• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The next 6 games to decide the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibromurph

Well-Known
Our next 6 games are against solid teams who all play well against top sides:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Thu 26 Dec 20:00{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}LEI (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 29 Dec 16:30{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}WOL (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thu 2 Jan 20:00{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}SHU (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 11 Jan 17:30{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}TOT (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 19 Jan 16:30{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}MUN (H){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thu 23 Jan 20:00{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}WOL (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
If we can come out of that with at least 14 out of 18 points, I think we'll have one hand on the title.

In that time, City have a slightly easier run of fixtures where you'd expect them to pick up maximum points:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Fri 27 Dec 19:45{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}WOL (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 29 Dec 18:00{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}SHU (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Wed 1 Jan 17:30{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}EVE (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 12 Jan 16:30{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}AVL (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 18 Jan 15:00{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}CRY (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tue 21 Jan 19:30{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}SHU (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
They need to make up serious ground on us in that time and hope the momentum will take them through their next set of fixtures which looks quite tough:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sun 2 Feb 16:30{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}TOT (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 9 Feb 16:30{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}WHU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 22 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}LEI (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 1 Mar 14:00{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}ARS (H){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 7 Mar 15:00{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}MUN (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 14 Mar 15:00{/td}
{td}30{/td}
{td}BUR (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 21 Mar 15:00{/td}
{td}31{/td}
{td}CHE (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
During this time, we have an *easy (on paper)* run of fixtures, which will take us into the CL knockout phases, where I suspect City will now start to prioritise that (if they are 10+point behind still).

Until we play City, our next bunch of games:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sat 1 Feb 15:00{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}SOU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 15 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}NOR (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Mon 24 Feb 20:00{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}WHU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 29 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}WAT (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}29{/td}
{td}BOU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30{/td}
{td}EVE (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}31{/td}
{td}CRY (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
All game i'd expect us to win, although Everton (A) will be tough if Ancelotti teaches them how to park the bus against us ala Napoli.

==

So essentially these next 6 are where City need to make up serious points on us. After that, we have 7 fixtures that you'd expect at least 19pts from, and they have 7 fixtures (in and around CL fixtures with Real Madrid) that they'd need to get maximum points from.

How many points do you think we need to discourage Man City over the next 6? and how many do you think we will get?

I don't think the result between Man City and Shefield United is a dead certain win for City, when I look at Shefield United - I honestly see a team full of the spirit of our left back Robbo. It would not surprise me if that turned out to be a draw or even a win for Shefield United for both the home and away fixture. Also the game against Wolves for City away - not certain, and neither is the Chelsea away fixture for them.

As for us - every game is going to be laboured and uncertain until the final whistle, that is how we have been playing for most of this season, so I am saying every game we have is a 50/50. If we still have a 10 point lead by March then I will start believing.

Just take it one game at a time, I know its boring but thats the best option.

Yea this. These threads never really work out. Plus the amount of fixtures still upcoming, there are of variables. The carabo cup is 2 legged and city will have to field a decent team for a derby.

Been thinking that myself. If we can get through January with our lead mostly intact, then I'll start to get confident. Currently I am just aware of how quickly our big lead can get diminished. One game at a time is right - if only we can keep winning...

It really depends how many they get.

If they get 18:18 we need the same.

As I said elsewhere if we draw on St Stephens day then City will be 9pts back playing a game more and sniffing a chance especially with a game against us to come.

I think we need to match their points total as a minimum over the next 6.

Our next 6 games are against solid teams who all play well against top sides:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Thu 26 Dec 20:00{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}LEI (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 29 Dec 16:30{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}WOL (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thu 2 Jan 20:00{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}SHU (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 11 Jan 17:30{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}TOT (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 19 Jan 16:30{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}MUN (H){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thu 23 Jan 20:00{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}WOL (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
If we can come out of that with at least 14 out of 18 points, I think we'll have one hand on the title.

In that time, City have a slightly easier run of fixtures where you'd expect them to pick up maximum points:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Fri 27 Dec 19:45{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}WOL (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 29 Dec 18:00{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}SHU (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Wed 1 Jan 17:30{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}EVE (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 12 Jan 16:30{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td}AVL (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 18 Jan 15:00{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}CRY (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tue 21 Jan 19:30{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}SHU (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
They need to make up serious ground on us in that time and hope the momentum will take them through their next set of fixtures which looks quite tough:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sun 2 Feb 16:30{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}TOT (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 9 Feb 16:30{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}WHU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 22 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}LEI (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sun 1 Mar 14:00{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}ARS (H){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}29{/td}
{td}MUN (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30{/td}
{td}BUR (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}31{/td}
{td}CHE (A){/td}
{td}4{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
During this time, we have an *easy (on paper)* run of fixtures, which will take us into the CL knockout phases, where I suspect City will now start to prioritise that (if they are 10+point behind still).

Until we play City, our next bunch of games:

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Sat 1 Feb 15:00{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}SOU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 15 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}NOR (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Mon 24 Feb 20:00{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}WHU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sat 29 Feb 17:30{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}WAT (A){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}29{/td}
{td}BOU (H){/td}
{td}2{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30{/td}
{td}EVE (A){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}31{/td}
{td}CRY (H){/td}
{td}3{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
All game i'd expect us to win, although Everton (A) will be tough if Ancelotti teaches them how to park the bus against us ala Napoli.

==

So essentially these next 6 are where City need to make up serious points on us. After that, we have 7 fixtures that you'd expect at least 19pts from, and they have 7 fixtures (in and around CL fixtures with Real Madrid) that they'd need to get maximum points from.

How many points do you think we need to discourage Man City over the next 6? and how many do you think we will get?

I think you're right, the next 6 with two encounters with Wolves as well as Leicester, Sheffield, Spurs and United looks quite tough – every one of those teams will present a proper challenge. I would be happy as long as we win at least 3 and go unbeaten. We can then go on another winning run against the dross of the league starting in February and Klopp's teams always finish the season strongly. December-January is when we usually have a wobble and let's hope we navigate this period as smoothly as possible without any drastic changes to our season trajectory.

Last edited:
Boxing Day could be huge, IF we can win at Leicester and city don't pick up full points at wolves I think it's all over and I think they'll be content to focus on the 3 cup competitions. That said, if they gain points on us on boxing Day then we could be in for a race to the line over the next few months.

December-January is when we usually have a wobble and let's hope we navigate this period as smoothly as possibly without any drastic changes to our season trajectory.
Yeah, let's hope our record in Jan improves
EL4cakiUEAAzHlY
EL5gcdiVAAAj3H_

I've been saying for quite a while that this style of play 'just enough to win the game' we've adopted, is all about keeping us more consistent into the periods where we usually drop points due to our performance levels dropping.

January is the big test of that, cos that's when we're gonna need to find extra reserves to get over the line in games, & you'd hope the energy saved (relative to our normal style of play) & that will to win & belief we've fostered over the course of this season, is going to be needed.

I've been saying for quite a while that this style of play 'just enough to win the game' we've adopted, is all about keeping us more consistent into the periods where we usually drop points due to our performance levels dropping.

January is the big test of that, cos that's when we're gonna need to find extra reserves to get over the line in games, & you'd hope the energy saved (relative to our normal style of play) & that will to win & belief we've fostered over the course of this season, is going to be needed.
The difference in the ranges of our performance levels in this season and past seasons under Klopp is evident.its far less rampant and exhaustive, far more controlled, drilling away at sides over the full 90 minutes, goals in bursts after half ti e and towards full time- our game managment is far superior to what weve previously seen.

Cant remember when i last heard the often repeated 'this Liverpool side doesnt know how to do anything but attack'

I think give the Squad and kids the FA cup and I also think we have enough options with mini , fab , matip and lovren returning to mix up the side that faces Atletico
As for whats required, simply matching city and leicester will do it. If we have a 10pt lead in 10 matches time.....then ,er, good

He'd normally give the kids the FA Cup but the ev haven't won at Anfield for 20 years. Is he gonna risk that?
I can't see it. Esp now they have Ancelloti in, the last thing he'll want is to give an impression that they can now beat us, at Anfield, cos of their new manager.

He'll go with a pretty strong side I reckon.

He'd normally give the kids the FA Cup but the ev haven't won at Anfield for 20 years. Is he gonna risk that?
I hope he takes the approach as he did for the league game. Rest players who need a rest. Trust the understudies. If we could match M.City results until the end of January that's what matters to me.

Keep forgetting we have Minamino coming in. What a lovely early Christmas present! If he hits the ground running, hell really help keep our momentum.

Just take it one game at a time, I know its boring but thats the best option.
I'm confused. Do we actually have another option ? Like skipping straight to the last game of the season and the award ceremony ? I'd skip to that but then I think of all the highs we would miss in the interim !

I hope he takes the approach as he did for the league game. Rest players who need a rest. Trust the understudies. If we could match M.City results until the end of January that's what matters to me.
If you look at the schedules we would have to play out of our skulls to achieve that .. and the league would be done. However if you are talking matching by the end of February that is another matter.

*our next 6 are hard, theirs easy, then for the next six the difficulty level reverses for both.

This Is incredible. Jan is a shocker. He obviously lets his teams have a great new year!
The devil is in the details:

2016 he had only just arrived and we had a crap team.
2017 much like 2016, team overhaul far far from complete
2018 wasn't bad considering we had a horrendous injury list
2019 we were really unlucky away at City (1.5cms FFS) but that cost us the PL (IMHO). Leicester at home was in those atrocious weather conditions where I still remember Mo getting 5-7m run on a defender (on more than the one occasion) yet always being caught within 15-20m because the ball wouldn't run through on the waterlogged pitch. I can not plame the team for not winning that - the match should have been called off. We won our other two.

I doubt this January will be as bad as any of the above despite the fact our next 6 are tough games.

I can't see it. Esp now they have Ancelloti in, the last thing he'll want is to give an impression that they can now beat us, at Anfield, cos of their new manager.

He'll go with a pretty strong side I reckon.

Not to mention ‘the treble’ is still on.

Would be amazing to win that while adding the super cup and WCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom