• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Leicester City - 3-0 Post Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, you need to realise that Matip and Fabs are going to be our CB-pairing this season. Gomez and Van Dijk aren't coming back.

What I'm trying to say is that Klopp will probably try to play them together as much as possible so that they gel even more. I think we see them start against Atalanta and Brighton on the weekend.
They might then get rested in last two CL games,
depending on the result against Atalanta on Wednesday.
I'm not so sure the logic that VVD & Gomez are out for the rest of season means Matip & Fab start every game at CB.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least one of them out of the defence tomorrow, if not both.

I think we'll see a much changed side tomorrow & against Brighton.

I'm not so sure the logic that VVD & Gomez are out for the rest of season means Matip & Fab start every game at CB.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least one of them out of the defence tomorrow, if not both.

I think we'll see a much changed side tomorrow & against Brighton.
That's not what I meant. What I meant is that I don't believe he will rotate that much.
I haven't seen Klopp rotate CB's unless it's absolutely essential.

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that I don't believe he will rotate that much.
I haven't seen Klopp rotate CB's unless it's absolutely essential.
Matip will be rotated a bit more than were used to I'd imagine, as he's always one lunge away from injury

Two ball playing defenders at the back. Put Thiago infront of them and opponents can forget about having any possession in the game.

Matip has always been severely underrated. Barring his injury issues he has been consistently very good whenever he has got onto the pitch for a good 2-3 seasons now.

Good center backs are a rarity these days, and we are lucky to have 4 on our books, when they are not made of glass.

Matip has always been severely underrated. Barring his injury issues he has been consistently very good whenever he has got onto the pitch for a good 2-3 seasons now.

Good center backs are a rarity these days, and we are lucky to have 4 on our books, when they are not made of glass.
Who is the 4th? Asking for a friend.

Who is the 4th? Asking for a friend.

Fab of course. When you see how Fernandinho and pretty much every other midfielder tend to struggle when put into CB at this level, it will be rude not to give the accolade of a "Good CB" to Fab.

Although we are coping so far with the injury crisis it could derail our season. Never mind the virus the injury bug is spreading. I'd rest Robbo for Atalanta. He came back from internationals with a slight knock so he has to be rested. Joel as well. Mane is a great athlete but I'd rest him as well. Trust the Boss to manage this situation, not going to be easy but he won't panic and we know whoever gets a shirt will give everything to get the result.

Fab of course. When you see how Fernandinho and pretty much every other midfielder tend to struggle when put into CB at this level, it will be rude not to give the accolade of a "Good CB" to Fab.
Fair enough. I just have a hard time classifying him as such. He is a superb footballer and can play in many positions. By that criteria a few other from our gilted squad might classify as a good CB by the end of the year.. I just see losing him from the midfield for the year as a very sad outcome. Especially with Thiago sidelined and Hendo oft injured too recently. I hope we sign a 4th CB or one of the youngsters really cements themselves as better to use than Fabs in that position by the end of the January.

Love the way he shifts a gear and moves forward, sparks off attacks. At 29 hitting his peak and should be good for another 2/3 seasons. Great signing by the Boss..and free as well..

Last edited:
Fair enough. I just have a hard time classifying him as such. He is a superb footballer and can play in many positions. By that criteria a few other from our gilted squad might classify as a good CB by the end of the year.. I just see losing him from the midfield for the year as a very sad outcome. Especially with Thiago sidelined and Hendo oft injured too recently. I hope we sign a 4th CB or one of the youngsters really cements themselves as better to use than Fabs in that position by the end of the January.

We've got alot more quality available in midfield, than we do in defense, so it makes every sense that he be used there and that we class him as an available centre back. And in fairness, his performances in midfield over the last few months were nowhere near the standard of performance he is giving at centre half.

We've still got Milner, Jones, Gini, Shaqiri available, and Henderson, Thiago and Ox on the way back, and other players who can fill in advanced midfield roles. At centre half we're down to two available senior players, so for more or less the remainder of this season, Fabinho is a first choice CB.

We've got alot more quality available in midfield, than we do in defense, so it makes every sense that he be used there and that we class him as an available centre back. And in fairness, his performances in midfield over the last few months were nowhere near the standard of performance he is giving at centre half.

We've still got Milner, Jones, Gini, Shaqiri available, and Henderson, Thiago and Ox on the way back, and other players who can fill in advanced midfield roles. At centre half we're down to two available senior players, so for more or less the remainder of this season, Fabinho is a first choice CB.

So... we have 3 fit midfielders minus Fabs. Shaq is only a midfielder for games we don't intend to defend in... This is a position we have had 6 options in for the majority of our outstanding run and their hard work is the basis for everything we do really. Look... its an injury crisis, its dire.... but Thiago, Hendo, Ox, Keita and even Fabs are all quite injury prone... so losing out one of our best midfielders for the whole season is a hit... I'd stump up an extra 20 mil to get a CB in January instead of waiting.

So... we have 3 fit midfielders minus Fabs. Shaq is only a midfielder for games we don't intend to defend in... This is a position we have had 6 options in for the majority of our outstanding run and their hard work is the basis for everything we do really. Look... its an injury crisis, its dire.... but Thiago, Hendo, Ox, Keita and even Fabs are all quite injury prone... so losing out one of our best midfielders for the whole season is a hit... I'd stump up an extra 20 mil to get a CB in January instead of waiting.
You have to wonder why any club would be willing to let go of a quality CB that can slot right into the league champions’ defense, particularly in Jan, for 20M. Because they wouldn’t.

You have to wonder why any club would be willing to let go of a quality CB that can slot right into the league champions’ defense, particularly in Jan, for 20M. Because they wouldn’t.
I think one of the selling clubs might. Like Leipzig. But... I said 20M extra... as in if we were willing to pay 30m next summer... I'd pay 50m in January... unless Rhys proves himself to much by then he can be trusted over Fabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom