• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it or not, FSG have a principle that every business they own has to be self-sustainable. For them, if they have to dip into their own pockets to buy us a player, that's a management failure and that's just not going to happen.

Is that a bad thing? There are plenty of more "generous" owners, but a lot of them do dip into their own funds precisely because they need to cover up their own mismanagement. On the other hand, there are owners who never invest or improve and just bleed the club dry. The only true criteria to judge which approach is merited is success on the pitch and FSG has delivered it.

Having £140m in the bank from Barca for Coutinho the previous January, and having another CL campaign to look forward to didn't half help matters in terms of summer of 2018 spending.
I don't like them myself, never have. I don't expect spending like City United Chelsea to name 3, but I've no time for them running the Club on a shoestring. They've done it since they got here to now.

Their approach to owning and running our football club is clearly working.

Their approach to owning and running our football club is clearly working.

I don't attribute our success to FSG. They did well in appointing Klopp, the obvious choice really, but they still had to go and get him so fair play. Hiring Edwards was another massive factor so fair play again. Other than that, I put our success down to the aforementioned Klopp & Edwards.
As for bigger stand, new training ground etc...that's really just to add value to the Club when they sell up isn't it. I've no issue with that either, I've just no time for their tight arse/miserable ways when it comes to player transfers.

Under FSG, Red Sox won the world series after 80 or so years. They then won it two more times under different general managers and coaches I believe. And the last time they won it, the Red Sox broke all sorts of records.

If they repeat our league and CL success a couple of times more, particularly under a different manager, they will go down as all-time great sports owners.

I am also sometimes irritated at the way we do not spend but can't fault FSG for their track record. It is easier to praise the way we do our transfers now, but there was a time when Edwards and our transfer committee got pelters from everyone. They stuck with it and found the right manager.

We'll sign Thiago when Bayern are finished in the CL. Imagine the furore if we were still in it and someone was trying to sign Mane or Salah.

There you have it. We cannot spend what we do not have.

They can, and should allow Klopp to sign players against future transfer funds, We won theCL,Super Cup WCC and the title and how much have they spent on new players..? Fucking joke if you think that we are going to be as competive next season

FSG have got a lower per season spend than Hicks and Gillette. If it wasn't for Klopp we'd be fucked

It amazes me that some still see FSG as the knights in shining amour... We won what we have because of Klopp and inspite of FSG, not because of them

Under FSG, Red Sox won the world series after 80 or so years. They then won it two more times under different general managers and coaches I believe. And the last time they won it, the Red Sox broke all sorts of records.

If they repeat our league and CL success a couple of times more, particularly under a different manager, they will go down as all-time great sports owners.

I am also sometimes irritated at the way we do not spend but can't fault FSG for their track record. It is easier to praise the way we do our transfers now, but there was a time when Edwards and our transfer committee got pelters from everyone. They stuck with it and found the right manager.

Baseball,Soccer,NBA,NFL and IceHockey teams in the State do not get religated, I wonder how well that Model would have faired if they did

Sigh. I’ve told you this before. Do not spend what we don’t have. We have no idea when stadiums will be open. We don’t even know if we will get a champions league next year.

Like I said the Revenues from the Merchandising must increased, all those extra shirts with CL, WCC, The Title , and the ones just add to

New Balance gave us absolutely fuck all extra. And lack of champions league could take us under.

The figures some footy finance expert said on a podcast was we'll lose a minimum of 100m next season, & that's WITH an assumption we'll be back to full stadia by the new year & the CL is played to conclusion.

We lost somewhere between 20 - 30m this season, plus an amount no one can seem to work out lost on potential revenue the league title & events around it would have raised.

Neither estimate takes into account the fact that sky are currently saying every team will need to pay back 66m based on this seasons lost revenue or any revised tv deals, or local impact (like the club deciding to pay food supply businesses etc for their full contracts for this season & next even though they don't know when fans will be back).

Bear in mind transfers are made usually with staggered payments & some of the income will therefore already be spoken for, & that AFAIK there's been no agreement to cut wages (something I assumed that by now the PL, PFA & esp the EFL would have all had done) or the distinct possibility that the PL clubs will end up arranging much bigger trickle down payments to keep lower league clubs afloat.

Sigh. I’ve told you this before. Do not spend what we don’t have. We have no idea when stadiums will be open. We don’t even know if we will get a champions league next year.
Oh I think we do. UEFA will have them playing in masks and with sticky out rubber arms to ensure 1m social distancing ... but for sure it'll go ahead.

The figures some footy finance expert said on a podcast was we'll lose a minimum of 100m next season, & that's WITH an assumption we'll be back to full stadia by the new year & the CL is played to conclusion.

We lost somewhere between 20 - 30m this season, plus an amount no one can seem to work out lost on potential revenue the league title & events around it would have raised.

Neither estimate takes into account the fact that sky are currently saying every team will need to pay back 66m based on this seasons lost revenue or any revised tv deals, or local impact (like the club deciding to pay food supply businesses etc for their full contracts for this season & next even though they don't know when fans will be back).

Bear in mind transfers are made usually with staggered payments & some of the income will therefore already be spoken for, & that AFAIK there's been no agreement to cut wages (something I assumed that by now the PL, PFA & esp the EFL would have all had done) or the distinct possibility that the PL clubs will end up arranging much bigger trickle down payments to keep lower league clubs afloat.

£533m income in the last accounts - 68% going to wages - and I think the revenue split was something like 40/30/30 prize money/commercial revenue/match day revenue.

I’m sure I read somewhere that income was expected to drop 40-60% until back to normal - which potentially explains why we’re holding off committing to major transfer expenditure for now.

I thought this had already been agreed and it was something along the lines of £20-30m?

It won’t if you get quarantine when returning from certain countries.
They'll play all the games in the Scilly Isles just to be safe. Home games on the Isle of St Mary's, Away games on the island of Tresco. They'll round up the goats for spectators.

It amazes me that some still see FSG as the knights in shining amour... We won what we have because of Klopp and inspite of FSG, not because of them

Jesus Christ. How can't people see the benefits that come from investments into the overall club's infrastructure versus continual short-term investment in the squad. We have a new main stand, we have a whole new training facility. We have almost doubled the wage bill. Why aren't people looking at these investments in keeping great players as such great positives?

EDIT: If Covid19 hadn't happened we would be dropping cash on the new Anfield Rd stand too, but that is all up in the air. Who knows what financial impact there is on delaying this and whether we are expecting costs to go up (either the cost of building w/ new measures or the opportunity cost of losing fans if it takes longer)

We also don't know what else will happen this year, but if the club wants to stay within its means for a year (whilst still investing where essential, e.g. LB) I am ok with that. Other clubs need to spend hundreds of millions to catch us.

Theory - how much of this FSG out rhetoric is coming from those watching our games post lockdown and deciding that we are going to play at this lack of intensity or focus next season? This was such a unique position to be in - playing behind closed doors with a 20 point lead at the top of the table knowing there is only a 3 week break before the next 'pre season' starts again.

Once next season starts and we see the team playing at full pelt I think we'll see these groans disappear.

Theory - how much of this FSG out rhetoric is coming from those watching our games post lockdown and deciding that we are going to play at this lack of intensity or focus next season? This was such a unique position to be in - playing behind closed doors with a 20 point lead at the top of the table knowing there is only a 3 week break before the next 'pre season' starts again.

Once next season starts and we see the team playing at full pelt I think we'll see these groans disappear.
Hahaha.

Whilst I agree, everyone will completely forget that we play fairly poorly & almost unpredictably, whilst often grinding results out painfully, for the first fair few games of the season, with the occasional game or glimpse of brilliance, but mostly tired, overrun & heavy legged.

That's when all this (partly justified, partly silly) hyperbole regards not buying new players will hit it's heights.

I wonder how much it will subside when we see other things emerge:

United reverting back to their mean
Chelsea remaining inconsitent
City without David Silva & Fernandinho + an ageing Aguero

The Liverpool board has told boss Jurgen Klopp to sell players such as Guinea midfielder Naby Keita, 25, to fund a move for Bayern Munich and Spain midfielder Thiago, 29.

https://www.kicker.de/4000000034681...die-reds-mehr-als-nur-ein-problem-der-abloese

If we do have to sell a player to fund Thiago I would sooner it be AOC than Keita, and if that choice boils down to Keita and Thiago we should keep Keita. At 25 Keita will only get better, While Thiago has hit his peak

So little difference between FSG and Mike Ashley
This story, in another guise, originated with Duncan Castles. Now, I don’t have to tell you this, but Castles reporting on internal discussions at Liverpool is the epitome of bullsh1t. That is all.

It’s almost like there isn’t enough money left after huge bonuses to players and staff, redeveloped stadium and training facilities followed by a drop in income due to a pandemic.
Who would have thought that the pot was not limitless, eh? We’re now properly rewarding players for tangible results. Long may it continue.

Having £140m in the bank from Barca for Coutinho the previous January, and having another CL campaign to look forward to didn't half help matters in terms of summer of 2018 spending.
I don't like them myself, never have. I don't expect spending like City United Chelsea to name 3, but I've no time for them running the Club on a shoestring. They've done it since they got here to now.

Their first summer they gave Dalglish about 80 million which a decade ago was a massive investment, particularly since we had no European football. Before Klopp we had one shite season in the CL so the money in was very low on that end. They've invested heavily in the stadium and the training ground. They're not fans of the team, they're business people and they're very good business people. They're not going to throw big money around in uncertain times where matchday revenues have been decimated. They could afford to, but they won't and that's their call. Is it perfect? No. Have they made far more right moves than wrong in the last few years? Definitely

Jesus Christ. How can't people see the benefits that come from investments into the overall club's infrastructure versus continual short-term investment in the squad. We have a new main stand, we have a whole new training facility. We have almost doubled the wage bill. Why aren't people looking at these investments in keeping great players as such great positives?

EDIT: If Covid19 hadn't happened we would be dropping cash on the new Anfield Rd stand too, but that is all up in the air. Who knows what financial impact there is on delaying this and whether we are expecting costs to go up (either the cost of building w/ new measures or the opportunity cost of losing fans if it takes longer)

We also don't know what else will happen this year, but if the club wants to stay within its means for a year (whilst still investing where essential, e.g. LB) I am ok with that. Other clubs need to spend hundreds of millions to catch us.

You're suggesting FSG have funded the increase in the wage bill?

If that's not short term investment in the squad I don't know what is. It'd be far more reckless than investing in transfer spending, as it creates an ongoing liability.

In reality of course, it's very unlikely they'd be that stupid. The wage bill going up will just be a function of the general increase in income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom