• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Henderson to City

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would be very hard pushed to get 30 million witth 12 months left.. very hard pushed..

Given in 6 months he can sign an pre contact agreement with any club

Perhaps but a few years ago they paid 25M for Nasri who only had a year left. We can but try I suppose.

Link?

They were after Wilshere in yesterdays news round.

Henderson said just a week ago that he wants to stay at Anfield for the long term. Cant see him moving tbh.

Apparently one of the papers this morning is saying they want Wilshere *and* Hendo. As a player you'd have to consider it, though I'd be a bit worried about the possibility of going there and then seeing my career waste away on the bench.

Incidentally there are also suggestions they're after Rafa to replace Pellegrini.

I think that's it Mark, we can offer those players as much money as anyone else.

What we can't offer them is a good team to play in, we can make promises but our transfer dealings for the last decade scream mediocrity.

If you were Henderson would you commit to a club who hasn't a fucking notion how to go and fill out a squad around you?

I'd be gone

Yeah, and you add in that they look at it from the view point that, at their age, they have (say) 5-7 years at the top of their game, they are going to think about whether they can wait around. I just can't be doing with the "we're the new Spurs/Arsenal" hysterics.

We're the same as every other big club that doesn't have the muscle of the financial giants. That's alot of clubs.

Apparently one of the papers this morning is saying they want Wilshere *and* Hendo. As a player you'd have to consider it, though I'd be a bit worried about the possibility of going there and then seeing my career waste away on the bench.

Incidentally there are also suggestions they're after Rafa to replace Pellegrini.

Yeah, you would be mad not to consider it. But in the end I think he'll want to stay and captain this team.
But if City promises him a starting position with Yaya going it might change his mind. I dont think so though.

Yeah, and you add in that they look at it from the view point that, at their age, they have (say) 5-7 years at the top of their game, they are going to think about whether they can wait around. I just can't be doing with the "we're the new Spurs/Arsenal" hysterics.

We're the same as every other big club that doesn't have the muscle of the financial giants. That's alot of clubs.

Yup.

We can either sit around and moan about it or figure a way to beat them anyway.

As I see it, the owners are doing what they can - we've spent as much as we could within FFP rules, the stadium improvements are underway.

We're pimping ourselves out to every company possible, so we're doing all we can commercially right now.

We seem to be developing a few players with potential at the minute.

But i still don't think we know how to value the players we have and no idea how to project what a player will do for us. And until we sort that out, I think our top players will look for ways out rather than have the miserable end to his career thay Gerrard did.

Yes, because qualifying for the CL and finishing second really helped our cause with Suarez. It's nothing to do with CL football, it's about money and being at a club that is more likely to sustain success, due to having more money.

So we're Spurs now? The only people turning us into Spurs are fickle fans, cf the ones who wanted Rodgers out in October.
The point I making.. The increased revenue brought in can give these clubs more power in the transfer market.. They have the finances and the pull of champions league football to cherry pick who ever they want..

We may be able to match Henderson's wages with other clubs, but can we sustain it long term without Champions league football season after season? .. Simple answer No..

Because it then creates a presedance where other players will be expected to be paid the same... Leaving less funds to buy players in order to be able to compete..

Didn't stop United spending an absolute fortune last summer.
They have far more income than we could ever dream of at present.. Because of their Global Appeal and long term sustained success

They can attract the players because of that.. We can't..

They where only out the Champs League for one Season.... Normal service resumed

We have been in the Champions League 1 season out of the last 6

They have far more income than we could ever dream of at present.. Because of their Global Appeal and long term sustained success

They where only out the Champs League for one Season.... Normal service resumed

We have been in the Champions League 1 season out of the last 6
You said the pull of the Champions league gives them the power to cherry pick who they want.
The pull of the Champions league is overrated.
It's 99% about money.
Agents will always advise players to go where they'll be payed the most money.
And the players are so stupid and fickle that they'll believe the bullshit that the agent is selling to them.
Shit loads of Arsenal players jumped ship to City whilst Arsenal were playing Champions league and City weren't.
It's about money.

You said the pull of the Champions league gives them the power to cherry pick who they want.
It's 99% about money.
And the players are so stupid and fickle that they'll believe the bullshit that the agent is selling to them.
Shit loads of Arsenal players jumped ship to City whilst Arsenal were playing Champions league and City weren't.
It's about money.
Sustained success and continual Champions League qualification allows that.

Arsenal is a different case.. hadn't won anything for years and continued to be conservative of recruitment of players due to financing and paying off the new Stadium.

There finances are in order now.. Even they are buying big.. The attraction to play for Arsenal is there..

You will see them delve into the transfer market again big time in the Summer..

Sustained success and continual Champions League qualification allows that.

Arsenal is a different case.. hadn't won anything for years and continued to be conservative of recruitment of players due to financing and paying off the new Stadium.

There finances are in order now.. Even they are buying big..

You will see them delve into the transfer market again big time in the Summer..
What sustained success and continual Champions league qualification had Man City back then?

Financed by a Sheik and paid silly wages..

We now have FFP stops that.. Its kinda where I'm getting at..
My point was the pull of the Champions league is massively overrated.
It's about money these days nothing else.

My point.. with FFP Champions League monies help clubs have the finances in place to pay the wages these players want. Even more so with the now increased revenue.

I think someone posted last week.. It could be worth upto 100 mill just for getting past the group stages..

Continual Champions League Participation increases your Global Appeal and the club's commercial appeal.

Not qualifying this season will really set us back..

Our global appeal is greater than Chelsea or City despite playing fuck all in Europe over the last 6 years.

Our global appeal is greater than Chelsea or City despite playing fuck all in Europe over the last 6 years.
Chelsea have a vast global Appeal... Great buisness infastructure in terms of harboring players and commercial income. They have far better income than ourselves.. There Continual success over the last 10 to 15 years and pre FFP antics have helped to build them into an ELITE club..

Man City despite decent Commercial Income could very well be in trouble without Champs League Football under FFP

Chelsea don't really have "vast global appeal", they have connections, they have a multi billionaire owner who rubs shoulders with the richest people in the World and who is completely adept at running high end businesses and, crucially, making money. That's the difference. Global appeal will last longer, but in the short term, theirs is the more productive, which is why there's no quick fix for us and why it's stupid making bold assertions of where we're at and where we are headed.

As Rosco says and as we've known for some time, we have to be clever about it. We're getting there in many respects, but as far as buying and selling goes, we've got alot to learn, which is why we need a change in approach/personnel.

This certainly doesn't feel like a story planted by his agent to force the hand of Liverpool to pay him more, not at all.

I disagree. The top players want to be playing in the CL.

It just so happens that clubs paying ridiculous wages are either already in the CL or are pretty much certainties to be there in the very near future.

A player can go to Utd pretty safe in the knowledge that they're not going to linger about in 7th place for very long simply because they have real spending power. The same goes for the other clubs in that tier.

We've been knocking about on the fringes for the last 5 years or so without any real signs of re-establishing ourselves proper so whilst we may offer comparable wages or pretty close to them, we're simply not as attractive a proposition.

This certainly doesn't feel like a story planted by his agent to force the hand of Liverpool to pay him more, not at all.

It looks like City putting out their wish list in public. Hendo's agent doesn't seem to be going public with anything

It just so happens that clubs paying ridiculous wages are either already in the CL or are pretty much certainties to be there in the very near future.

A player can go to Utd pretty safe in the knowledge that they're not going to linger about in 7th place for very long simply because they have real spending power. The same goes for the other clubs in that tier.

We've been knocking about on the fringes for the last 5 years or so without any real signs of re-establishing ourselves proper so whilst we may offer comparable wages or pretty close to them, we're simply not as attractive a proposition.
That's exactly it.. These clubs have better bargaining powers and can still fall in line with FFP..

We have been nearly there for far too long.. We are just not as an attractive proposition anymore

Qualifying for the Champions League for a 2nd year in row would of helped to put things in the right direction.. But as it looks increasingly unlikely we are going to.. We are just confirming peoples perception of us..

Not qualifying is huge set back for a club of this magnitude.. It will be more damaging than you think..

If qualifying (or not) is the difference between a player signing for us or not then I'm perfectly fine with missing out on them.

Well Di Maria allegedly turned down PSG to join United for more cash.
I'm fairly certain Psg are far more certain to be playing Champions league every year.

Well Di Maria allegedly turned down PSG to join United for more cash.
I'm fairly certain Psg are far more certain to be playing Champions league every year.

PSG are a leaser club in a lesser league and as I said, a player can feel reasonably reassured that Utd won't stay out of the limelight for long due to their size.

It's 99% about money.
It's about money.

It's about the CL *and* money. And since for us the CL is the only way of us having really game-changing amounts of money, then for *us* it's actually entirely about the CL.

It's about the CL *and* money. And since for us the CL is the only way of us having really game-changing amounts of money, then for *us* it's actually entirely about the CL.
Well our budget last summer was mostly on the basis of selling Suarez and despite being in the Champions League we again spent nothing in January when needs must.
With us I think being in the Champions league didn't mean much this year with regards to attracting players or selling ourselves to a wider audience.
Would any of the players that we did sign turn us down if we weren't playing Champions league.
I doubt it.
I agree to the part where being consistently in the Champions league helps massively but under these owners we aren't going to be paying the wages that attracts the top stars.
We just fucked up massively in the summer despite having the lure of European football so I have no confidence in the current regime no matter how much revenue is earned.
For that reason I'm not that worried about qualifying for Europe.
It's just fucking depressing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom