• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who will be our new Left Back?

tomasjj

Well-Known
With Robbo not getting younger, and the form a bit more spotty, we need to look for his successor.

What about Ian Maatsen, currently on loan at Dortmund? Chavs need to sell too. 22 yo.
Other good alternatives?

One of these please

Rayan Aït-Nouri

Milos Kerkez

One is super young, plays like a maniac and is Szobo's mate. The other is probably the best LB in the league now.

LB is one of our priority areas I think. We are starved in that position

Last edited:
Aït-Nouri plays more like a winger now. Skillful, but I would like a bit more physique.
The other lad I haven't seen play.

I do like Owen Beck - don't feel safe with just him though. Liverpool LB is a ball busting position and all our defenders seem to be made of glass for some reason.

I don't think we'll buy one any time soon. We've got Robbo, tsimi and gomez with beck, scanlon and chambers trying to break through

Can see the focus being CB, DM and maybe a striker

i do like maatsen, ait-nouri and kerkez; i just don't think for the budget we have that they will look at that area

FFP is real now and so transfers are going to be much more focussed even though there's a possibility fees will drop.

That, plus the new regime coming in, make it very hard to second guess but a CB and RW seem most obvious. If we sell any of the other forward line then we will need to replace like with like. Getting Thiago's £10m a season off the books will free up a fair bit a wage headroom, as will Salah's £17m if he does go

Last edited:
Theo Hernandez/Alphonso Davies are probably the 2 best in Europe right now but since both would cost an absolute fortune, I'd settle for Dimarco.

Or if you like all that Prem proven crap then Antonee Robinson isn't a bad shout.

It's s top concern for me. I can't see Robbo or Tsimi staying beyond next season tbh.

CB is where we don't need any action - we have four senior options for two spots, and Sepp coming in as well -- Any new CB coming in will probably be back up, unless we see a very good opportunity for a v promising young player to be VVD's successor (Omari, Yoro, Pancho etc)

Other than RW, our forward line is pretty packed. No outgoings = no need for incomings.

LB is where we need to step up.

It's s top concern for me. I can't see Robbo or Tsimi staying beyond next season tbh.

CB is where we don't need any action - we have four senior options for two spots, and Sepp coming in as well -- Any new CB coming in will probably be back up, unless we see a very good opportunity for a v promising young player to be VVD's successor (Omari, Yoro, Pancho etc)

Other than RW, our forward line is pretty packed. No outgoings = no need for incomings.

LB is where we need to step up.

for me it's an area we can wait a year or 2. Our issues in front of goal and need of a clinical finisher may not be at the top of slots ideas, but we do need one for me. Disagree over CB however. We've got a 32 year old VVD, an injury prone ibou, a still raw quansah, and gomez who may very well be needed to fill across the back 4. I'd be going all out for a commanding young CB for 1)long term vvd replacement, and 2) short term ibou replacement for when he's injured. I don't think 4 cbs (even including VDB who has been in a back 3 this year) is a solid enough base for us, when history shows ibou and gomez tend to pick up knocks.

DM we absolutely need to strengthen as we don't know if 1)endo can maintain in a new system. 2)macca shouldn't play there. ever. 3)stefan isn't just another thiago..

LB, with 6 options for this season, is fine. If we sell some, then thats another kettle of fish

I think Tsimikas needs to go and Robertson gets rotated.

What does Slott like in his backline? There's been more of a move to play 3 CBs and one attacking fullback in recent times, and he may well want that if Trent or Bradley is bombing up the pitch, but I've no idea what the Baldy Brodgers likes.

This is how he set up in their last game. Basically a 5 back, 5 attack system in a 433 with his 2 #8s pushed very high up.

901d2e906d875ba440be907985d63be71495ed8b.png

I think Tsimikas needs to go and Robertson gets rotated.

What does Slott like in his backline? There's been more of a move to play 3 CBs and one attacking fullback in recent times, and he may well want that if Trent or Bradley is bombing up the pitch, but I've no idea what the Baldy Brodgers likes.
This is what I think.
Robbo needs rotation, with his future sucessor.

This is what I think.
Robbo needs rotation, with his future sucessor.
I dont disagree, i just don't think its a 2024 problem. 2025, absolutely. Theres every chance trent may not even be a RB with slot, meaning its bradley and ramsay as our RB. I think that side might take priority over left

I dont disagree, i just don't think its a 2024 problem. 2025, absolutely. Theres every chance trent may not even be a RB with slot, meaning its bradley and ramsay as our RB. I think that side might take priority over left

Could be. DM is certainly a 2024 problem. And i think CB too

Theo Hernandez/Alphonso Davies are probably the 2 best in Europe right now but since both would cost an absolute fortune, I'd settle for Dimarco.

Or if you like all that Prem proven crap then Antonee Robinson isn't a bad shout.

for me it's an area we can wait a year or 2. Our issues in front of goal and need of a clinical finisher may not be at the top of slots ideas, but we do need one for me. Disagree over CB however. We've got a 32 year old VVD, an injury prone ibou, a still raw quansah, and gomez who may very well be needed to fill across the back 4. I'd be going all out for a commanding young CB for 1)long term vvd replacement, and 2) short term ibou replacement for when he's injured. I don't think 4 cbs (even including VDB who has been in a back 3 this year) is a solid enough base for us, when history shows ibou and gomez tend to pick up knocks.

DM we absolutely need to strengthen as we don't know if 1)endo can maintain in a new system. 2)macca shouldn't play there. ever. 3)stefan isn't just another thiago..

LB, with 6 options for this season, is fine. If we sell some, then thats another kettle of fish
Absolutely agree on CB.
Absolutely agree with Hyena on LB. Tsimikas isn't even close to good enough and Robbo is on the downside of that hill, whereas he was a guaranteed 7,8,9/10 he now has stinkers as often as not.

I think DM is less of an issue if we are going to play a double pivot. It means we do not need to be a Palhinha/Doucore style pure destroyer

Gravenberch/Jones +Endo/Bacjectic - I'm fine with this. Throw in Tyler Morton into the mix.
Plus, some of you weirdos want to play Trent in the middle. So that's another spot gone

Of course if we pull Andre Khephren or Joao Neves that'd be nice but never gonna happen.

I think DM is less of an issue if we are going to play a double pivot. It means we do not need to be a Palhinha/Doucore style pure destroyer

Gravenberch/Jones +Endo/Bacjectic - I'm fine with this. Throw in Tyler Morton into the mix.
Plus, some of you weirdos want to play Trent in the middle. So that's another spot gone

Of course if we pull Andre Khephren or Joao Neves that'd be nice but never gonna happen.

Depends how slot plays, but so far he hasn't played with a double pivot, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Miguel Gutierrez from Girona could be a good one. 22 years old.

I like him very much. I guess it’s also worth talking about which kind of left-back we want - if it’s a CB-like defensive fullback like Ake or Ben White, then maybe someone like Kerkez would be ideal. Gutierrez is more of a left midfielder/full-back, someone whose strongest attributes are passing and chance creation. I think Owen Beck is also in that mould (but far less experienced).

And of course that dilemma will be affected by what happens with Trent on the other side…

Double pivot from the full back, no? Not an outright double pivot 4 2 3 1
I'll try and find the article (on the desktop computer) but it was double pivot in the 2 midfield slots. The article was about how Slot improves players (and spoke at length about who and how) and how Trent, Nunez and Szobo would look good in his team.

Back
Top Bottom