• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Will.I.an

He looks like a poor mans Ronaldinho to me, i do worry about his end product, but Rukin makes a good point, look at Coutinho, different leagues, teams and managers make a huge difference, still, i wouldn't go over £22million personally, maybe £25m, certainly would be a huge signal of intent though.

Aurelio was free, Lucas £6m, Coutinho £8m, i think when it comes to Brazillians and getting value for money, we're laughing. Forgetting about Doni of course.

There's a large section of this thread that makes me think I'm missing an 'in joke'. I feel like a spaz watching the cool kids talking about sex & thinking I should go 'yer' every now & then to make it seem like I know what's happening.

There's a large section of this thread that makes me think I'm missing an 'in joke'. I feel like a spaz watching the cool kids talking about sex & thinking I should go 'yer' every now & then to make it seem like I know what's happening.

Just act natural and call him shite. That's what I do.

He looks like a poor mans Ronaldinho to me, i do worry about his end product, but Rukin makes a good point, look at Coutinho, different leagues, teams and managers make a huge difference, still, i wouldn't go over £22million personally, maybe £25m, certainly would be a huge signal of intent though.

What sort of intent does it show if we're signing a poor mans Ronaldinho for superstar money?

The intent to continue to be the stupidest club on the planet ?

What sort of intent does it show if we're signing a poor mans Ronaldinho for superstar money?

... and someone who's clearly 3r/4th/5th choice on our list of identified attacking targets. If we don't get who we "want", we should either keep hold of the money, or invest some of it in an up and coming player. Not 20 odd million.

tbh, most of his Youtube videos are shit. A lot of running around losing control of the ball and generally being very Nabil El Zahr.

Which is strange cause I remember watching the Mkhitaryan clips and thinking this guy was dynamite. (and I didn't know his name) Maybe it's the Afro. He needs the afro back.

Well, he's someone lots of clubs around Europe have been interested and courted, so the intent would be that we're serious about fourth and more, my opinion on the player doesn't change that fact.

If he moves to Spurs or Chelsea it will be what could have been all over again.
And I dont agree with the 3rd/4th choice argument either, as he just became available on the market. Having moved in January this was a no go.

The lad is quality. 30 mill is to much but hopefully we can get him for 22-25 mill.
The problem is that so many top clubs are interested that our chances are slim.

If he moves to Spurs or Chelsea it will be what could have been all over again.
And I dont agree with the 3rd/4th choice argument either, as he just became available on the market. Having moved in January this was a no go.

The lad is quality. 30 mill is to much but hopefully we can get him for 22-25 mill.
The problem is that so many top clubs are interested that our chances are slim.

Barca ? No
Madrid ? No
Italian teams ? No
German teams ? No
City ? No
Chelsea ? No
United ? No
Arsenal ? No.

It's us and Spurs as usual.

He is still in Shakhtar. I like him, but I didn't rate him as highly as Willian when they played together. I don't think they are quite in the same talent bracket.

He was one of the best Shakhtar's players in their loss to Dortmund in the CL. Should have started, probably.
Douglas Costa is pretty outrageously talented, so I don't know about that. I've seen them both, and Costa just appeared to be more direct and with more end product, unlike Willian who seemed primarily to be a showboat.

I could be wrong though. Binny to provide some stats?

Either way, I don't think he's worth 30 million. If I had to improve the attack, I'd rather add guile & vision than pace & flair. Coutinho, Sterling, Ibe, Sturridge, Suarez and Aspas seem to have the latter covered. We're desperate however for the former. Especially in midfield.

Douglas Costa is pretty outrageously talented, so I don't know about that. I've seen them both, and Costa just appeared to be more direct and with more end product, unlike Willian who seemed primarily to be a showboat.

I could be wrong though. Binny to provide some stats?

You can just ask me :) Douglas has similar goal-scoring numbers to Willian (a bit better in the league, but worse in the CL), but far less assists. I agree with you that he is a bit more direct in some ways.

Either way, I don't think he's worth 30 million. If I had to improve the attack, I'd rather add guile & vision than pace & flair. Coutinho, Sterling, Ibe, Sturridge, Suarez and Aspas seem to have the latter covered. We're desperate however for the former. Especially in midfield.

The thing is, Willian has both. Maybe the compilations are a bit misleading, they seem to focus on his dribbling and showboating and don't show his numerous assists. I wish someone made a compilation of only his assists. He has excellent vision and guile, that's what sets him apart from the showboaters - and more often than not, he makes good decisions with the ball. Just because he is fast and a good dribbler people think he is not smart - actually it's the opposite, he is smart, good at combination play and always on a lookout for his team-mates runs. For instance A LOT of Mkhitaryan's goals came from Willian's direct or secondary assists. He is a real #10, not someone who runs into blind alleys and loses the ball.

If you want to hear some criticism from me to make sure I'm not biased, I can tell you that he had a tendency to drop his intensity level at times, especially in games against weak opponents. There has been less of that in his last season or two as he has matured more, but in the beginning he could be too passive, only showing flashes of brilliance rather than going for the kill every time he has a ball. Like most Brazilians, he doesn't enjoy playing on bad pitches and on frozen ground or snow (which is pretty much 50% of games in Ukrainian league). I don't think he is lazy at all, but I would say character-wise he is closer to Ronaldinho or Kaka than to someone like Suarez, for instance.

You can just ask me :) Douglas has similar goal-scoring numbers to Willian (a bit better in the league, but worse in the CL), but far less assists. I agree with you that he is a bit more direct in some ways.

The thing is, Willian has both. Maybe the compilations are a bit misleading, they seem to focus on his dribbling and showboating and don't show his numerous assists. I wish someone made a compilation of only his assists. He has excellent vision and guile, that's what sets him apart from the showboaters - and more often than not, he makes good decisions with the ball. Just because he is fast and a good dribbler people think he is not smart - actually it's the opposite, he is smart, good at combination play and always on a lookout for his team-mates runs. For instance A LOT of Mkhitaryan's goals came from Willian's direct or secondary assists. He is a real #10, not someone who runs into blind alleys and loses the ball.

In other words, he's Coutinho with more pace.

Back
Top Bottom