• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Expectations for the season ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
It's a couple of days before the first competitive game of the season; what do you expect to see? Let's not focus on results too much here – obviously we want to win every game and every competition. But what are you excited about or perhaps fearful about this coming season? Who will be the top scorer? Who will play the most minutes in central defense next to Van Dijk? Who will disappoint? How will the opponents play against us?

One thing that might or might not affect us is the new rule on goal-kicks:

A goal-kick is no longer required to leave the penalty area before a teammate touches the ball, meaning once the goalkeeper touches the ball for the kick, it is immediately considered in play. Opponents must remain outside the penalty area when a goal-kick takes place.

In theory this could help possession-based teams like Man City and hurt pressing teams like us, although seeing this in action in a few pre-season games, it still looks like there will be plenty of opportunities to win the ball high. Like here, despite Conte's Inter managing to play out the ball very nicely:

Overall, I think Klopp will try to marry the patient approach from the first half of last season and the aggressive approach we saw in the Spring – a great team needs to be able to go from one mode to another at will. I expect to see some kind of "hybrid" 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation where one morphs into the other depending on the game situation.

For individual players, I expect a stronger season from Salah and especially Firmino – they did not have enough rest to start getting rusty and should hit the ground running; however I'm worried if they will run out of gas by the end. Ox is the big X-factor – his knee won't regain full range of motion until at least next season, can he cope and still find the kind of form he was in pre-injury? Big expectations on Keita and Fabinho – both should be fully settled by now and deliver a full season of strong performances. I wonder how Hendo will fare in his new advanced position – there is a lot of competition for that spot, but if he could sustain anything close to his offensive production since the Southampton game (1 goal and 5 assists in the last 11 games of the season), he will take some shifting.

I think Trent will decisively win the assist competition with Robbo this time and will chip in with a few goals as well – I actually worry about Robbo regressing a bit, while Trent will surely improve compared to last year when he didn't hit great form until the last couple of months or so. Finally, I really hope Alisson and VVD will continue performing at their world-class levels and won't reveal any hidden weaknesses – it will be harder for them because every opponent will now study their games intensely.

EA6wTcZVAAIwszV

EA6wTcdU4AQbZfA

Bring on the season!

Last edited:
I don't think Robbo will regress, he probably has a lower ceiling than TAA, as the latter could go on to be a really good attacker/midfielder, with his sheer technical ability and eye for both a good pass and cross, but I see Robbo as a natural replacement for Milner in terms of workrate, rugged quality and what he brings to the team ethic.

Pros:

We have the same team, continuity serves teams well and whereas others might be bedding players in, we already have a great understanding.

Cons:

No new player to freshen up the squad, same worries about a major injury impact, limited resources in key positions. Firmino was a worry for me at times last season, I don't think he was as good as the season before and I think a barren spell again from him could raise question marks about whether we need to start looking for an understudy who can come in. Fingers crossed that Brewster and Origi bridge that gap - I'm really excited about Brewster tbf, so he's as close as we get to a new signing to be excited about.

Last edited:
Btw, my two teams would be:

--------------------Allison----------------------
Trent----Gomez--Van Dijk----Robertson
-----------------Fabinho-----------------------
---------Henderson----Wijnaldum---------
Salah-----------Firmino-----------Mane---

That maybe lacks some quality in the middle, so Ox, Shaqiri or Keita could easily step in, as could Milner.

-------------------Mignolet---------------------
Gomez----Matip------Lovren----Hoever-
------------------Lallana-----------------------
----------- Milner------Keita------------------
--AOC---------Origi-----------Shaqiri-------

With Brewster obviously being the ace in the pack and then you have three extremely versatile players in Milner, Hoever and Gomez who can cover a number of positions and perhaps negate that need to purchase back-up fullbacks.

I'm expecting more of the same really. We haven't strengthened, which is a shame, but we haven't lost anybody either, which is what normally happens to us immediately after a good season so I'm going to say the cup is half full. These players all know exactly what Klopp expects from them and between Keita and the returning Ox we now have genuinely strong attacking midfield options to go along with a front three we know is the envy of pretty much any team in Europe.

I'm a bit worried about Robbo. We ran him into the ground last season, and we haven't bought anybody to cover that position. It's fine saying we have Larouci, Lewis, or Hoever, but that means nothing if Klopp doesn't trust them to play in significant games if necessary. I expect TAA to just get better and better, and we might see a few more goals from him too.

It’s interesting that despite not buying any first-team players so far, we have quite a few who were not there at the start of last season, due to either injury, being on loan or at U23s or needing time for adaptation:
  • Ox
  • Lallana
  • Brewster
  • Wilson
  • Fabinho (took half a season to get going)
  • Keita (started the first few games, but then struggled like Fabinho)
  • Origi (didn’t start playing until 2nd half of the season)
  • Hoever

This is our “you don’t win anything with kids” season. Brewster and Elliott will get more and more game time as the season goes on.

Opponents: I think most teams will fear us, we didnt win the league but we won so many games as to make it irrelevant from an opponents persepctive, we were simply far too good for most sides. I hope we can carry that fear factor on, I expect us to play with more confidence due to being a very settled side and the shine from the CL medals still hanging around the lads necks.

Biggest impact: I see generally in the league is the number of penalties will go through the roof with VAR being introduced. There will be a wild card element until defenders adapt and hopefully having experienced in in CL we will be ahead of the curve. It should mean more goals for Salah/Milner.

Most looking forward to: seeing how the going kids do, Klopp has kept his wallet closed for a reason so hes putting his faith in these guys. Brewster, Wilson, Hoever, Elliot somebody will take their chance and become a star.

Top scorer: Mo, number of pens will keep him ahead of Mané

VvDs dance partner of choice: Matip

Biggest worry: Burnout for Mané and Salah

Biggest disappointment: Ox, I think he may have reached the point physically, like Sturridge and Torres did, where hes simply not the same player anymore.

• Ox
  • Lallana
  • Brewster
  • Wilson
  • Fabinho (took half a season to get going)
  • Keita (started the first few games, but then struggled like Fabinho)
  • Origi (didn’t start playing until 2nd half of the season)
  • Hoever

It's fine saying we have Larouci, Lewis, or Hoever, but that means nothing if Klopp doesn't trust them to play in significant games if necessary.

Like the fact you keep ending your lists or examples with "Hoever".
"Whoever".

Haha

Well I think most of my worries have been covered. Remember the days when we were always missing a certain player in the starting XI, for instance a winger during Benitez days, or a left back during Rodgers days or a DM during Klopps time. We finally have a perfect starting XI, imo.
What I'm trying to get to is that our backup XI is lacking. It's obvious that we lack a back up left back. Our backup DM is out on loan. We have no real replacement for Firmino, Salah or Mane. I'm talking someone in the same mould. Replacing one of them requires an adjustment of the lineup.
My expectations?
I expect that we compete in all competitions. I expect that Klopp realises that we need a quality attacker in the team.
I think this season is going to be a whole lot tougher than last season. We can't afford injuries to certain key players because imo we don't have adequate replacements.

I also fully expect Brewster to come on at Wembley as a 60th minute sub, wearing a CL medal, and bang in the winner on 85.

Spurs last year didn't buy anyone and did brilliantly, until March, and then won 2 of their last 12 games.

This is my fear, especially so when you factor in the stupid late CL final, the ridiculous nations league thing, the Copa America and the AFCON.

Try to win the world club cup, because everyone will be fucked by Feb.

We have a bigger squad then Spurs though, and its possible to sign someone in January.

But yeah, should have signed 1-2 first team players this summer.

If we do not sign anyone we would do very well to maintain last seasons form / performances. Spurs lost 13 games last season. It’s not something to aspire to

Both City and ourselves are going to drop more points vs. other Top 6 teams and they will be a LOT closer than last season. United are buying some decent players, Arsenal and Spurs have strengthened enough to have better seasons than last and Chelsea, with the loss of Hazard, maybe the only ones going backwards.

I am VERY worried about our front line and injuries (esp. after the lack of real rest all three have suffered). We don't have suitable cover and any long term injury will hurt us more than say City, because they have such a deep squad. I'm a little bit less worried about FB cover. Yet again I can see us regretting not strengthening when we were within a step or two of the title.

I'm not sure what it is but I don't have a good feeling about the coming season. I'm Hal-style worried.

If we do not sign anyone we would do very well to maintain last seasons form / performances. Spurs lost 13 games last season. It’s not something to aspire to

Who said anything about aspiring to be like Spurs?

We want to win the fucking league, Spurs are irrelevant.

Both City and ourselves are going to drop more points vs. other Top 6 teams and they will be a LOT closer than last season. United are buying some decent players, Arsenal and Spurs have strengthened enough to have better seasons than last and Chelsea, with the loss of Hazard, maybe the only ones going backwards.

I am VERY worried about our front line and injuries (esp. after the lack of real rest all three have suffered). We don't have suitable cover and any long term injury will hurt us more than say City, because they have such a deep squad. I'm a little bit less worried about FB cover. Yet again I can see us regretting not strengthening when we were within a step or two of the title.

I'm not sure what it is but I don't have a good feeling about the coming season. I'm Hal-style worried.

I think I'm in the same place. Worried.

On the flip side we now have experience of a title run in and playing high pressure games. plus the Barca comeback would surely give the team belief they can do anything

I think this is the season we win a domestic trophy, and continue to be in a league of two at the top, albeit it chasing City.

Opponents: will be shit scared of us. Even more will sit back against us this year.

Biggest impact: Brewster. Keita. Possibly Elliot.

Top scorer: Mo.

Biggest worry: Burnout for the front three.

Biggest disappointment: After Madrid, I'm not expecting to feel disappointed about anything until 2020 or 2021 ... 🙂

I honestly just find it weird that we haven't strengthened the attack. It seems like a glaring issue to most people I talk to.

We basically have no cover for the front 3, and all of them have been playing international football this summer. I don't get it. Unless Brewster suddenly steps up in a way he didn't at all in preseason, we're unbelievably vulnerable.

Yeah I'm not positive about this season. That's no surprise, of course, but I think within reason for once.

I didn't think we'd do as well as last season even if we strengthened because we were phenomenal and it would be difficult to expect that again.

But the fact that we still have the same squad with the same need for cover, but with more games and a hectic summer has me worried. We should still get top 4, but I don't think we'll challenge for the league.

3rd or 4th for me. Euro super cup win and club world championship or whatever it's called.

We have a whole bunch of new talent to bed in... Wilson, Brewster, Elliot - Gomez and Ox back from injury.

Our amazing first team is still together, which is amazing. Sow the league up by April after Pep quits because we bum them 6-0 home and away. Easy

We have Shaqiri, Ox and Keita who all didn't play much last season. I don't like to use the phrase "like a new signing" but it is quite apt here.

I would have loved another fb, and, Ziyech. But at the same time we have to give our youths a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom