• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The next 6 games to decide the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing im worried about is we might drop say 8 points in this tricky run, which might fuel a 'wheels coming off' narrative and crank up the pressure.

But 8 points would be ok as long as evrybody keeps their heads after that, but you know how fragile our confidence can be! Beating Leicester would be a huge start to this run.

But 8 points would be ok as long as evrybody keeps their heads after that, but you know how fragile our confidence can be! Beating Leicester would be a huge start to this run.

I think the key is to not lose anymore points than Man City. If they drop 8 then us dropping 8 is ok although any less would be superb. Leicester are irrelevant in terms of title discussions

Im thinking about the Anfield atmosphere getting hysterical, the press saying we are bottling it...which then might affect the players.

Lets just keep beating everybody so I dont have to think about it!

Wolves will have a massive say in this. If they get any points out of City and we beat them and Leicester it’s one hand on the trophy.

I'm gonna be in town watching the wolves game, I'm really, really hoping we've pulled maximum points from them both & I can cheer Sheff Utd on against city in the pub knowing if they take points off them that their challenge is all but over.

City can only finish on 98 points even if they win every game...every 2 points dropped by them is huge now. Couple more slip ups over xmas and its going to kill them off, if the most they can get from then is low to mid 90s, even with a perfect run.

Last edited:
City can only finish on 98 points even if they win every game...every 2 points dropped by them is huge now. Couple more slip ups over xmas and its going to kill them off, if the most they can get from then is low to mid 90s, even with a perfect run.
We need 2.63 pts per game (from 19 games) to reach 99 pts and guarantee winning it. Leicester have won 2.16 pts per game to date (18 games) and City 2.11 (18).

City aren't going to win 18 games on the bounce. They'll drop points somewhere so lets say 15 wins and 3 draws, that means we'll need just 92 pts to win it or another 43 pts which means just 2.26 points a game. Putting that in context 2.26 ppg equates to virtually enough to finish 2nd or 3rd over a whole season. Or to put it another way : W13 D4 L 2 be good enough.

OOPS (sorry Mista D) ! Fucked up thinking only 36 games a season :whistle:

Updated !

Last edited:
The devil is in the details:

2016 he had only just arrived and we had a crap team.
2017 much like 2016, team overhaul far far from complete
2018 wasn't bad considering we had a horrendous injury list
2019 we were really unlucky away at City (1.5cms FFS) but that cost us the PL (IMHO). Leicester at home was in those atrocious weather conditions where I still remember Mo getting 5-7m run on a defender (on more than the one occasion) yet always being caught within 15-20m because the ball wouldn't run through on the waterlogged pitch. I can not plame the team for not winning that - the match should have been called off. We won our other two.

I doubt this January will be as bad as any of the above despite the fact our next 6 are tough games.
@Frogfish - the 2019 assessment is not something i can take. You left out 3 games we should have won givem the state of the opposition at the time, West Ham, Everton, And Man United. They were in bad shape, leading upto our away games with thise teams, and given our form we should have beaten at least one of those teams. I can forgive us for not beating city and drawing with leicester at home because of the conditions on that night. Honestly I think we could have been braver in the three games i have listed. Feels like when we went behind by 1pt to city then we realised we had to be braver and win every fucking game.

@Frogfish - the 2019 assessment is not something i can take. You left out 3 games we should have won givem the state of the opposition at the time, West Ham, Everton, And Man United. They were in bad shape, leading upto our away games with thise teams, and given our form we should have beaten at least one of those teams. I can forgive us for not beating city and drawing with leicester at home because of the conditions on that night. Honestly I think we could have been braver in the three games i have listed. Feels like when we went behind by 1pt to city then we realised we had to be braver and win every fucking game.
Well to be fair in your assessment you have left out every game in which City dropped points ! Surely they should have won all of them too ? Let's have a degree of realism eh.

The maximum they can now reach is 92 pts not 98 pts. We need 2.31 pts per game (from 19 games) to reach 93 pts and guarantee winning it. Leicester have won 2.16 pts per game to date (18 games) and City 2.11 (18).

City aren't going to win 18 games on the bounce. They'll drop points somewhere so lets say 15 wins and 3 draws, that means we'll need just 87 pts to win it or another 38 pts which means just 2.0 points a game. Putting that in context 2.0 ppg equates to virtually enough to finish 3rd or 4th over a whole season. Or to put it another way : W11 D5 L3 would be good enough.

You might want to check your math. City can get 98 if they win all their remaining games. Unlikely but not impossible with their squad and history over the last two seasons.

How long do we stay with a game in hand? Looks to be about 2 months? Would be nice to keep the gap around where it is then destroy hope by winning that extra match.

however i just want us to get through the next 3-4 with wins then we can properly assess. Not even half way through yet!

You might want to check your math. City can get 98 if they win all their remaining games. Unlikely but not impossible with their squad and history over the last two seasons.
Haha I seem to have teleported to the future where the PL only plays 36 games a year .. somehow (thereby giving one team a week a rest).

I was thinking to myself what would be prestigious;
A. Doing the double of CL and League. Winning the league with 101+ points and going unbeaten
B. Winning the treble but no points or unbeaten record.
I couldn't decide which option is better.

This time last year we were 7 points ahead and went on to lose the league

this year it’s that we are 10 points ahead.

it’s not that different at all. We could blow it again if VVD got injured for example

we’ve made a lot of luck and it will go against us at some point so please stop all this hypothetical baloney

next game is all that counts

A. Doing the double of CL and League. Winning the league with 101+ points and going unbeaten

Eh, B, every fucking time.

Treble followed by double.

Fuck the records and points

This time last year we were 7 points ahead and went on to lose the league

this year it’s that we are 10 points ahead.

it’s not that different at all. We could blow it again if VVD got injured for example

we’ve made a lot of luck and it will go against us at some point so please stop all this hypothetical baloney

next game is all that counts

Not really the same at all. We are 11 pts ahead of City with a game in hand so essentially we have double the lead.

Leicester are irrelevant

Not really the same at all. We are 11 pts ahead of City with a game in hand so essentially we have double the lead.

Leicester are irrelevant

That kind of arrogance causes banana skins. Next game only please, or have you forgotten we've come second four times in the past 16 years.

That kind of arrogance causes banana skins. Next game only please, or have you forgotten we've come second four times in the past 16 years.

Not arrogant at all. Just pointing out that the situations are vastly different. We also only assumed top spot over this period last year and City had a big dip in consecutive games. This year we’ve lead from from early on and bar the Utd weekend we’ve extended our league again and again.

Good points - I just don’t want to make presumptions on performance and results. We have a lot of games in a short time coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom