• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tott-ming ham H(5 May).4.30

Won't the failure to cooperate charges extend till now?
I believe they will. Those charges extended until the date when they were originally made, but the PL will have plenty of time to add further years if they choose too.
And remember, the other clubs charged filed accounts that showed they breached the limits so they were technically guilty already, it was just a matter of explanation / mitigation. There was also an inference that Everton had made errors / inappropriate interpretations, but they were up-front about that.
City’s numbers suggest all is OK but the PL allege deliberate misinformation / false accounting.
In short - Forest and Everton’s numbers add up to the wrong answer, City’s don’t add-up at all.

And Chelsea are potentially in the same boat as City in the Abramovich years, but not as blatant. For last season they stand accused of taking the piss - they exploited loopholes that the PL left in the rules, but technically they didn’t do anything “wrong”. Kind of like a company avoiding tax because they can get around badly-drafted rules. They’re not breaking the law but any layman will say it’s wrong, they’re taking the piss, and eventually the government will change the rules to stop it.

It's funny and all... But look at how the football press, jolting instinctively from personality-driven narrative to narrative, from up to down, always click bait farming, never thinking --digested klopps earnest call for the welfare of the game.

You have a tv network, who klopp specifically said he'd never work for, meme making. Never mind that klopp did want to be working at 1230, he just wanted that job to be trying to make a team play better football, and not "help make tv more money." The two are actually necessarily linked, but klopp has been right on this issue for day one. Fox is in the henhouse, and they're joking about the only chicken consistently warning about it. Klopp got burned out on the schedule too. Doing fucking interviews a day after the post match interview, about the next match, which couldn't be combined due to embargo. Knowing you can't really do your job, while having to answer snide questions about scheduling. All because they keep squeezing.

What else could they do but keep picking the game all of us had to watch because we are legion. They kept picking the game they wanted to make money from, agnostic to any other consideration. They kept making the only choice they could, and we had the worst schedule of any team because of it. Arsenal had the best and a bit of luck, and are a better team as well, but our team didn't really have a chance to coalesce. It's actually easier to figure that out without Europe, something I'd have rather have missed out on entirely.

I've been feeling it for ages. The football is worse these days. We know there are more injuries. We've gone from good teams to good squads. Different challenge, sure, but is it better? Used to be a squad like ours would be more than enough. Now the games are so frequent that there is a cascade effect to injuries. Squads are deep but once one position starts crumbling, you overplay players leading to injuries in that same position.

The quality of football is worse with no time to actually learn how to do anything. Tactical planning is more limited, and also involves subs that aren't so much tactical as sports science. Absolutely necessary, absolutely correct reaction. Is that better though? I don't think so.

CB pairings that defined eras, front lines that developed telepathy, we know it can happen but that used to happen with a whole side at its best. That could happen too but it's less likely, a side has to be young and lucky and robust. Grindy dependable players have increased in value. Playing players out of position has increased, not due to tactical hubris, but due to necessity. Swiss army knife players have increased value. Is that better?

Last edited:
Any and all of these ideas need looking at. I’m sure you’ll all have some others to add. Feel like I may have gone a bit Jerry Maguire here…

We need fewer games. That probably means dropping the League to 18 teams.
We need fewer / shorter VAR stoppages.
We don’t need 9 minutes stoppage time every game, especially when the result isn’t going to change. If a team has a 2+ goal lead, just blow up on 90 minutes. If a team has taken the piss time-wasting, fine them, like they do in cricket for slow over-rates. Or book players more aggressively for taking the piss, time-wise.
We don’t need more European games because UEFA wants to mess about with the formats.
Teams picked for TV should be able to agree kick-off times with TV networks, particularly around European or other mid-week commitments, or where the kick-off times make travel really difficult for fans.
Scrap the League Cup. Send more money down the pyramid to compensate the EFL clubs.
Create a more meaningful reserve competition to give more games to the kids.
Incentivise youth development and opportunities (e.g. divide out a pot of TV money and distribute it based on minutes played by under 22s or something).
We need fewer, but longer, international breaks - e.g. a three-week break with four games. Gives national coaches longer to work with their players and allows plenty of time for players to travel to/from different time zones before and after games.
No mid-season tournaments, other than where climate requires it (ie AFCON / Asia Cup). That means no World Cups in Saudi etc.
Shorter tournaments - 3-team groups to shorten the group stages by a week. Group winner plus x runners-up to give same number of teams in both group stages and knock-outs. Just means more teams get knocked out earlier and adds jeopardy / excitement to group stages rather than having 1 meaningful game and two walk-overs for each strong side.
Players and fans first, money second. That means players may need to take a bit less money, but they’ll probably manage longer, less injury-ridden careers and will come out of it better. Plus if they manage an extra year or two on the end of their careers, inflation will dictate they probably make more across their whole career.

Any and all of these ideas need looking at. I’m sure you’ll all have some others to add. Feel like I may have gone a bit Jerry Maguire here…

We need fewer games. That probably means dropping the League to 18 teams.
We need fewer / shorter VAR stoppages.
We don’t need 9 minutes stoppage time every game, especially when the result isn’t going to change. If a team has a 2+ goal lead, just blow up on 90 minutes. If a team has taken the piss time-wasting, fine them, like they do in cricket for slow over-rates. Or book players more aggressively for taking the piss, time-wise.
We don’t need more European games because UEFA wants to mess about with the formats.
Teams picked for TV should be able to agree kick-off times with TV networks, particularly around European or other mid-week commitments, or where the kick-off times make travel really difficult for fans.
Scrap the League Cup. Send more money down the pyramid to compensate the EFL clubs.
Create a more meaningful reserve competition to give more games to the kids.
Incentivise youth development and opportunities (e.g. divide out a pot of TV money and distribute it based on minutes played by under 22s or something).
We need fewer, but longer, international breaks - e.g. a three-week break with four games. Gives national coaches longer to work with their players and allows plenty of time for players to travel to/from different time zones before and after games.
No mid-season tournaments, other than where climate requires it (ie AFCON / Asia Cup). That means no World Cups in Saudi etc.
Shorter tournaments - 3-team groups to shorten the group stages by a week. Group winner plus x runners-up to give same number of teams in both group stages and knock-outs. Just means more teams get knocked out earlier and adds jeopardy / excitement to group stages rather than having 1 meaningful game and two walk-overs for each strong side.
Players and fans first, money second. That means players may need to take a bit less money, but they’ll probably manage longer, less injury-ridden careers and will come out of it better. Plus if they manage an extra year or two on the end of their careers, inflation will dictate they probably make more across their whole career.
I couldn’t figure a way to reply to all of this. I do agree with most of it.

I’m game for an 18 team league. We’ve basically had a 19 league this season with the pitiful Sheffield United and I think Ipswich will be the same next season.

I would scrap the 12:30 kick off following an international break. Move it to 19:30 or in a Sunday. Thinking of fans, the only way Ipswich get on the telly if they play a London team. Possibly Brighton too. Newcastle would barely get a game other than 17:30 Saturday or 14:00 Sunday. I’m supportive of the idea but those barriers means it’s a nonstarter with broadcasters.

I wholeheartedly agree with time wasters and take it even further. A flick to the face doesn’t constitute a head injury or foul. The fannies need to cut that out.

Probably the biggest blocker is wages. We all know agents and players are greedy cunts.

Instead of scrapping the League cup altogether you could stop any team that had qualified for european football from competing so they had less games. It would also give the smaller/less successful clubs more of an opportunity to win a trophy.

Stop the 90' clock for on field injuries and VAR calls - no need for referees to guess added time?

Then we will all know where we are with elapsed time.

We don’t need 9 minutes stoppage time every game, especially when the result isn’t going to change. If a team has a 2+ goal lead, just blow up on 90 minutes. If a team has taken the piss time-wasting, fine them, like they do in cricket for slow over-rates.
Sorry mate but that is just nuts - look at how many games have had multiple goals scored after 90 mins this season. Changing the result. And 'slow over fines' don't help the opposing team who'll have less time to find an equaliser/winner.

There are rare occasions where a team might need to win by 3-4 goals to win the title or stay up or might need a favour from elsewhere that requires a bigger goal swing. What then?

Nothing wrong with there being 6-10 mins added on.

Always thought the 2-4mins we always got was ridiculous given the ball was in play on average 52mins back then. Now we have far more going on like the number of subs each team can make.

I'd like a league to try the stop the clock method. It would be absolute chaos

Sorry mate but that is just nuts - look at how many games have had multiple goals scored after 90 mins this season. Changing the result. And 'slow over fines' don't help the opposing team who'll have less time to find an equaliser/winner.
Yeah, but I think if they know there won't be loads of stoppage time then there's more impetus to score in the 90. But Intake your point and I accept some of that won't work for everyone, but helpful to encourage debate.
My concern about the stoppage time is that I think all that extra time on tired legs / players recovering from injury, makes more muscle / straining injuries likely, even if they don't occur right there and then. And it puts more pressure on managers to manage the minutes of players in the red zone.

What if they... punished people for wasting time, if they don't want people wasting time.

Or, I guess they could randomly refuse to do that, still reward it by breaking up play, then contemplate wholesale changes to the game for some reason?

It’s a “flag day” on the Kop today. Hypocritical fucking wankers. Contributed to us leaving Europe with a whimper for a shit cause. Now nothing has changed they want to whip out the flags again.

Pricks.

It would require a huge overhaul in playing time. Can't genuinely have a 90 minute match with zero stoppages.

The 6 second rule for the GK is still somehow there but never used. If they can just stop them spending 30-60 secs on a goal kick then the game will be mostly fine.

I like the idea of giving a corner as punishment if you spend more than x amount of time taking the goal kick.

The 6 second rule for the GK is still somehow there but never used. If they can just stop them spending 30-60 secs on a goal kick then the game will be mostly fine.

I like the idea of giving a corner as punishment if you spend more than x amount of time taking the goal kick.
All it takes is a keeper to be sent off after two offences to make it stop.

That rule might as well not exist. It's never penalised. Genuinely feels like they'd rather enjoy the spectacle of the game than ref the game properly

The 6 second rule is meant to be for when they have it in their hands, not for goal kicks

Starting in the rumored team:

Alisson, Trent, Quansah, Virgil, Robbo, Elliott, Endo, Macca, Salah, Gakpo, Diaz
hmmm. szobs not beating the allegations he's a bit jarg today then

Back
Top Bottom