pay very close attention to the youth level/reserves) but I won't write any player off until the club do. Nobody sees these kids as much as the coaches and it isn't very often one of them is talked up by a coach, when they do there is usually a reason.
I like the look of Kelly and hope he makes it (which nobody knows if he will or he won't, I maintain that you don't see the best of a CB until they are over 25) but I would be disappointed if we don't at least get a few quid back on Hobbs considering the time invested in his development.

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=32921.msg848893#msg848893 date=1240241081]

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

Have you seen Wisdom play? That kid is scary. He's played CB, RB and CM and each time it looked like he'd been playing there forever.
[/quote]

And he's only 15 or just turned 16. People over at TLW who follow the reserves closely, rate Wisdom as a potential wonderkid.

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Do we have two Wisdom-named lads in the Reserves these days?

That one sounds rather good.

🙂

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=32921.msg848900#msg848900 date=1240241834]

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Do we have two Wisdom-named lads in the Reserves these days?

That one sounds rather good.

🙂
[/quote]

Any news on Saric mate? I've been wanting to see him play for a while now.

Wisdom is ok at youth level, but isn't ready for the reserves yet and looks very shaky at the (relative) big stage.

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

[/quote]

RE: Kelly

He's not too shabby on the ball himself actually. That's what struck me when I first saw him playing at RB. He may not have the elegance of San Jose at times, but I don't know, there is just something about him. If anyone has been sad enough to follow my posts on the reserves, they'll have noticed that I have always singled him as a favourite.

Wisdom I've only seen once. Maybe it was in a Youth Cup game. I was quite excited / interested to see the performance because, like others, I'd heard the massive hype. Well, he was fucking awful on the night - all over the place. I'm assuming / hoping that wasn't a typical performance.

[quote author=drizzt link=topic=32921.msg848892#msg848892 date=1240240945]
Kelly seems to be your typical Englisher stopper type. San Jose is more cultured, positionally he's really good and can carry the ball as well.

Ayala plays in the youth cup team.
[/quote]

He's not too shabby on the ball himself actually. That's what struck me when I first saw him playing at RB. He may not have the elegance of San Jose at times, but I don't know, there is just something about him. If anyone has been sad enough to follow my posts on the reserves, they'll have noticed that I have always singled him as a favourite.

Ayala I've not seen all that much of. He played a few times for the reserves last season and didn't really leave an impression on me.

[/quote]

Wisdom I've only seen once. Maybe it was in a Youth Cup game. I was quite excited / interested to see the performance because, like others, I'd heard the massive hype. Well, he was fucking awful on the night - all over the place. I'm assuming / hoping that wasn't a typical performance.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=32921.msg848947#msg848947 date=1240249141]

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

[/quote]

RE: Kelly

[/quote]

Wisdom has a great future, I think however we'll have to live with very up and down performances for a while. He's after all 15 years old.

I agree re Kelly. He's always looked good, and he has that extra bit of potential that could see him making it.
He's good in the air, comfortable on the ball, quick and has the right height aswell. I'm very happy that he's taken his chance so well at Huddersfield.

[quote author=peekay link=topic=32921.msg848899#msg848899 date=1240241802]

2. Has a bit more pace.
[/quote]

[/quote]

And he's only 15 or just turned 16. People over at TLW who follow the reserves closely, rate Wisdom as a potential wonderkid.
[/quote]

Errrm, that's probably me 🙂

Martin Hansen; Emmanuel Mendy, Mikel San Jose, Godwin Antwi, Stephen Darby; Victor Palsson, Andras Simon, Jay Spearing, Gerardo Bruna, Daniel Pacheco, Krisztian Nemeth.

There's a couple of players there that really have to go after this season.

[quote author=Hansern link=topic=32921.msg848962#msg848962 date=1240250490]
Martin Hansen; Emmanuel Mendy, Mikel San Jose, Godwin Antwi, Stephen Darby; Victor Palsson, Andras Simon, Jay Spearing, Gerardo Bruna, Daniel Pacheco, Krisztian Nemeth.

There's a couple of players there that really have to go after this season.
[/quote]

Will be a good test for San Jose against a Portugese full international.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom