• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Blow your kone trumpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trawled through the internet to see the views of Bundesliga / Borussia Monchengladbach fans.

The consensus seems to be:

• young and talented, full of energy
  • raw as sashimi.
  • no spatial awareness and no football IQ
  • Takes too many risks and loses the ball a LOT
  • Loves to dribble and is good at it.
  • Loves to dribble....in his own penalty area, and loses it
  • They are super eager to sell him because the club needs funds and he's their most talented and sellable asset
  • They are amazed that English clubs would pay more than 30 million euros for him. They're desperate to sell him before the price drops.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I don't think this boy is not the answer. He's the French Adama Troare / the German St Maximillian.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him to Brentford or Wolves. or back to BM. Otherwise, I'd rather play Tyler Morton.

Trawled through the internet to see the views of Bundesliga / Borussia Monchengladbach fans.

The consensus seems to be:

• young and talented, full of energy
  • raw as sashimi.
  • no spatial awareness and no football IQ
  • Takes too many risks and loses the ball a LOT
  • Loves to dribble and is good at it.
  • Loves to dribble....in his own penalty area, and loses it
  • They are super eager to sell him because the club needs funds and he's their most talented and sellable asset
  • They are amazed that English clubs would pay more than 30 million euros for him. They're desperate to sell him before the price drops.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I don't think this boy is not the answer. He's the French Adama Troare / the German St Maximillian.

Maybe we could buy him and loan him to Brentford or Wolves. or back to BM. Otherwise, I'd rather play Tyler Morton.
But other than that, he's top class? Bring him home.

He is young, that can be taught and Klopp I would imagine would love to coach again a fresh set of midfielders.

Big factor would be also the midfield combo he would likely play which should help with at LFC.

I have’t seen much of Kone but since start of this season I would take anyone with energy and athletism to get around so happy to go with it.

Would be interesting if we get three midfielders whom potentially are all starters all in one go.
I would imagine it would only ever be 2 of them whom would start as 3 in same area together starting is unheard of for Klopp on opening day of the season.

25-45m is a sweet spot for a Klopp buy. He regularly improves pretty much every player he’s bought or inherited in that category.

If we get Kone, Klopp will improve him.

Not if h's always injured (a risk with this one).

Kone, Thuram, Ali Mac, Fabs, Hendo, Spanish Steve, CJ and Thiago
If we leave out Thiago that still leaves 7 MFs and then you have Trent playing in the inverted RB. I hope I am not going to jinx this, but having 8 players to choose from will allow Klopp to rotate more. Other than Salah, our attack gets rotated.
Kone and Thuram, gives us penetration from the middle

You can throw Elliot in to that mix - but I reckon it’ll be 2 from Kone, Thuram & Mac Allister - not all 3.

25-45m is a sweet spot for a Klopp buy. He regularly improves pretty much every player he’s bought or inherited in that category.

If we get Kone, Klopp will improve him.

200w.gif

200w.webp

Kone is super cheap though so why not. Reckon 25 million could land him.

Maybe he is a third option if we can get him cheap - that would make him a reasonable Kieta replacement, I guess.

Watched one of his highlight videos as I’m on holiday and it was a nice use of time… he was doing cruyff turns in his own box. Lunges into tackles a lot, and like Thuram seems to try to knock the ball past players and chase them to get into the end of it.

I’m skeptical whether he’s a fit for out model or any kind of improvement on Jones or Badger. However i also acknowledge we put ourselves in the position of needing quantity of CM signings, not just quality. Therefore at 20-25m it might be appealing.

Watched one of his highlight videos as I’m on holiday and it was a nice use of time… he was doing cruyff turns in his own box. Lunges into tackles a lot, and like Thuram seems to try to knock the ball past players and chase them to get into the end of it.

I’m skeptical whether he’s a fit for out model or any kind of improvement on Jones or Badger. However i also acknowledge we put ourselves in the position of needing quantity of CM signings, not just quality. Therefore at 20-25m it might be appealing.

One of the toughest things I find to guess is if a players dribbling ability in other leagues transfer to the premier league. I remember Arsenal paying 70 million plus for Nicholas Pepe whose youtube reels looked impressive. He could barely go past a defender here in the PL. Same for Sancho. There is our own Keita who was going past players like Messi in the Bundesliga highlight reels. I do agree with you that players who rely on knocking ball past defenders and using their physique and pace to chase them rarely work in the premier league.

Once you pointed those out, I watched youtube highlight reels of both Thuram and Kone and have the same worries as you. But at the same time, they are powerful runners, have good physique and look pretty comfortable on the ball. Klopp can work with those and improve them. Also, now the plan might be try to find the best available midfield for 100-120 million with favorable payment terms, get into the CL spots and then chase players with gold dust as a replacement for Thiago, Fabs, etc.

The thing i want to see is how they are off the ball but that isn’t going to make for an exciting highlight video. I trust our scouts so if they see these players working I’m all for seeing 2 or 3 of Alex Mac, Kone & Thuram joining our team

Problem is, we've not got the budget to buy ready made superstars. We need to buy smart and let klopp work his magic. I've no doubt thuram and/or kone would work out and be more sensible with possession and patrol appropriately

Problem is, we've not got the budget to buy ready made superstars. We need to buy smart and let klopp work his magic. I've no doubt thuram and/or kone would work out and be more sensible with possession and patrol appropriately
That's the crux of it really. The only way we're going to be able to compete with the likes of Man City (and the only way we've able to do that in recent years) is by turning potential into superstars. I think it's telling that the midfielders we're being linked with are all quite raw, but have the basic fundamentals alongside athletic prowess. Our midfield has been outworked and outrun all season, so it needs energy. These look like the kind of rough gems that Klopp can polish up nicely.

Last edited:
That's they crux of it really. The only way we're going to be able to compete with the likes of Man City (and the only way we've able to do that in recent years) is by turning potential into superstars. I think it's telling that the midfielders we're being linked with are all quite raw, but have the basic fundamentals alongside athletic prowess. Our midfield has been outworked and outrun all season, so it needs energy. These look like the kind of rough gems that Klopp can polish up nicely.

The thing that worries me is “raw” - Nunez is raw - and that’s been a challenge.

“Raw” appears to be a euphemism for “underwhelming” these days.

I’d dread a midfield of “raw” players.

That’s not to say you’re wrong, or that direction isn’t the way - but I’d like “polished under the radar players” like Fabs, Robbo, Jota, Gakpo that can slot right in (ok Fabs & Robbo took 6 months), not Donkey-Brain 2.0.

That's they crux of it really. The only way we're going to be able to compete with the likes of Man City (and the only way we've able to do that in recent years) is by turning potential into superstars. I think it's telling that the midfielders we're being linked with are all quite raw, but have the basic fundamentals alongside athletic prowess. Our midfield has been outworked and outrun all season, so it needs energy. These look like the kind of rough gems that Klopp can polish up nicely.

Again this is us making up shit about City, be honest with yourselves, they took a risk on that Argentinian, they bought a defender relegated with Bournemouth, they bought some defender for 17M in last winter transfer window, and they go them trained up to play their system. I am certain that Klopp can work his magic on the players that we buy, they just got to be clever enough.

The thing that worries me is “raw” - Nunez is raw - and that’s been a challenge.

“Raw” appears to be a euphemism for “underwhelming” these days.

I’d dread a midfield of “raw” players.

That’s not to say you’re wrong, or that direction isn’t the way - but I’d like “polished under the radar players” like Fabs, Robbo, Jota, Gakpo that can slot right in (ok Fabs & Robbo took 6 months), not Donkey-Brain 2.0.
I know what you mean, but I think we could split hairs over the level of 'rawness'. These aren't players with no ability - they just have some fixable flaws and need a guiding hand. I don't expect them all to hit the ground running, but I think we have to face facts - we've allowed ourselves to become a full scale project and it's going to take some time and patience to get us competing again.

I know what you mean, but I think we could split hairs over the level of 'rawness'. These aren't players with no ability - they just have some fixable flaws and need a guiding hand. I don't expect them all to hit the ground running, but I think we have to face facts - we've allowed ourselves to become a full scale project and it's going to take some time and patience to get us competing again.

Yep - that’s fair.

I agree - somewhere, for sone reason this “Moneyball” project went off the rails.

I totally get @Judge Jules position that we should buy absolute quality and not settle for substandard players - but somewhere along the line the balance that needs to be struck got chucked out.

We need to be buying both, within constraints and finding ways to make it work.

Whaddya know? Jorge Schmadtke's son has just been appointed Sporting Director at (you've guessed it) Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Yep - that’s fair.

I agree - somewhere, for sone reason this “Moneyball” project went off the rails.

I totally get @Judge Jules position that we should buy absolute quality and not settle for substandard players - but somewhere along the line the balance that needs to be struck got chucked out.

We need to be buying both, within constraints and finding ways to make it work.

I think there is a problem of actually identifying players that are already "made" - most of the players we need now are projects, the ones that are not are way too high regarding price, like silly fucking shit money. Take Caicedo for instance - every pundit thinks he will make us title challengers and he has it all, but the more I see of him while playing for Brighton - I see loads of flaws and one very concerning thing for a Klopp midfield - he has problems against the bigger type of midfielders, and can easily be bullied. No way is he worth £90M, and in my view we have actually got the right player from them in Alexis. I think we are buying right if the links are to be believed. Lets not forget that VVD was never the best when we bought him in, he was part of that defense that conceded 6 goals against us in the league cup. The only real quality we have bought under Klopp in terms of top of the range players were Alisson and Thiago - the later only coz he was cheap, but every other player became top under Klopp.

The thing i want to see is how they are off the ball but that isn’t going to make for an exciting highlight video. I trust our scouts so if they see these players working I’m all for seeing 2 or 3 of Alex Mac, Kone & Thuram joining our team

I think Kone is a very energetic off-the-ball runner, he could potentially replace Hendo in that aspect, although on the ball he is a polar opposite - dribbles at every opportunity rather than tries to get rid of it in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom