• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

WC Play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i think we go out tomorrow.

Denmark will score and we won't get 2
I don't know what I think.. but I am very excited. And nervous.

As you say if we manage to score it'll be an uphill task for you lot but that's a big IF isn't it.. I am so not in the mood for a penalty decider btw.

PS Eriksen would take a major step towards immortality if he is to play a blinder today and we'd then manage to qualify for the World Cup. Could happen.

_74204186_tardelliv2.png
When I think of Italy and the World Cup I always picture this

Ha, watching an Italy World Cup match is my very first football memory, circumstances obviously a bit different though ...

Roberto-Baggio-penalty-miss.jpg

Don't see this being as any true reflection on the current Italian squad.

This is more down to the manager and his questionable selections and tactics.

Lorenzo Insigne is one of the top players in Italy and has been brilliant playing up top on the left.

Barely used by Ventura and when he was it was in a central position.

Jorginho should have been called up alot earlier, finally made his debut and he played well - but he should have anchoring this side a long time ago.

But moving on, big void to fill with Buffon, Chiellini & De Rossi retiring.

Lorenzo Insigne is one of the top players in Italy and has been brilliant playing up top on the left.

Jorginho should have been called up alot earlier, finally made his debut and he played well - but he should have anchoring this side a long time ago.

However they do lack that real world class player don't they (maybe apart from in defence but they all seem to retire now). It's very unlike Italy but maybe it's not a coincidence that they now for the first time in like 60 years misses a World Cup as they seem to lack that star quality the likes of Baggio, Del Piero, Totti, Vialli, Rossi etc. used to give them.

To be honest, and I have always cheered for the Italians at the big cups ever since I was a child rooting for Paolo Rossi et al, there's not a single player in their current squad I'll be missing in Russia. Collectively and as a brand/nation, maybe so, but none of the players (maybe apart from Buffon, but he's as old as me so he's been there done that so many times before) to be honest.

Emil Forsberg from Sweden was the best player in that tie and he's heading to Russia and he's got real star potential. And with Zlatan now likely to come out of retirement for one more go at it, it was probably even the best team to progress for the neutral.

Last edited:
However they do lack that real world class player don't they (maybe apart from in defence but they all seem to retire now). It's very unlike Italy but maybe it's not a coincidence that they now for the first time in like 60 years misses a World Cup as they seem to lack that star quality the likes of Baggio, Del Piero, Totti, Vialli, Rossi etc. used to give them.

To be honest, and I have always cheered for the Italians at the big cups ever since I was a child rooting for Giuseppe Rossi et al, there's not a single player in their current squad I'll be missing in Russia. Collectively and as a brand/nation, maybe so, but none of the players (maybe apart from Buffon, but he's as old as me so he's been there done that so many times before) to be honest.

Emil Forsberg from Sweden was the best player in that tie and he's heading to Russia and he's got real star potential. And with Zlatan now likely to come out of retirement for one more go at it, it was probably even the best team to progress for the neutral.

I don't know Your age pal, but for some reason I hope you refer to Paolo Rossi, and not that ex manc Wannabe which have no place among the 500 all time great Italians.

I don't know Your age pal, but for some reason I hope you refer to Paolo Rossi, and not that ex manc Wannabe which have no place among the 500 all time great Italians.
Apparently so old I do not know what I am typing.. cheers for the heads up on my fuck up.

By the way, if we make it tonight it's almost like Norway are heading to Russia as well, right, I mean, with Age at the helm!!

Apparently so old I do not know what I am typing.. cheers for the heads up on my fuck up.

By the way, if we make it tonight it's almost like Norway are heading to Russia as well, right, I mean, with Age at the helm!!

Cheering Denmark and despising Sweden is the closest we get to any Worldcup it seem :cool:

That Italy side was utterly utterly awful. Not one good player in the outfield 10. Are things really that bad for Italian football, or is a lot of it down to being who has been picked to play?

If that is the kind of side they would take to the WC then I'm glad they didn't get through. What I love about World Cups is the mix of expected quality (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France etc) and the wild cards like Senegal in 98. Fuck the Italians.

That Italy side was utterly utterly awful. Not one good player in the outfield 10. Are things really that bad for Italian football, or is a lot of it down to being who has been picked to play?

If that is the kind of side they would take to the WC then I'm glad they didn't get through. What I love about World Cups is the mix of expected quality (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France etc) and the wild cards like Senegal in 98. Fuck the Italians.

I disagree. They were to slow on the ball, but still played Sweden very deep. We have seen many teams be frustrated by opponents that only kick the ball to the stands, and then lay down to waste time at all opportunities. They had their chances, and if they were given the Clear penalty early in second half that game could have been ugly.

How anyone can say Italy was the awful team after watching that Sweden team is a mystery.

I don't know what I think.. but I am very excited. And nervous.

As you say if we manage to score it'll be an uphill task for you lot but that's a big IF isn't it.. I am so not in the mood for a penalty decider btw.

PS Eriksen would take a major step towards immortality if he is to play a blinder today and we'd then manage to qualify for the World Cup. Could happen.

We have a disciplined, hard working but ultimately limited team. That gives us a chance but i just don't see how we go through without a clean sheet.

Why is Bendtner getting on the pitch ahead of Dolberg ?

That's worrying

We have a disciplined, hard working but ultimately limited team. That gives us a chance but i just don't see how we go through without a clean sheet.

That's worrying

Bendtner had a quite good last few months and seem to be in form. Not only based on play in Norway of course, but his game in Europe has looked strong and competitive. He could definetaly be a matchvinner tonight.

That's worrying
Ha ha it's worrying indeed..

Dolberg has had a rough start this season with Huntelaar coming in, a new manager that seems a bit reluctant to play him in his preferred role and a lack of goals. However he's looked way better this past month scoring a brace in the biggest match in Holland, away to Feyenoord and a hat-trick in the cup. So why he's not around is beyond me.

Bendtner has scored like 1 in two for Denmark over the years and has shown signs of form in Norway, is big and strong and perhaps that's why he's got the nod. Wouldn't have got it on my watch, at least not at the expense of Dolberg. There's a pattern though as Jørgensen (a big lad and top scorer in Holland last Season) and Cornelius (an even bigger lad) has also been called up ahead of him.

Maybe Åge felt that he needed muscles ahead of skill. Either way just don't hope it'll come back and bite our arse.. should we progress Dolberg will be around come Summer.

PS I also believe it's highly bewildering that Andreas Christensen doesn't play but it seems we are going for routine rather than actual skill in some positons. Worrying and annoying.

Bendtner has been in great form and scoring for fun lately. In the end thats what you need tonight, someone who can score a goal.

Will be a very close and intense game. 1-1 I reckon. If Ireland score first, you might struggle badly with crowd getting behind the players and creating an atmosphere that will almost lift them to the WC.
If you score first, I cant really see Ireland scoring twice.

Will be a tough and interesting game. Good luck to both.

And barzagli (& I'm sure Bonucci soon too).

Did you read about what happened with De Rossi? They asked him to warm up later on and he said, "Why? We're not trying to draw the game, we need to win this" while pointing at Insigne.

I said after the game the Italian FA needs to re-think how they want to approach the game ... just like the Germans did after their problems. There's some really talented kids - but the league & set up is poor.

Manager is a joke yes - but the players on the pitch struggled to break down a Swedish team that was quite poor.

What an era is ending though ... My favorite memories of these players:

hi-res-ab867fb2e8429777838c1a2e0a93f2b6_crop_exact.jpg

04F6EB270000044D-0-image-a-4_1453810219608.jpg

3c96750d279fbdc1de81dca1cbdce6ae.jpg

italia_fifa_world_champions_italy_national_team_germany_2006_football_soccer_worldcup.jpg

Really struggling to get any work done today.. I AM SO BRICKING IT ALREADY!!

So here's a few thoughts on who you are going to look out for tonight, if you are Irish and don't want to lose that is..

Yussuf Poulsen and Pione Sisto

The former was introduced late in the first match but will hopefully get the nod from the start as he's a real menace for any defence. He doesn't score much but he still plays alongside Werner for RB Leipzig week in week out for a reason. His pace in combination with his strong physique is pretty unique and he never backs down from a tackle either, and he creates lots of space for those around him. He should be terrorizing your defence tonight with his presence alone freeing up space for his teammates (Eriksen).

Sisto had a difficult day in Parken and missed a sitter to boot, however he's the most assisting player in La Liga as it stands and is really enjoying his football. A bit more space tonight, a better pitch and you could end up having all sorts of problems with this one. He can literally turn a player in a phone booth when on song and if he find his feet tonight, he could prove to be the difference between the two teams.

Finally both of our full-backs in Ankersen and Stryger-Larsen will be pushed up I believe and they can both be rather direct and difficult to close down. Again, with a bit more space ahead of them, this could also prove a headache for the boys in green. We'll see. I personally can't wait to get this freaking game kicked off.

Poulsen was described by Irish TV as the Danish Jonathan Walters.

And the comparison looks apt

I disagree. They were to slow on the ball, but still played Sweden very deep. We have seen many teams be frustrated by opponents that only kick the ball to the stands, and then lay down to waste time at all opportunities. They had their chances, and if they were given the Clear penalty early in second half that game could have been ugly.

How anyone can say Italy was the awful team after watching that Sweden team is a mystery.

More about the team in general, than just the playoff. It is a shadow of what you'd expect from an Italian national team.

Italians seem to be laying a lot of hopes, present and future, on Insigne but his international record is nothing to write home about, 3 goals in 21 matches. He should still have come on last night though, just for his creativity, De Rossi was spot on there.

We only know one way to play; we work hard, fight for every tackle, defend like demons and eke out the odd chance or set piece. In nearly 50 years of watching Ireland I have probably seen only 3 or 4 games that could genuinely be called entertaining. That said, for us Irish, we get our kicks by watching our "plucky underdogs" over perform and the excitement is always there because of what's at stake. I would never recommend any neutrals to watch us.

Wtf? We had some great attacking displays and some wonderful football just not in the last 15 years.

50 years is a crazy claim

Crazy we've had what 5 0-0's since Sweden scored.

Borefest

We can do it tonight just depends which Denmark turn up

Ireland spend more than 22 minutes on time wasting in Parken on Saturday.. no fucking wonder it was awful viewing from the stands.

Anyway, surely the proud green supporters won't allow this at home, right.. RIGHT!?

Wtf? We had some great attacking displays and some wonderful football just not in the last 15 years.

50 years is a crazy claim

Really? I'd like to see somebody name a handful. We were decent to watch under McCarthy, but we've been shite to watch for the most part for as long as I can remember.

Rumoured starting XI for Denmark tonight:

..................................Schmeichel.............................
A Christensen.....Kjaer............Bjelland..........Stryger
.........................Kvist.................Delaney...................
......................................Eriksen................................
Yussuf................................................................Sisto
...................................Cornelius.................................

Bit of a surprise that Chelsea central defender AC seems to be picked for the RB position ahead of Ankersen - could have something to do with our defending/attacking on set-pieces mind. Otherwise more or less as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom