• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who will be our new Left Back?

Rayan Aït-Nouri in, Beck to Wolves on loan? :p

Dated Dec 2020 (Gary O'Neil's comments on Beck):

“Owen Beck is an amazing one. He’s a young boy, he’s very small.

“He’s been underdeveloped the whole way through, so he’s always been the smallest in his age group, one of the youngest.

“He’s played every game for us at Under-23 level this season and has done some training sessions with the first-team.

Actually I was just reading a review of his tactics which said he does 🤷‍♂️

@Fabio

He did play with a double pivot prior to this season in a 4231 where he’s moved to a single pivot and inverted FB’s in a 433z

Both FB’s invert, though as he prefers an asymmetrical set up on each side.

There’s a theory he may prefer Gomez at LB, because he can invert or drop into a back 3 if the CB’s move across to cover the RB going forward, or inverting.

It has been widely reported that Slot's favoured formation is a 4-2-3-1, using a midfield double pivot to progress centrally through the first line, and a No. 10.

Even though he has started playing 433 more often it seems he still reverts to 4231 for key matches notably in Europe and in the KNVB Cup final.

The main thing is he's flexible and doesn't seem to rely heavily on a lone 6

Gomez inverting...oh god please let's just play him at CB and get a new LB instead..
I’m wondering if we’ll go for Geertruide - he has a similar profile to Gomez, but from what I’ve would be a serious upgrade, he’s a much more talented footballer and actually exciting to watch. Could be our starting RB (competing with Bradley) if Trent moves to midfield + ability to cover at CB, DM and LB.

I’m wondering if we’ll go for Geertruide - he has a similar profile to Gomez, but from what I’ve would be a serious upgrade, he’s a much more talented footballer and actually exciting to watch. Could be our starting RB (competing with Bradley) if Trent moves to midfield + ability to cover at CB, DM and LB.

Yeah not supet keen on him in any one position but a Swiss army knife that is seriously good in all our problem areas would go a long way. Resolves the debate over whether DM/CB/LB is a bigger priority for our budget.

Last edited:
Even though he plays RB for Feyenoord their fans all say he is better at CB
I watched him playing next to Van Dijk at CB (in a back 4) against Scotland. They looked comfortable playing together; Geertrude is a more aggressive “bulldog” type like Rudiger, which complements Van Dijk, and I was really impressed with his reading of the game, concentration and technique. His first touch, ball control and passing looks way above a CB level; just effortless.

The only question is that he’s 184cm which is short-ish for a CB in England and doesn’t look dominant in the air. But the talent is something else; he is one of those players whose abilities are so high-level and wide-ranging that they look class in any position. He scores a shitload of goals for a defensive player too.

Last edited:
I watched him playing next to Van Dijk at CB (in a back 4) against Scotland. They looked comfortable playing together; Geertrude is a more aggressive “bulldog” type like Rudiger, which complements Van Dijk, and I was really impressed with his reading of the game, concentration and technique. His first touch, ball control and passing looks way above a CB level; just effortless.

The only question is that he’s 184cm which is short-ish for a CB in England and doesn’t look dominant in the air. But the talent is something else; he is one of those players whose abilities are so high-level and wide-ranging that they look class in any position. He scores a shitload of goals for a defensive player too.
If I’m remembering correctly his goals and assists make our forwards look anemic! But that is in the Erdevisie so pinch of salt.

From De Telegraaf:

Arne Slot knows that Geertruida can also be deployed in several positions. At Feyenoord he played as a right back, central defender and defensive midfielder. In addition, he is by far the best header in standard situations and he has unprecedented statistics as a defender.

Transfer amount Geertruida

Liverpool is able to pay an amount of 30 million euros for Geertruida if that is required again by the Rotterdammers. Feyenoord knows that the defender wants to make a big step in his career and is already expecting his departure. He is also entering the final year of his contract and it is unthinkable for Feyenoord that he would leave on a free transfer next season. His transfer value is estimated at 32 million euros.

David Hancko has been crazy about Liverpool from an early age, but Feyenoord knows that there is a lot of interest in the left-footed defender from Italy.

Oooh la la

Depends how slot plays, but so far he hasn't played with a double pivot, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Here's the article. Some good player stats :

During most of his managerial career, Slot has often used numbers tens. In his current system at Feyenoord, he often plays in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with a double pivot playing behind a traditional number 10 or sometimes having two advanced attacking numbers 8.

Alisson and Gerturde in our back line, can we get a Mary, Penelope and Maud to make up the back 5?

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to bring in a CB who has played with VVD before, good to hit the ground running.

Who will be our new left back?

Probs some div with a wand of a left foot and an arm full of unreadable tattoos.

View: https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/status/1785953393132896340

If Gomez leaves, we definitely need to buy Geertruida.

We got to be careful though.

We can only have 17 overseas players. We currently have 16.

Adrian, Matip & Thiago will free up spaces, but we’ll need to save one for Gravenberch and we might need one for a keeper.

That really only leaves us with 2-3 spaces - and every first team player we sell will need replacing.

Where we’re light is homegrown, so selling Gomez and replacing from scratch overseas could limit us in other areas.

Gets more complicated for Europe with club trained vs association trained.

At some point we’re going to have to sign homegrown players - and if we want quality, that’ll come at a premium.

How many times do you need to be told Stevie.

Jaros who's impressing on loan can easily replace Adrian as our 3rd choice next season....& guess what? He's homegrown.

Sepp can replace Gomez or if not be our 4th/5th choice and guess what? He happens to be homegrown too.

Morton Carvalho Quansah Beck. Kelleher Harvey Jones if we keep them too.

It's like some people completely neglect our academy, almost every single one of them will be eligible as homegrown when they turn 21.

How many times do you need to be told Stevie.

Jaros who's impressing on loan can easily replace Adrian as our 3rd choice next season....& guess what? He's homegrown.

Sepp can replace Gomez or if not be our 4th/5th choice and guess what? He happens to be homegrown too.

Morton Carvalho Quansah Beck. Kelleher Harvey Jones if we keep them too.

It's like some people completely neglect our academy, almost every single one of them will be eligible as homegrown when they turn 21.

You’re the one who was gurning about us having the smallest squad in the league and how none of our academy players were good enough to make it last season - not me.

In a few weeks time you’ll be posting about how we should sell Kelleher, Carvalho, Beck, Morton & Harvey Jones.

I’ve been advocating for Van den berg for years - but that doesn’t mean he’s going to get a chance.

Jarod may get a chance to replace Adrian - although he may decide that actually playing every now and then would be better.

Kelleher is the subject of speculation every year - I reckon he’s running his contract down to go on a free to Celtic - cause they’re not paying much for him.

Anyway - we just need to be careful is all I’m saying - particularly if we’re going to start selling off senior homegrown players - you can’t keep selling off HG players and buying OS players - there’s a point where you can’t add any more.

Last edited:
For the hard of understanding…. Here’s how this works.

The max squad size is 25. We can register up to 17 Overseas players - it’s a hard cap - we don’t have to register 17 we just can’t register more.

Home Grown has no cap - we can register as many as we want - we could register 25 if we wanted and go all Farragey and fuck off the foreigners - but if you use your full complement of 17 OS players you can only register up to 8.

U21’s - there’s no limit as long as they meet the age criteria.

Right now we have 21 players registered, but only 1 of those can be an OS player - and Gravy needs to registered next season as this is his last as an U21.

Fortunately we have 3 OS players - Thiago, Matip & Adrian - out of contract at the end of the season, so that gives us 3 available spots for OS players.

We currently have 3 HG spots free and as Rhys Williams is registered, I’d say more likely 4 as he’s likely getting released.

Harvey, Bradley, Quansah, Doak, Badger, Clark & Luke Chambers DO NOT need to be registered as they qualify as U21 for another year at least.

Morton, Van den Berg, Carvalho, Jaros & Owen Beck would have to be registered to play - so we can register 3 of them or ; if we let Rhys Williams go.

I don’t think Jaros gets registered as a 2rd choice keeper because he’s never going to play - so we’ll likely loan out the keepers.

Incidentally, Pitaluga needs to be registered next season too, so I suspect he’ll be loaned out or released - as his loan really doesn’t seem to have gone well. Harvey Davies has another season as an U21.

There is a question there - because what we want for a third keeper is not a kid, it’s an old keeper that is happy not to play but is still good enough to step in if there’s an emergency - it makes no sense to give that role to a kid that needs games. Ideally we find an old HG keeper - but there aren’t many.

So, we could register Morton, Van den Berg, Beck and Carvalho with no need to sell Gomez and we’d still be able to sign 3 OS players.

We could sell Gomez and we’d still be onky be able to sign 3 OS players, but we would be able to register another HG player.

So, we could go out and sign a new LB, but if they’re an OS player, that’s just one less OS player spot we have left.

Robinson & Maatsen are interesting because they both count as HG, so they could replace Gomez.

What’s a little more difficult is the European squad rules - where they differentiate between club trained and association trained.

You can only have a max of 4 association trained - Carvalho, Van den Berg are definitely Associstion trained and I think Morton & Beck might be too, due to their loans - so we couldn’t go out and buy another HG player AND register all these players for league and Europe.

Gomez is classified as club trained (along with Trent, Kelleher & CJ), so selling him doesn’t open up an extra Euro spot.

It might in a years time as Bradley, Quansah & Harvey will all be club trained.

So… short version - there’s no benefit to selling Gomez unless he wants to go or someone offers us silly money - this season. There’s a bit more of a reason in 12 months time.

That’s probs why Tsimikas and Endo are getting mentioned… as there is more benefit to selling them, in that you can replace them with whoever you want - HG or OS.

Miguel (the Girona LB) just scored the winning goal against Barcelona to give the league title to Real Madrid.

Robbo will be our new Left Back.

He’s missed half the season through injury and will be back better than ever next season.
We won’t have that much to spend, cuz we never do, and replacing a bit of a legend when we already have a a brand new and still incohesive midfield would be madness for a new manager.

Back
Top Bottom