• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Liverpool - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Si Senor ! He's great Bobby, isn't he ? :) :)

Good side Wolves. Efficient press, and good at dealing with the high balls we tried to counter it with. As someone said, they're also very good technically in midfield, and quick up front.

We seemed to give the ball away a lot second half. Easier said than done maybe, but I'd have liked us to play keepy-ball a bit more.

Is it really down to rest though? Every player is going to have that odd game where they face a real battle. Trent struggled today, it happens. Traore has murdered some great teams and players this season.

Perhaps. But he's looked a bit off his best for a while now. Still very good, mind, but I would feel a lot better if we had some options there. Traore offers a different threat from most he deals with and today he couldn't quite keep up.

It's mad that we play twice in the league before city play again , we could literally be 22pts clear having played a game more before they kick off against spurs the first Sunday of Feb.

That would be massive !

Alisson 8
Trent 6.5
Joe 8
Virgil 8
Robbo 6
Hendo 9
Gini 7
Ox 6 Fab 7
Sadio 7 Minamino 6.5
Mo 7
Bobby 7.5

Well A had game and another 3 points, still unbeaten, and still 16 points clear and a game in handed, and whats even sweeter is that we are 33 point clear of Man Utd :)

Very much this.

Had we lost I'd have had no complaints about them at all. They can feel hard done by & rightly so.

They can feel like they played well enough to win on other days, but they can't feel hard done by if they are the author of their own misfortune. In a battle of who can finish limited opportunities, we edged it due to better central defenders, a better goalie, and better finishing. And our finishing wasn't good, at all.

I reckon Traore managed to cross the ball 100% of the time that he took a player on.
He’s getting stupid good. Would love to get him.

Where's @Morse with the MOM thread?

Anyway, for me:
  1. Henderson – goal, assist and another performance of grit and quality. This is shaping up to be the best season of his career.
  2. Van Dijk – I thought both CBs had an excellent game, but Virgil edges it. Put a mere mortal in there and Wolves score 3 or 4.
  3. Salah – for most of the game our only attacking threat and consistent passing outlet. Too bad he couldn't cap off his performance with a goal; he was everywhere.
Honorable mentions for Gomez and Alisson.

Last edited:
Well that was a very tough watch.

Increasingly looking like a 1-1 or even a 1-2 in the second half and then bam we do what we do best.

Find a crucial goal when needed.

Wrap Mane in wool for a couple of weeks and let’s make assault on the CL and FA Cup.

I’d be surprised if Utd don’t at least look at Nuno.

Wolves are a very accomplished side who play lovely football

I reckon Traore managed to cross the ball 100% of the time that he took a player on.
He’s getting stupid good. Would love to get him.
I was thinking that watching him. Plays equally good on either wing so would give us options to rest either Mane or Salah. It's likely Wolves would be unrealistic with regards to the fee though as without him they are clearly nowhere near as good a side. And his finishing definitely needs work - it's been his weak spot for years.

No Just a Lover ;)

There's 5% (maybe 8%) that likes you already :whistle:

ZtMRVkKKH5

Best team we've faced this season I think, in tough conditions on a cold windy night against a passionate crowd. Some great moments of control with opportunities we should have finished and some moments of Wolves being in the ascendency with moments perhaps they also should have finished. Great match. Football would be boring if the result was never in doubt. Yet again we never gave up, stayed resolute at the back and kept pushing for a winner.

Honestly, I don't think people on this forum are capable of judging this team rationally. That game was a draw all over, Wolves really unsettled us and made us uncomfortable, but only made three decent chances, and most of their attacks and possession ended up being crosses that were cleared easily. On the flip side we scored two, and had three good chances, and I'm willing to bet our xG was higher too.

No one's saying we deserved to win despite what Brendan's saying, but acting like it's a crime against football that we've taken our chances in a very close game of football, is just odd.

We took our chances that's why we won, it's the oldest cliche in football, but it always rings true.

What the fuck were you watching? They got in behind us more than any other side this year.

We got extremely lucky.

Well that was a very tough watch.

Increasingly looking like a 1-1 or even a 1-2 in the second half and then bam we do what we do best.

Find a crucial goal when needed.

Wrap Mane in wool for a couple of weeks and let’s make assault on the CL and FA Cup.

I’d be surprised if Utd don’t at least look at Nuno.

Wolves are a very accomplished side who play lovely football
You said it would be an easy win in the prematch, didn't you? Yunno, just after I said it was going to be a super tough game we'd either draw or win by the odd goal.

Best team we've faced this season I think, in tough conditions on a cold windy night against a passionate crowd. Some great moments of control with opportunities we should have finished and some moments of Wolves being in the ascendency with moments perhaps they also should have finished. Great match. Football would be boring if the result was never in doubt. Yet again we never gave up, stayed resolute at the back and kept pushing for a winner.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it-- something helped by that massive cushion I suppose. They were great, but we really responded too. You saw the lads puff out their chests and throw their shoulders back when they equalised. Rather than panicking they accepted the challenge and took it back to them.

Wolves are excellent btw, and I would seriously consider Nuno as a successor to Klopp. He's a very, very good manager.

Wolves are excellent btw, and I would seriously consider Nuno as a successor to Klopp. He's a very, very good manager.

Not a bad shout.

They're getting the right players courtesy of Mendes and whoever else behind the scenes but he's built a really good footballing side with them.

What the fuck were you watching? They got in behind us more than any other side this year.

We got extremely lucky.

'extremely lucky'?

We missed a lot of chances too.

Stop this contrarian bullshit - a draw would have been a 'fair result' (as it would have been at Anfield imo).

But 'extremely lucky'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom