• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Just the other day i was thinking i hope we don’t sign any Leverkusen players to sabotage Xabi but also given his current trajectory it’s unlikely he won’t be at a bigger club by the time Klopp moves on. That thinking aged quickly.

Leverkusen dropped points today against BMG.
I missed the game but I read that they didn't play well at all.

Think he needs to do an interview and announce he is leaving at the end of the season for private reasons "like he has unfinished business in the UK". Then give the speech about how the players need to fight and try and win everything they are involved in to make it count etc. Let's see how well that turns out.

I don't think Alonso is a known quantity at all, and I Iove the man. It's a massive risk I'd rather we didn't take.

I don't think Alonso is a known quantity at all, and I Iove the man. It's a massive risk I'd rather we didn't take.
Yeah I was absolutely certain he was the right choice yesterday, I'm down to 80% today. Not because Leverkusen lost, mainly because I realised that Xabi is very inexperienced.

Last edited:
It's interesting how Arteta (same age group, young coach, Spaniard), was thrust into it at Arsenal and was given alot of backing, both in time and financially. Nobody really mentioned the job being too big for him back then even though he was previously only an assistant manager. Considering he has been pitting up against Klopp's and Guardiola's team, he hadn't done too badly.

Yet, there are murmurs of Alonso being "too inexperienced" for the job in Liverpool which is strange. It's not as if he is coming to repair a severely broken ship, he will be taking over the league champions of 23/24.

There has to be some basis for hiring managers though, and track record is a good one.

There isn't a right candidate. This is as poisoned a chalice as it was when Ferguson left. The teams in a better state than he left united though.

Alonso makes sense, as a former player, he'll get more time than anyone else would if it goes wrong

XG of 2.87 - you've got to remember that Leverkusen players will have seen the rumours too. They'll also be impacted.

There isn't a right candidate. This is as poisoned a chalice as it was when Ferguson left. The teams in a better state than he left united though.

Alonso makes sense, as a former player, he'll get more time than anyone else would if it goes wrong

In some ways I agree. Which is why I'd love Alonso to be given it. He'd already have a lot of goodwill in the bank.

Experience and actually winning something are the 2 boxes Xabi doesn’t tick as a manager abd they’re big boxes.

I hope his PowerPoint presentation skillz are at least as good as BRodgers.

Experience and actually winning something are the 2 boxes Xabi doesn’t tick as a manager abd they’re big boxes.

I hope his PowerPoint presentation skillz are at least as good as BRodgers.

That could change after this season.. Still in three competitions.

That could change after this season.. Still in three competitions.

Oh it absolutely could, or he could bottle it.

I just have a feeling it’s a little early for him to be taking on one of the biggest Club Management jobs in football - but he could very well be “the one”.

It's interesting how Arteta (same age group, young coach, Spaniard), was thrust into it at Arsenal and was given alot of backing, both in time and financially. Nobody really mentioned the job being too big for him back then even though he was previously only an assistant manager. Considering he has been pitting up against Klopp's and Guardiola's team, he hadn't done too badly.

Yet, there are murmurs of Alonso being "too inexperienced" for the job in Liverpool which is strange. It's not as if he is coming to repair a severely broken ship, he will be taking over the league champions of 23/24.

I do think Alonso is the man for the job but i do also think Arteta had a huge advantage in shadowing / observing / learning from the top manager in the league he would go on to compete in with Arsenal. Arteta also came very close to the sack at one stage.

But like you say the ships not broken but knowing the waters might give an edge to someone like De Zerbi

Honestly, my biggest problem with Xabi getting it is that he is this great ex-player. I'm always wary of these sentimental attachments - it just makes me cringe a bit, I suppose. And I actually think it makes it harder for them too - it's an added pressure to not let down the fans.

I mean I'm fine with him if he's the best candidate, but if I'm honest I'd just prefer it if the best candidate wasn't also the happy ending to some twee fairy tale.

There has to be some basis for hiring managers though, and track record is a good one.
Yet time and time again we've seen that fail. Look at any top manager and the club they moved to after success at the previpous club. Tons of failures.

IMHO the most important aspects of appointing our new manager are not just success but also a positive and entertaining style of play (and if it will suit our current complement), his man management, not requiring a massive budget, ability to bring through youngsters and last but not least by any means ... an affinity with the club.

Yet time and time again we've seen that fail. Look at any top manager and the club they moved to after success at the previpous club. Tons of failures.

IMHO the most important aspects of appointing our new manager are not just success but also a positive and entertaining style of play (and if it will suit our current complement), his man management, not requiring a massive budget, ability to bring through youngsters and last but not least by any means ... an affinity with the club.

Yeah but most of those are hard to tell unless there is a track record to compare it against. It does sound a bit like a thought process that would result in a big club hiring Stevie Gerrard or Gary Neville

Speaking of which, though, what is Xabi's man managememt like?

De Zerbi's players speak glowingly of him. I havent read much about Alonso yet( I presume it's out there, just in German)

The inexperienced Guardiola at Barca and the inexperienced Zidane at Madrid did better than most of the experienced ones. I’d be happy for Xabi to give it a go.
The managers that have transitioned well from being top players mostly seem to be the ones that showed absolute intelligence on the pitch, while those that seemed to outperform others on pure instinct tend to be shite as manager.
Xabi’s definitely the former, so I’ve got high hopes.

Yeah I was absolutely certain he was the right choice yesterday, I'm down to 80% today. Not because Leverkusen lost, mainly because I realised that Xabi is very inexperienced.
They drew ... but should have won. It happens.

Yeah but most of those are hard to tell unless there is a track record to compare it against. It does sound a bit like a thought process that would result in a big club hiring Stevie Gerrard or Gary Neville
Haha not on your life.

Back
Top Bottom