• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why Leicester are title challengers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as many pointed out how the other top sides under-performed during the season in which Leicester won the title, it is also quite a feat for a club that finished 9th and 46 points behind the Champions last season to be still 'just' 8 points behind the current leaders who are on scintillating form. It's too early to write them off. Besides, if being 'wary' keeps the team on it's toes and pushes them to seal the title as early as possible, there's no harm, right? :)

View attachment 1530

What happened to Arsenals invincible season too? Horrible list there..

To put into context.. Leicesters start is the 16th best start ever after 16 games. Which sould have made that list on 38 points.

They're a strong team, going through a purple patch at the minute... Don't see them able to remain at this pace for the majority of the rest of the season, though. Not writing them off - Just don't think they'll be able to maintain these recent levels for 20 odd more matches.

The wonderful thing about the lead that we've established is that we don't have to beat any rival's performance over the next few months... We just have to match it. Yes, Leicester are still in it, of course, as are City, but we have a 3 win lead on them, and that's if they're perfect the rest of the way. They won't be. I'm still confident that City will be closest to us, when we get to the end of the season.
No matter all this negativity or rather wishfull thinking, that Leicester side look very happy and hungry for wins. They will beat city I reckon. Unless they have injuries to Vardy and that new Turkish defender, they have enough to maintain this run of theirs.

No matter all this negativity or rather wishfull thinking, that Leicester side look very happy and hungry for wins. They will beat city I reckon. Unless they have injuries to Vardy and that new Turkish defender, they have enough to maintain this run of theirs.

So, you think that they have a couple more 9 game league win streaks in them this season?

So, you think that they have a couple more 9 game league win streaks in them this season?

I don't know that - but I am also cautious about our chances for the following away fixtures:
  • Man City,
  • Spurs
  • Leicester
  • Wolves
  • Everton
  • Arsenal
You can laugh at some of them, but I rate us as having 50% chance of winning them. Also despite taking the piss out of Ole, Klopp has yet to devise a plan to beat Man United under Ole having two attempts at it. Nothing is over yet, other than a blow to City's confidence right now - who we all agree can possibly go on a long unbeaten run. The other point to consider is that teams are more open when they play Leicester compared to the way they will play against us, which gives Leicester more than enough chance of winning those games.

I don't know that - but I am also cautious about our chances for the following away fixtures:
  • Man City,
  • Spurs
  • Leicester
  • Wolves
  • Everton
  • Arsenal
You can laugh at some of them, but I rate us as having 50% chance of winning them. Also despite taking the piss out of Ole, Klopp has yet to devise a plan to beat Man United under Ole having two attempts at it. Nothing is over yet, other than a blow to City's confidence right now - who we all agree can possibly go on a long unbeaten run. The other point to consider is that teams are more open when they play Leicester compared to the way they will play against us, which gives Leicester more than enough chance of winning those games.
But the longer Leicester keep winning the less true it'll be that teams set up differently vs them. Teams will start to sit back vs them soon, viewing a point against second placed team as a good result

I find this sudden disregard of City in some quarters baffling. They are still choc-a-block with world class players and will still win the vast majority of their games despite the efforts of their donkeys to cause defensive mayhem. I don't think for one moment Leicester will get anything out of their game at City.

Leicester have a very good side that is going really really well at the moment but as we saw at Anfield (where our late winner didn't do us justice over the 90 mins, Leicester were never a threat and we wasted a plethora of chances) and will see at City, they are not at the same level since they don't have the same quality of players. Over a 38 game season this will be the difference to City and ourselves.

I find this sudden disregard of City in some quarters baffling. They are still choc-a-block with world class players and will still win the vast majority of their games despite the efforts of their donkeys to cause defensive mayhem. I don't think for one moment Leicester will get anything out of their game at City.

Leicester have a very good side that is going really really well at the moment but as we saw at Anfield (where our late winner didn't do us justice over the 90 mins, Leicester were never a threat and we wasted a plethora of chances) and will see at City, they are not at the same level since they don't have the same quality of players. Over a 38 game season this will be the difference to City and ourselves.

I think their biggest loss is actually Kompany - he was their leader figure, and to be honest they just remind me of Kevin's Newcastle right now. Also this thing about their quality - I know many of you obsess over De Bruyne and a few others - the only one of their attackers I would want in our team is actually Sane. Could not give a fuck about the rest of them to be honest. What happened to them on Saturday was not a surprise to me, Pep's method is very simple :

1) Keep the ball at all costs
2) Pass it around and move and press when no ball
3) Occupy the oppositions half - flood it up
4) ping it around the box and some of those chances will go easy.

The problem with the above is that the team as a whole never builds up the required defensive knowledge and know-how when they are pressed in their own area. Every time a team (not just this season but the last season and the season before) - takes the ball into their area - they can nearly always score against them. The guy plays with nearly 4 to 5 attackers - they are not defensively minded players naturally - what I am hoping is that what is happening to them is the reaction of the PL as a whole saying FUCK YOU to his tiki taka bollox. This is not Spain or Germany.

But the longer Leicester keep winning the less true it'll be that teams set up differently vs them. Teams will start to sit back vs them soon, viewing a point against second placed team as a good result

They just don't have the historical aura about about them, plus squad looks very young so most teams will feel like they can get something against them.

I quite like they are coming up the rear. Keeps us on our toes.

We need that. Otherwise we'd take the foot off the pedal. Only Human nature.

But Rodgers, had one good season with us - he lost me in Europe. Jesus. He was clueless, god awful in the EL, and the CL.

A team of mammies would beat him, if they were called Athletico Mamacita. Couldn't handle anything European at all

Usually the club that were seen as top teams will get extra boost and attention when an opposing team were up against them. Like City, we are now deemed as top tiered team, and due to that more teams are setup to stop us from playing. Fouls, extra push to defend and stifle us. It goes the same with City. Just have a look at United, they were defending for their dear lives against us and then against City, but when they were up against others they get undone because the intensity is not there, the motivation is not there.

No matter how professional you are, you are still human. And let's not forget, these players are still kids (well I am twice their age, most of them). They won't think as rationally as some, so the added push to beat their supposed rivals or top teams will be there.

Now Leicester is never seen as one of the top tier team. Like the season they won the league, they are being overlooked and nobody took them seriously till February. By then their momentum had built, and coupled with other bigger teams falling flat on their faces at that season. Many clubs were either in transition with new manager, or managers overstaying. So they thrive through sheer confidence, driven by that alone. That is exactly what's happening with them. Just have a look at their match against Everton, they could have easily lost it. Yes they have a much better possession, but they didn't exactly bombarded them like we did.

If teams around them realises they are a contender, and treat them the same as they do City or us or Man Utd or even Chelsea, then you will see a very different outcome in the next half of the season.

Usually the club that were seen as top teams will get extra boost and attention when an opposing team were up against them. Like City, we are now deemed as top tiered team, and due to that more teams are setup to stop us from playing. Fouls, extra push to defend and stifle us. It goes the same with City. Just have a look at United, they were defending for their dear lives against us and then against City, but when they were up against others they get undone because the intensity is not there, the motivation is not there.

No matter how professional you are, you are still human. And let's not forget, these players are still kids (well I am twice their age, most of them). They won't think as rationally as some, so the added push to beat their supposed rivals or top teams will be there.

Now Leicester is never seen as one of the top tier team. Like the season they won the league, they are being overlooked and nobody took them seriously till February. By then their momentum had built, and coupled with other bigger teams falling flat on their faces at that season. Many clubs were either in transition with new manager, or managers overstaying. So they thrive through sheer confidence, driven by that alone. That is exactly what's happening with them. Just have a look at their match against Everton, they could have easily lost it. Yes they have a much better possession, but they didn't exactly bombarded them like we did.

If teams around them realises they are a contender, and treat them the same as they do City or us or Man Utd or even Chelsea, then you will see a very different outcome in the next half of the season.
No but we made a big meal of beating Aston Vila, they just swept them asside.

No but we made a big meal of beating Aston Vila, they just swept them asside.
Prove my point with Villa's performance against us and against Leicester, no? Someone made a video of how Leicester been operating this season - having Vardy playing at the defenders' blindside. Worked perfectly well.

I think Leicester contending is in some ways worse for us. You've got a team many neutrals and rivals would prefer to see win it. They've also been there recently, they're not some also-ran, they've got winners with real quality, a manager who knows us well and in a sense, absolutely no huge expectancy to weigh down on them.

I think we have too much for them over the long haul, but it's not going to be easy if they keep winning up until Boxing Day.

Last edited:
  • Man City,
  • Spurs
  • Leicester
  • Wolves
  • Everton
  • Arsenal
Think is Leicester are playing without any pressure at the moment. Kinda like spurs last season. Just hanging onto the coattail of Liverpool and city until city went on a ban run and sours climbed to 2nd. Press all of a second say that they challengers and boom they loose the next game as in typical spursy fashion. Spurs fans more interested in the press considering themselves challengers and after last weekends results bodgers is mouthing off taking digs at the press because they are still taking about the difference between city and us and ignoring Leicester.
Bodgers ego will always be his downfall. His test will be when they hit a few snags and when teams start to play different against them

I think Leicester contending is in some ways worse for us. You've got a team many neutrals and rivals would prefer to see win it. They've also been there recently, they're not some also-ran, they've got winners with real quality, a manager who knows us well and in a sense, absolutely no huge expectancy to weigh down on them.

I think we have too much for them over the long haul, but it's not going to be easy if they keep winning up until Boxing Day.
Dont think Rodgers knows us at all. Team plays differently and the players that werr here under him have upped their game to a different level

Dont think Rodgers knows us at all. Team plays differently and the players that werr here under him have upped their game to a different level

I don't mean he knows the team, though I'm sure as ex-manager he follows us more than most. He knows the club, he knows some players regardless of their progression - TAA, Gomez, Lovren, Hendo, Lallana, Milner, Bobby, Origi.. it's a minor factor but it's there.

I don't mean he knows the team, though I'm sure as ex-manager he follows us more than most. He knows the club, he knows some players regardless of their progression - TAA, Gomez, Lovren, Hendo, Lallana, Milner, Bobby, Origi.. it's a minor factor but it's there.
We outplayed them at Anfield. They had one shot at goal. He might know us, the same way Rafa knows us but it's a totally different thing to stop us.
I don't rate Rodgers as a tactician. He has a certain style and sticks to it. It's probably why we were so poor in Europe when he was in charge.

Good news 1: We're top of the top 7 mini league

Good news 2: Man City has played 2 lesser top-7 games

Good news 3: Leicester's record in top-7 games isn't eye-catching

top7.jpg

That was 25 record across all leagues is outrageous but counts for fuck all until it’s over 50.

Thought I'd take a closer look at this because it's intriguing.

Firstly let's look at who of real value was playing for them and has since left : Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Huth, Okazaki, Simpson & Ulloa. In addition I think most people will agree that Huth, Fuchs, Albrighton, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Okazaki & Morgan all had the seasons of their lives (to date).

They went out early in both the FAC (3rd round) and LC (4th). Their record was 23-12-3 for 81 points and 68-36 for +32 GD. incredibly with only 81 points they still won the league by TEN points from Arsenal. Almost identical records home and away. They suffered just the one defeat in their last 20 matches (12-7-1). Vardy scored 24 goals.

Their record against the Top 6 was Home : W2 D3 L1 and Away : W2 D2 L2. So far this season they have Home : 2-0-0 and Away : 0-1-2

Their star performers this season have been : Vardy, Evans, Söyüncü, Maddison, Tielemans & N'Didi.

There isn't that much experience of a PL title race remaining (though we could add Rodgers to it) and none of them have had to reach 90+ points (which would obliterate the old PL points record for Leicester). They had 42 points (lost 19) the season before their PL title win and followed that 81 points total with 44 (lost 18) the next season. Clearly the state of the established Top 6 played a major part in that PL win. Going back as far as 1994/5 53 points was the best they had ever managed.

Now clearly they are in the throes of either their best ever PL season or, at worst, their second best. But to win the title they would have to enter totally unchartered waters (unlike the team that secured 97 points last season, unbeaten in the last 17 games and winning their last 9 games on the bounce under the most extreme pressure).

I don't want to appear arrogant and I have to say I love to see them (and Rodgers) doing so well but there is no way on earth I can see them winning the necessary amount of games to overhaul us. It would make their 2015/16 title win pale into insignificance in terms of an achievement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom