• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Who is 2nd choice?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who is your alternative feasible option?

• Ruben Amorim

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Roger Schmidt

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Roberto De Zerbi

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hans Flick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zinedine Zidane

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Inzaghi

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
If Inzaghi can’t do it, I would also consider Nagelsmann - really impressed how he seems to have turned Germany around. Every decision he made lately has been spot-on.

The lingering bad PR from the Bayern job is incredible. Seems to be deemed unemployable by most big clubs now.

(which is ridiculous considering Bayern is thinking of re-hiring him)

The lingering bad PR from the Bayern job is incredible. Seems to be deemed unemployable by most big clubs now.

It does point to the strong possibility that the problem at Bayern wasn’t Nagelsman.

I think Klopp has been ridiculously likeable, and Alonso was obviously the fan's favourite.

So FSG have no choice but to go for the most likeable, charismatic, media savvy, good manager they can find.

That rules out Tuchel, RDZ, JN, Ljinders, Inzaghi and a host of others

Amorim is a shoo in.

If Inzaghi can’t do it, I would also consider Nagelsmann - really impressed how he seems to have turned Germany around. Every decision he made lately has been spot-on.

I'd be open to him. A little bit worried about his man management but excellent tactician.

Not being too pessimistic but I don't think this squad is primed for trophies. The magic ingredient is Klopp who is making this squad punch way above its weight. I feel we are going to see the squads true level when he leaves which is still very very good. But not the can compete for quad level.

Agreed

Did they ever disclose the real issue there? It seemed personal at the time with rumours of affairs etc. Maybe he did a Poyet on the way out.

Nagelsman, Lijnders & de Zerbi would be my 3 now.

I'd have Emery in there too and that's my top 4. Lijnders is at the bottom of that group for me but there's enough rationale not to completely dismiss him out of hand.

No so sure about Emery, I probably lean to the feeling he’s a manager that will overachieve at a “small club” and underachieve at a big one.

Amorim , I’m not sure on, something about him being wedded to 343 doesn’t feel right.

No so sure about Emery, I probably lean to the feeling he’s a manager that will overachieve at a “small club” and underachieve at a big one.

Amorim , I’m not sure on, something about him being wedded to 343 doesn’t feel right.

Exact same as Alonsos usual tactics.

Your take on Emery could very well be right. But he's got enough of a body of work to be in the running and more of one than most of the other candidates.

Exact same as Alonsos usual tactics.

Alonso not so welded and more flexible I think - but I wasn’t sold n him either, to be honest.

I think Ancelotti would be the safest pair of hands for a few years - but it won’t happen.

Bayern would be really hard to work for.
They wouldn’t respect a younger man
He had an affair with a journo?
Rumors appeared in her stories about players

Old school Munchers didn’t like him arriving at the club on a skateboard. I’m not sure players can respect a bloke who hasn’t played at a high level and is the same age. It takes a while

I get a Rodgers, Ten Hag or Villas-Boas vibe from Amorim.

Too many red flags:

- Spent his entire playing and managerial career in Portugal. Not exposed to any brand of football other than in Portugal
- Average to mediocre playing career, with limited exposure to good managers. The best managers he's played under are Jorge Jesus at Benfica and Paulo Bento at the national team - both Portuguese managers
- Wedded inflexibly to a 3-4-3 formation. Tactical inflexibility is NOT a good trait for a young manager
- Zero experience of handling stars or even sharing a dressing room with stars. Chances are he'll completely buckle when he faces the big lights, or faces internal pressure from the likes of Salah, van Dijk, Alisson or Trent
- Big difference between managing in Portugal/France/Netherlands, which is at least two tiers below England / Spain / Italy and probably a tier below Bundesliga as well

Think with mediocre players who go on to become managers, you need to be of two types.

1. The exceptionally strong personality types - basically Ferguson, Klopp, Mourinho - this is a very rare once-in-a-generation type of character who forge their way to greatness through sheer force of character and personality. Is Amorim really that type? Everything seems to suggest that he's a quiet, non-confrontational guy.

2. The quiet, tactically evolving type who work their way through the ranks from smaller to bigger clubs, proving themselves to be strong cup managers before eventually achieving solid success at the top level - Rafa, Emery, Spalletti, Ranieri are examples. Amorim could perhaps be one of these - but the jump from Sporting to Liverpool is way too soon for him. He needs more experience in either Spain or Italy in a tougher league for 5 years before he's ready for such a jump.

Too many red flags:

- Spent his entire playing and managerial career in Portugal. Not exposed to any brand of football other than in Portugal
- Average to mediocre playing career, with limited exposure to good managers. The best managers he's played under are Jorge Jesus at Benfica and Paulo Bento at the national team - both Portuguese managers
- Wedded inflexibly to a 3-4-3 formation. Tactical inflexibility is NOT a good trait for a young manager
- Zero experience of handling stars or even sharing a dressing room with stars. Chances are he'll completely buckle when he faces the big lights, or faces internal pressure from the likes of Salah, van Dijk, Alisson or Trent
- Big difference between managing in Portugal/France/Netherlands, which is at least two tiers below England / Spain / Italy and probably a tier below Bundesliga as well

Think with mediocre players who go on to become managers, you need to be of two types.

1. The exceptionally strong personality types - basically Ferguson, Klopp, Mourinho - this is a very rare once-in-a-generation type of character who forge their way to greatness through sheer force of character and personality. Is Amorim really that type? Everything seems to suggest that he's a quiet, non-confrontational guy.

2. The quiet, tactically evolving type who work their way through the ranks from smaller to bigger clubs, proving themselves to be strong cup managers before eventually achieving solid success at the top level - Rafa, Emery, Spalletti, Ranieri are examples. Amorim could perhaps be one of these - but the jump from Sporting to Liverpool is way too soon for him. He needs more experience in either Spain or Italy in a tougher league for 5 years before he's ready for such a jump.

Its been reported several places that the reason he scores high on the metrics test by Edwards and co is because of his personality. Extrovert with passion and charisma and fighting spirit. Great relationship and communication with the fans and players. He's been compared to Mourinho, and why I'm guessing they think he can succeed in England as well. A leader who can command the dressing room from the start.

The not managing big stars is one of the worst arguments against a manager imho, and one of the reasons clubs make poor choices when hiring.

He's also known for his tactical flexibility to change the teams approach and set up during games.

If we're going down the young manager route, I actually find Thiago Motta the most intriguing from amongst de Zerbi, Amorim or Nagelsmann.

I would definitely be interested in Inzaghi, but I get the feeling that he won't leave Italy.

Motta is intriguing for a bunch of reasons similar to Alonso:

- highly talented (albeit injury prone) player, who played as a CM playmaker, typically the position which gives you the best insight into being a coach. Vast majority of successful player-managers have been CMs/playmakers
- exposed to a variety of footballing styles, having won 10 league titles and 2 CLs at Barca, Inter and PSG
- multi-lingual, being fluent in French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese - tend to make for good communicators
- like Xabi, coached by some of the best managers of his generation - Rijkaard (Barca), Mourinho (Inter), Ancelotti & Emery (PSG), Conte (Italy national team). That's an immense of footballing knowledge to have absorbed from a variety of brilliant coaches and styles
- shared a dressing room with some of the biggest stars of his generation - Ronaldinho, Zlatan, Eto'o etc. He is likely thus to be totally comfortable dealing with the likes of Salah, van Dijk
- most importantly, his football tactically seems to be the most exciting - employs a 4-3-3 at Bologna and his ideas seem to be something of a combination of Klopp's and Guardiola's

Football-wise, what this team needs isn't some tactical revamp, but just an evolution of what already exists. Motta's ideas seem to me to the most suited to our squad of players, of all the current candidates. De Zerbi is also intriguing, but I think he may be too much of a maverick (like Bielsa) to ever coach a team that actually wins trophies.

Too many red flags:

Looks like someone copy/pasted my post in the other thread ;) Totally agree on everything.

Hansern is going to hate your 'Red Flags' comment (he took issue when I used it) :ROFLMAO:

If we're going down the young manager route, I actually find Thiago Motta the most intriguing from amongst de Zerbi, Amorim or Nagelsmann.

I would definitely be interested in Inzaghi, but I get the feeling that he won't leave Italy.

Motta is intriguing for a bunch of reasons similar to Alonso:

- highly talented (albeit injury prone) player, who played as a CM playmaker, typically the position which gives you the best insight into being a coach. Vast majority of successful player-managers have been CMs/playmakers
- exposed to a variety of footballing styles, having won 10 league titles and 2 CLs at Barca, Inter and PSG
- multi-lingual, being fluent in French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese - tend to make for good communicators
- like Xabi, coached by some of the best managers of his generation - Rijkaard (Barca), Mourinho (Inter), Ancelotti & Emery (PSG), Conte (Italy national team). That's an immense of footballing knowledge to have absorbed from a variety of brilliant coaches and styles
- shared a dressing room with some of the biggest stars of his generation - Ronaldinho, Zlatan, Eto'o etc. He is likely thus to be totally comfortable dealing with the likes of Salah, van Dijk
- most importantly, his football tactically seems to be the most exciting - employs a 4-3-3 at Bologna and his ideas seem to be something of a combination of Klopp's and Guardiola's

Football-wise, what this team needs isn't some tactical revamp, but just an evolution of what already exists. Motta's ideas seem to me to the most suited to our squad of players, of all the current candidates. De Zerbi is also intriguing, but I think he may be too much of a maverick (like Bielsa) to ever coach a team that actually wins trophies.
Spot on post.

Note that Inzaghi has already said he won't move anyway (and he doesn't speak English - that surely must be a prerequisite).

Can we fuck off with how good a manager was as a player?

There are many top managers who were average at best players. Klopp being one of them.

It is not a metric that should be used in any which way to determine our next manager.

Talent as a player should be deemed a red flag.

They're almost all cunts, for one.

Surprised Fonseca's name hasn't been mentioned on hers. Thought he did well at Shakthar and now at Lille

Looks like someone copy/pasted my post in the other thread ;) Totally agree on everything.

Hansern is going to hate your 'Red Flags' comment (he took issue when I used it) :ROFLMAO:

There are risks and red flags with every manager on our short list. I just disagree with several of yours and Dmishra's as they are wrong/not valid.

There are risks and red flags with every manager on our short list. I just disagree with several of yours and Dmishra's as they are wrong/not valid.
In your opinion. We think your view is wrong and there have been a few commentators/players warning against Amorim (for the same reasons) too.

Can we fuck off with how good a manager was as a player?

There are many top managers who were average at best players. Klopp being one of them.

It is not a metric that should be used in any which way to determine our next manager.

This, so much this. And you can add the fact if a manager has experience from managing big stars.
You make your choice in regards to a new manager with several different criteria. Some of them being his character, personality, leadership qualities, relationships with his players, staff and fans.
If they all check out then he can manage anyone imho, and its irrelevant if he has managed Mbappe or Maupay.

In your opinion. We think your view is wrong and there have been a few commentators/players warning against Amorim (for the same reasons) too.

I the description of his character, personality and leadership qualities are wrong given every scouting report and feedback from players/commentators out there confirm that.
He's definitely no Rodgers.

Regarding if you have to have managed big name players or experience from other leagues/top teams - thats a matter of opinion and thats fine. We all have different metrics and values for what we are looking for in a new manager.

Back
Top Bottom