• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why Leicester are title challengers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are taking Leicester and Rodgers far too lightly. They dispatched Aston Villa 4-1 away. We struggled to beat them 2-1 if I remember. They could very well turn us over as they seem to be improving with each game.
They will never reach the levels of 95+ points...

It's just not going to happen im afraid..

They have an easy game an two very tough games coming up.

It's between them and city for second..

Whoever wins that have will be favourites for 2nd..

You guys are taking Leicester and Rodgers far too lightly. They dispatched Aston Villa 4-1 away. We struggled to beat them 2-1 if I remember. They could very well turn us over as they seem to be improving with each game.

Probably true, but also it seems that far too many teams are taking them lightly, while with us - and City - they want to beat us as we're the 'best' ...

Their best defender went off injured. Look at how Bournemouth collapsed after Ake went off.

Leicester have the experience of getting over the line in a title race. I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Leicester have the experience of getting over the line in a title race. I don't see them going away anytime soon.

How many players are still there from that win? 3-4. I doubt that it makes much difference.

Leicester have a brilliant goalscorer, a very good midfield and a rock-solid defence.

Plus nobody really fancies them. Sounds familiar - and Rodgers is a better manager than Ranieri.

The key will be keeping Vardy and Maddison fit, as after those two, there isn't much goal threat; the excellent Tielemans is their next top scorer with 5

Well it’s pretty simple if they want to win the league they need to win their next 4. If they do nobody will take them lightly after Xmas.

It’s more the fact that rogers is a decent manager and after Celtic, knows what it feels like to win a league, albeit it an easier one. Leicester have already won the league once and recently, so their players are used to the pressure that comes with keeping up that level of performance until the very end.
they will easily stay top four and will challenge pretty well for the title too:

Were Spurs challengers when they were 6 pts back in Jan last year?

Well, for a start: Spurs.

And also, they had a decent run of results that had taken them into "the conversation" as you say, by getting to within a couple of wins of the top, but it lasted about a week, and they also had City AND us to contend with.

Leicester have been Top 2-3 for ages.

They have the potential to end our unbeaten run though, which will pose a serious psychological test to our resolve.

I'm not taking anything for granted because an eight point lead isn't big enough.

They have the potential to end our unbeaten run though, which will pose a serious psychological test to our resolve.

I'm not taking anything for granted because an eight point lead isn't big enough.
If they win their next 2 games then beat us on boxing day they'll be just 2 points behind us, albeit with us having a game in hand.

That will be a huge boost for them psychologically too, & obv the reverse for us.

We simply must avoid defeat to them to stop that, ideally beat them, but tbh I'd take a draw if it were offered now, the longer we can keep them at arms length the more chance they'll drop away, I think if they get within a couple of points, plus the winning run they're on, would help them push on massively.

If they win their next 2 games then beat us on boxing day they'll be just 2 points behind us, albeit with us having a game in hand.

That will be a huge boost for them psychologically too, & obv the reverse for us.

We simply must avoid defeat to them to stop that, ideally beat them, but tbh I'd take a draw if it were offered now, the longer we can keep them at arms length the more chance they'll drop away, I think if they get within a couple of points, plus the winning run they're on, would help them push on massively.

The game before us, is City away though. They can easily get a point there at this rate, but you'd expect City to soon get their shite back together.

Another one I've just seen on Twitter:

Liverpool : Pts46 P16 PPG 2.875
Leicester : Pts35 P15 PPG 2.33
Man City : Pts32 P16 PPG 2
If Liverpool's closest rivals, Leicester manage to perform at their current level, they are set to achieve 88.54 points.
In order to achieve 90 points Liverpool need just 44 points from 22 games, which is basically top 4 form.
I think PPG were one of the stats we hung unto quite dearly when our lead last season dissipated. The numbers told us City were expected to drop points and we'd take advantage of that. We did enough to fulfill the latter prediction but the former never happened, so no I'm not gonna buy into this for narrative and will wish every team directly under us are humiliated beyond ridicule until number 19 is safely in store.

Just as many pointed out how the other top sides under-performed during the season in which Leicester won the title, it is also quite a feat for a club that finished 9th and 46 points behind the Champions last season to be still 'just' 8 points behind the current leaders who are on scintillating form. It's too early to write them off. Besides, if being 'wary' keeps the team on it's toes and pushes them to seal the title as early as possible, there's no harm, right? :)

beststart.jpg

Last edited:
Just as many pointed out how the other top sides under-performed during the season in which Leicester won the title, it is also quite a feat for a club that finished 9th and 46 points behind the Champions last season to be still 'just' 8 points behind the current leaders who are on scintillating form. It's too early to write them off. Besides, if being 'wary' keeps the team on it's toes and pushes them to seal the title as early as possible, there's no harm, right? :)

View attachment 1530
Why is City's 17/18 season left out where they achieved 58 points from 20 games?
https://www.90min.com/posts/6259479...ints-after-20-games-in-the-premier-league-era

The other thing is they could well be the red herring too, allowing City to regroup quietly and go on a winning run themselves. Remember what happened last year ? 9 point lead wiped out within a few months.

We must win all our games.
I really do wish people would stop discounting games in hand when making quotes such as these.

They're a strong team, going through a purple patch at the minute... Don't see them able to remain at this pace for the majority of the rest of the season, though. Not writing them off - Just don't think they'll be able to maintain these recent levels for 20 odd more matches.

The wonderful thing about the lead that we've established is that we don't have to beat any rival's performance over the next few months... We just have to match it. Yes, Leicester are still in it, of course, as are City, but we have a 3 win lead on them, and that's if they're perfect the rest of the way. They won't be. I'm still confident that City will be closest to us, when we get to the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom