• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Who is 2nd choice?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who is your alternative feasible option?

• Ruben Amorim

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Roger Schmidt

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Roberto De Zerbi

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hans Flick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zinedine Zidane

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Inzaghi

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
If Xabi doesn’t come to us, I’d be happy with the option of Inzaghi - in fact that could work more to our advantage because I think Inzaghi will end up in the Premier League anyway and I’d rather not see Chelsea or United get themselves a top coach. Whereas Xabi will probably not coach in the EPL unless it’s us.

What are your views on Amorim?

notice how de Zerbi has fallen out if favour.
If we don't get xabi, then Inzaghi should get it. If inzaghi says no, then Hans Flick

I honestly know nothing about Amorim other than he is very young, and young managers don't have the best record in the PL

De Zerbi remains high up my list. Brighton have been less impressive this season, but this was expected given their midfield was ripped apart and Mitomoa has been out.

Pep called him one the most influential coaches he had seen in the last twenty years and there's a well established theory that Zerbi ball will translate well to a bigger club and better players, especially those with a decent defensive platform

There's also something to be said for already having Mac Allister in the squad who will help the squad adapt and could be what Lallana was to Klopp in the early stages. Whilst this is no reason to select one manager over another, I do think it would be helpful and could speed up the transiton in his first year. The fact he plays with a high like, has a high counter press too also will make for an easier transition off the ball. The challenge will moving away from Klopps attacking 'chaos', but to a more orchestrated, possession based, attacking game

View: https://youtu.be/D8AgTaSShmM?si=AfG1YtN3TkJlSRop

Last edited:
If Xabi doesn’t come to us, I’d be happy with the option of Inzaghi - in fact that could work more to our advantage because I think Inzaghi will end up in the Premier League anyway and I’d rather not see Chelsea or United get themselves a top coach. Whereas Xabi will probably not coach in the EPL unless it’s us.

Thought about this more and I don't see Inzaghi moving to us, or anywhere in the PL.

He's stayed in Italy his whole professional career. Only played for Lazio in his senior career - and stayed for an astonishungly long time.

He seems settled and happy in Milan, and a reasonable loyal and stable character. His wife is Italian as well. The Milan fans obviously love him. I bet he's bought his pasta from the same shop for the past 40 years.

I just don't see what we have to offer him besides money.

Thought about this more and I don't see Inzaghi moving to us, or anywhere in the PL.

He's stayed in Italy his whole professional career. Only played for Lazio in his senior career - and stayed for an astonishungly long time.

He seems settled and happy in Milan, and a reasonable loyal and stable character. His wife is Italian as well. The Milan fans obviously love him. I bet he's bought his pasta from the same shop for the past 40 years.

Actual chance of winning a European Cup. Anfield and the Kirby training ground is light years ahead of anything in Italy. Actual full stadiums, not like Serie A where some times they struggle to get the stadiums qtrs full.

When he was a player the Serie A was still relevant, it had still had top talent even more so then the Prem. The glam was still there, the salary was still competitive.

There is a lot to gain outside Italy but as you said, "does he want it?". Italian managers have jumped at moving to prem clubs in the last few years.

I don't want Rubin Amorim, I think we would be too much of a jump up for him, he is only 39.
I am reminded of AVB and Naglesman who went to bigger clubs and it didn't work. Age played a factor

Lots of Italian coaches work abroad, their love for pasta nonwithstanding. There is a reason almost every good Italian manager of last 30 years - Capello, Trapattoni, Mancini, Spalletti, Ancelotti, Ranieri, Conte, Sarri, De Zerbi etc etc - had significant stints outside Italy, many of them in the Premier League. Allegri is the only high-profile exception I can think of and that might be because he’s not very good.

Inter Milan coach Simone Inzaghi is fielding major Premier League interest.

After reaching the Champions League final last season, Inzaghi has Inter already champions-elect in Serie A.

Tuttosport says Inzaghi is attracting interest from the Premier League.

Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have started gathering information about the Inter coach.

Even Barcelona are said to have opened their eyes to Inzaghi.

Inzaghi is under contract until 2025 and earns €5.5 million net per year. In England, he will be offered 8-9 million euros in annual salary.

Inter are said to be very happy with Inzaghi and are expected to offer him a new contract extension to 2027.
Who's reporting that?

If Xabi doesn’t choose us, my other choice would be Simone Inzaghi. He is one of the most promising coaches of the new generation, an excellent cup manager with Coppa and Supercoppa Italia wins for almost every season of his managerial career so far (with 2 different teams: Lazio and Inter) plus obviously taking Inter to the CL final for the first time in 13 years, where they were rather unlucky to lose to City after mostly outplaying them.

Like Xabi he plays 3-5-2 and his Inter team is currently head and shoulders above the competition in Serie A. He doesn’t have as clear a style of football as Xabi, Arteta or Pep; he seems to be from a more adaptable school like Ancelotti; his man-management skills and ability to get the most out of his players have won repeated praise. His teams can switch between high press and mid-block, they vary their attacking build-up so it’s difficult to counteract and if you look at Inter this season, the players play with joy and freedom, in addition to being obviously excellently organized.

I have no idea if he will be interested in leaving his current job and coaching Liverpool (his contract runs until summer 2025), but if he is, he should be ahead of Xabi or Amorim purely based on experience and history of success. It would feel a little like stepping into unknown to hire someone who doesn’t have a prior connection with Liverpool (if you don’t count being coached by LFC fan Sven-Goran Eriksson), but to be fair neither did Klopp. For sure I would avoid German managers for now - this would feel like we’re trying to replace Klopp and that would be a mistake. Just like in recruiting players, the best strategy is to forget the hype and extraneous factors and look at underlying stats to select the outstanding candidate, no matter where they come from.
Quiffer!
What about Simone Inzaghi? Plenty of experience with a big club with Inter Milan. He's won seria A and taken them to a Champions League final.

A Tottenham fan I know is worried we'll make a play for Ange because he's the nearest thing to Jürgen out there in terms of (a) playing style and (b) the way he wins over everybody at a club, from directors to tea ladies, to get everyone pulling together, "doubters to believers" and all that.

Any views?

If you combine Ange’s personality and Xabi’s tactical nous, you’ll get a pretty good approximation of Klopp.

A Tottenham fan I know is worried we'll make a play for Ange because he's the nearest thing to Jürgen out there in terms of (a) playing style and (b) the way he wins over everybody at a club, from directors to tea ladies, to get everyone pulling together, "doubters to believers" and all that.

Any views?
Ange, first season at a big club he isn't going anywhere. I think he is doing really well, and I would like to see what he does next season when the opposition will know more about his play book. So too early to make a move for Ange.
My list is
Xabi
Inzaghi
Zidane (he might crash and burn, but regardless it's the fulfilment of prophecy born in the 90s)

If Xabi doesn’t choose us, my other choice would be Simone Inzaghi. He is one of the most promising coaches of the new generation, an excellent cup manager with Coppa and Supercoppa Italia wins for almost every season of his managerial career so far (with 2 different teams: Lazio and Inter) plus obviously taking Inter to the CL final for the first time in 13 years, where they were rather unlucky to lose to City after mostly outplaying them.

Like Xabi he plays 3-5-2 and his Inter team is currently head and shoulders above the competition in Serie A. He doesn’t have as clear a style of football as Xabi, Arteta or Pep; he seems to be from a more adaptable school like Ancelotti; his man-management skills and ability to get the most out of his players have won repeated praise. His teams can switch between high press and mid-block, they vary their attacking build-up so it’s difficult to counteract and if you look at Inter this season, the players play with joy and freedom, in addition to being obviously excellently organized.

I have no idea if he will be interested in leaving his current job and coaching Liverpool (his contract runs until summer 2025), but if he is, he should be ahead of Xabi or Amorim purely based on experience and history of success. It would feel a little like stepping into unknown to hire someone who doesn’t have a prior connection with Liverpool (if you don’t count being coached by LFC fan Sven-Goran Eriksson), but to be fair neither did Klopp. For sure I would avoid German managers for now - this would feel like we’re trying to replace Klopp and that would be a mistake. Just like in recruiting players, the best strategy is to forget the hype and extraneous factors and look at underlying stats to select the outstanding candidate, no matter where they come from.
Does he speak English as well as Klopp?

Any views?
Can’t see us going to Ange even though I think he’d be ‘successful’ here.

Does he speak English as well as Klopp?
I think like most Italians there is more than a basic grasp of English. Unlike the English speaking world most kids in Europe learn an alternative language other their own. There is a growing tendency around the world to mix native tongue with English. A bit like how Brits from a certain social class mix English with Latin or French. In Germany and Denmark they call it "Denglish". In France they call it "Frenglais" and in Italy, you guessed it, Britalino
Or Itanglese. Besides even if he doesn't they'll get a translator

I think like most Italians there is more than a basic grasp of English. Unlike the English speaking world most kids in Europe learn an alternative language other their own. There is a growing tendency around the world to mix native tongue with English. A bit like how Brits from a certain social class mix English with Latin or French. In Germany and Denmark they call it "Denglish". In France they call it "Frenglais" and in Italy, you guessed it, Britalino
Or Itanglese. Besides even if he doesn't they'll get a translator
I think a translator would be shit, personally.

View: https://twitter.com/LewisSteele_/status/1772280483084120338

Reports in Germany have suggested that Alonso would prefer to stay in the Bundesliga but Liverpool have had little indication to lower their expectations. Instead, they will do battle with Bayern as both appear to have made Alonso their No 1 candidate.

The two clubs will battle and make pitches for Alonso and the manager himself will have the final say on his next destination, if he chooses to leave league leaders Bayer Leverkusen. He is not expected to be swayed by finances and will make his decision based on football matters.

Interestingly, both clubs are also keen on Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi, too. New sporting director Hughes is a massive fan of the Italian and tried to bring him to Bournemouth when Scott Parker left the club two years ago, only for an ownership lag to thwart this charge.

Hughes grew up playing in the Atalanta academy - coincidentally who Liverpool play next in the Europa League - and came up against De Zerbi many times in youth football when he was plying his trade for AC Milan’s colts.

De Zerbi has long been mentioned as a potential successor for Jurgen Klopp, albeit noise slightly died down during a tough start to 2024 for Brighton. But he will certainly be considered as part of the shortlist along with Sporting boss Ruben Amorim.

Liverpool want a young manager who can grow at the club, and also someone who plays attacking football and has a strong personality.
Fans would prefer Alonso but the other two have made compelling cases with their bodies of work in recent years.

Amorim has been described by those close to him as a ‘master communicator’ - read a full profile of him on Mail Sport later this week - and it is believed he scored high on internal data tests led by Liverpool’s head of research Will Spearman.

The young Portuguese boss shares an agent with Liverpool forward Luis Diaz. Sporting would demand a world-record fee in compensation - Portuguese experts suggest this will be around £25million - if any club wanted to poach Amorim.

But given Hughes’ history with De Zerbi, the former Brighton boss is certainly in the running too. Despite Bayern’s heavy interest in Alonso, the Spaniard is still the front-runner for the job at Anfield and Hughes has a good relationship with the Leverkusen manager’s agent, Inaki Ibanez.

The intermediary helped bring client Andoni Iraola to Hughes’ former employers Bournemouth. Liverpool are keen not to disrespect clubs by approaching their managers directly but there is a feeling they must step up their search soon to avoid being scooped by Bayern and Co.

April and May, therefore, will be key months of background talks. It would be heavily unlikely that any interview process would begin while the season is ongoing but groundwork is being done in both Liverpool and Munich to get their men.

Back
Top Bottom