• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Leicester City - 3-0 Post Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Class performances all around today. Keita, Jones, Millie, Fab, Alli, Diogo, Robbo.

Now whilst he didn't score, Mane really impressed me the most today; stepped up in Salah's absence. Our wonderful home record at Anfield started when he came to the club and it's not hard to see why. He's probably the most frightening player in the league.

Forfana has been getting rave reviews this year and I was wondering whether Klopp would stick Mane on the right and Jota on the left (and if the physicality of Forfana would be too much for Diogo).

But nooooo... Jurgen said "let's see this kid is made of" and put our own little powerhouse on the 6'3 Forfana; and well, he absolutely terrorised the lad. Had the kid on toast; a chastening learning experience for him tonight realising that defending is more than just pace and power. That's the amazing thing about Mane, doesn't matter if you're equally as powerful and or as fast, our guy has the intensity/tenacity of Suarez but with more skill, pace and power, as well as intelligence; he really is a nightmare for powerful, quick defenders in a way that our other 3 attackers are not (Walker, AWB, Bellerin, Aurier have all come up short in recent times). I absolutely love the fella.

Our most frightening attacker. And that's saying something given how many goals Salah scores and the form of Diogo.

Jürgen Klopp’s Premier League defeats at Anfield:
2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
1 1 2 0 0 0
Sixty Four Games ...
35983514-8976129-image-a-30_1606092346410.jpg

While there were some great performances out there today I want to single out Robbo in particular. He was immense, and not just today, he hasnt put a foot wrong virtually all season.

I dont think hes the best left back in the game, I think hes the best fullback on either side. Hes become one of our most influential players, and not in a talismanic way where he plays well when we play well, he plays well every week. Hes the sort of player that sets standards for others, no shouting or looking for attention, he just does his job to an incredibly high standard with a relentless level of consistency. When you have young players like Jones or Williams coming through thats exactly the sort of player they need to be around.

Class performances all around today. Keita, Jones, Millie, Fab, Alli, Diogo, Robbo.

Now whilst he didn't score, Mane really impressed me the most today; stepped up in Salah's absence. Our wonderful home record at Anfield started when he came to the club and it's not hard to see why. He's probably the most frightening player in the league.

Forfana has been getting rave reviews this year and I was wondering whether Klopp would stick Mane on the right and Jota on the left (and if the physicality of Forfana would be too much for Diogo).

But nooooo... Jurgen said "let's see this kid is made of" and put our own little powerhouse on the 6'3 Forfana; and well, he absolutely terrorised the lad. Had the kid on toast; a chastening learning experience for him tonight realising that defending is more than just pace and power. That's the amazing thing about Mane, doesn't matter if you're equally as powerful and or as fast, our guy has the intensity/tenacity of Suarez but with more skill, pace and power, as well as intelligence; he really is a nightmare for powerful, quick defenders in a way that our other 3 attackers are not (Walker, AWB, Bellerin, Aurier have all come up short in recent times). I absolutely love the fella.

Our most frightening attacker. And that's saying something given how many goals Salah scores and the form of Diogo.

The way he's able to receive the ball on the wing with his back to goal and a defender all over him and consistently turn, ride the challenge and burst into empty space in behind is like no other player in the league. Yeah, he's frightening to defend against.

Jones was class today. Milner, Robbo too everyone played a part.

I was impressed by Jones I must say, he seems to be rounding out his game very well, he constantly learning and adding to his game. When he first came through I thought he be an attacking CM maybe even a no10 because of his skill but the more I watch him I think hes being groomed to take Hendersons role a few years from now.

I didnt think Neco was particularly good when he came on but I dont want to be too harsh given he didnt have a lot to do. He seems to be trying to do an impression of Trent rather than focusing on just getting the simple things right

That said Id start him against Atalanta because I dont think 3 games in a week is a good idea for Milner and the only way Williams will progress is by playing games.

Agreed, I'd start Rhys too and give Matip a rest.

Esp if Hendo and thiago are playing (I'd give Gini a rest) ... as they should control the middle enough to protect them.
I wish we had another 'CB' option besides Fabinho and Matip until Jan (where we have to spend on one - even if it's just a loan fee)

That said Id start him against Atalanta because I dont think 3 games in a week is a good idea for Milner and the only way Williams will progress is by playing games.
I actually thought he did really well. Of course playing to instructions but he kept possession well and his passing was good. Looked to run beyond the last defender plus he had the pace to hold up Justin etc.

I said that if we beat them, I'd be calling the league for Liverpool.

I'm nit quite there yet, Spurs look like they could be stubborn.

I've just had a look at the CL squad. Very odd! No Phillips, or other back up U23 defenders, just R Williams. OK makes sense if you don't have much space.

But then the midfield/attack is packed out with 8 kids who have never played in a proper first 11.

Regretting that already.

After saying this in the pre match thread, not gonna lie now.... I believe

It was the win against Leicester (and the nature of it) last season that made me think we’re winning the league and it could be this game (albeit early) that would make me think the same if we were to do it in a great performance in this one.

I've just had a look at the CL squad. Very odd! No Phillips, or other back up U23 defenders, just R Williams. OK makes sense if you don't have much space.

But then the midfield/attack is packed out with 8 kids who have never played in a proper first 11.

Regretting that already.
I'm guessing it's because Philips was going to be sold.

Some general thoughts on the game:

• Robbo - this was his best performance of the season. I wonder if the absense of Trent made him put a bit more intensity and purpose into his crossing as it was divine. We need to rest him some time soon, he's on the cusp of being over worked.
  • Fabs - barely noticed him which is the hallmark of a great centre back. You can tell he is a cool head at the back inspiring confidence around him.
  • Millie - superb. Whilst he was targeted at the start, I never felt they had the measure of him and he was more of a threat attacking than Leicester were down his channel.
  • Curtis - i said this during the game but his game reminded me a bit of Gini in that he was a system player. This is exactly what Klopp wants in a CM and he was excellent. You could tell by their chat post game that Maddison felt Curtis had completely marked him out of the game. Kudos!
  • Naby - thought he was excellent pre substitution. I really hope its not a long injury - we have the international break to thank for that, but his pressing was immense and he provided another clever body in the final third.
  • Jota - love him - his movement is excellent, the way he works with Mane & Bobby is great and his skill on the ball sublime. Late in the game he made an excellent dribble through 2-3 leicester players to start another dangerous attack - he's going to be great for us
  • Bobby - looked on form, good link ups, good pressing, good energy. Unlucky with the finish that his the post but great header for his goal. Hopefully he gets some time in the CL games we have left as a chance to continue finding some form.

Our biggest challenge now is going to be keeping at least this group of players fit as we are looking really fuckin' thin on the ground.

I wonder if Neco coming on was also a precursor to us seeing Millie in CM for the next game or so rather than finding another CM somewhere in the squad.

[article]
Milner sums up Liverpool’s show of strength
Early in the second half against Leicester, Naby Keïta was forced off with a thigh injury and James Milner, who had been excelling at right-back, was moved into midfield. Moments later, Milner played a perfect through ball to Sadio Mané, whose shot stung the palms of Kasper Schmeichel. It summed up Milner’s night: the captain later swung in a corner for Roberto Firmino to score, having spent the first half repelling Leicester attacks. Brendan Rodgers had targeted Milner as a weak spot; “I would as well” was Milner’s typically modest response after the game. Jürgen Klopp was keen to highlight Milner’s “really special” performance in two positions in his patchwork team; the 34-year-old’s versatility and resilience were symbolic of a Liverpool display that will leave their title rivals deflated.

[/article]

I dont we need to unearth another CM from somewhere. My understanding is that Thiago is back in contention and just missed the weekend because of lack of sharpness. Ox is also back in training and isnt far off and Henderson was more of a precautionary move to not aggravate any issues.

That said its possible none of the above will be risked for Atalanta. So its possible we may see a midfield of Jones Gini and Milner

What a message to send to the rest of the league, even without Trent, Salah, Van Dijk, Henderson, Gomez we will still snot you.

Robbo was different yesterday. I'm wondering if captaining his national team to a successful qualification process for the Euros has given him some sort of confidence boost.

I know he never really lacked confidence but he always appeared to me to be still a bit in awe of some of his teammates. Yesterday he had an authoritative air about him that I haven't noticed before. Hard to believe but maybe we've yet to see the best of Robbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom