• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

It’s a big change though - entire new coaching team plus potentially new tactical set up - lots of potential for it to go tits up.

And the new set up will also have the uneviable task of planning for life after Salah and VVD (hopefully not right off the bat).

And the new set up will also have the uneviable task of planning for life after Salah and VVD (hopefully not right off the bat).
Providing they are given the backing, and they get the higher up appointments right, I'm sure they're replaceable. Maybe not as talismanic, but certainly replaceable

I derided our youth system in the past but part of Klopp's genius is he can see much further than fans, and I am sure it was he who insisted on new training grounds and its set-up.
Trent, Jones, Quansah and now Bradley will save the club 10's of millions. There's plenty more that are just waiting to break through.
The priority for the new team (SD+Manager) isn't who to buy but its who to keep or sell.
Salah, VVD, Robbo, Ali and Trent all are coming towards the end of their contract and sorting those out is priority. Gomez and Bradley have addressed the wb positions.
Morton has had an impressive time at Hull, and deserves a chance to prove himself in the first team. Hypothetically if all those players mentioned above renew including Salah, the only position that would need addressing is a CB.
Sorry @moron unless there's departures, there isn't much I would sell

*falls off chair*

Is this the end of days????

Providing they are given the backing, and they get the higher up appointments right, I'm sure they're replaceable. Maybe not as talismanic, but certainly replaceable

It’s not that that worries me - the squad’s in good nick - doesn’t need major work, whoever comes in doesn’t need to do much re-building.

What worries me is a new back room team, a new coaching team with their own methods and a new manager with new tactics, team set up, etc.

Not only that, but they’re walking into a league where there’s zero margin for error even to stay in the top 4.

All it takes is a couple of underwhelming signings that aren’t quite good enough and a new coaching team that can’t quite get the team playing the way they want because they can’t get their ideas to stick in training.

Of course, the opposite could happen - but I’m erring on the side of cautious trepidation at the moment.

... part of Klopp's genius is he can see much further than fans...
And yet, time after time, most of this forum completely forget this simple & demonstrable observation by getting on the backs of players in whom Klopp sees a budding superstar and the rest of us can't look further than the last 5 minutes on the pitch when a pass was misplaced.

*falls off chair*

Is this the end of days????
I meant buy... Endo has worked out better than I'd hope, I gave up on him too early, even though I said it would take till Jan to see the better side of him.
If Alonso in his first season he can take BL from 17th to 6th and then to an unbeaten run in all domestic comps and top of the table, I am going to say we should be challenging again next year

Last edited:
I derided our youth system in the past but part of Klopp's genius is he can see much further than fans, and I am sure it was he who insisted on new training grounds and its set-up.
Trent, Jones, Quansah and now Bradley will save the club 10's of millions. There's plenty more that are just waiting to break through.
The priority for the new team (SD+Manager) isn't who to buy but its who to keep or sell.
Salah, VVD, Robbo, Ali and Trent all are coming towards the end of their contract and sorting those out is priority. Gomez and Bradley have addressed the wb positions.
Morton has had an impressive time at Hull, and deserves a chance to prove himself in the first team. Hypothetically if all those players mentioned above renew including Salah, the only position that would need addressing is a CB.
Sorry @moron unless there's departures, there isn't much I would buy
CB and a Thiago replacement. And that's assuming no one else is moved on. Robbo is on his last legs (1-2 seasons) but VvD could easily go another 2-3 seasons, signing him to a new contract more a worry than him suddenly going to pot.

I don't think that's the best we can hope for, I think we should have the expectancy that whoever comes in will at least maintain CL for the first couple of seasons.

As much as we've competed and lost sometimes by a small margin, I also think we could have decreased those margins if we'd made one or two smart/different decisions, particularly around Trent. I think we've lost or dropped points in many decisive, big games because we've been naive over issues that were apparent for a long time. For all our excellent blood and thunder football, we were outfoxed a few times by Madrid for instance in exactly the same way. We were picked off, too open, not clever enough. Same with Trent, for all his quality and ability, the flaws in his game/role have never really fully been rectified and it's most noticeable and damaging in the big games, that's not to say he hasn't been THE difference in big games too, but there are times when particular opponents have the measure of him and we haven't always had an answer (Arsenal and United have repeatedly punished him).

A few tweaks here and there and not a complete overhaul can have a massive positive effect.

I think pinning down dropping points in big games or losing finals sorely to Trent is too simplistic.

I mean there are other factors. How many goals have Mo, Mane or Bobby scored in those finals for instance? I don't think that trio has even played well in a final with the exception of the first match against Real perhaps.

So like the first jump scene in the Matrix I’m excited to see what happens this evening in Germany. A BL win would be beyond massive. He would indeed become the new messiah, but what would a draw/loss mean?

CB and a Thiago replacement. And that's assuming no one else is moved on. Robbo is on his last legs (1-2 seasons) but VvD could easily go another 2-3 seasons, signing him to a new contract more a worry than him suddenly going to pot.
But don't we already have a bunch of Thiago replacements?
Badger, little Mac, Morty, Clark jr, Trent?

Xhaka is immense in this league
To be honest, he was never an average or bad player. Last season we saw what he could be under the right guidance, but also whenever I have watched him play for the Swiss national side he is a key player for them. I reckon Klopp would have got the best out of a player like him.

Back
Top Bottom