• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to believe our pre-corona plan was to slowly replace our front 3. Get Werner in with a view to moving one of Salah/Mané/Firmino next summer whilst going through the process again with the next replacement.

Then bat eating shit hit the fan.

Well I believe that if we want to sign someone like Sancho or Mbappe or whoever has that star status, one of Salah or Mane will have to go. It's going to be £100 mill in and £100 mill out.
Almost like Thiago vs Wijnaldum.
You too thought we’d sell Salah and Shaqiri for 200m?

B Munich are expecting us to make a bid for him anytime but experts saying we don’t need to improve in midfield but surely getting rid of lallana frees up a space.

Think you need world class talent to keep the squad fighting for places when you're champions. It's great promoting kids but it's not how teams tend to defend trophies.
Yeah, I don’t disagree with that in general, but I’m expecting the cocksure Jones to be at least at a declining Lallana level already, more to come...

Lallana was who everyone hated playing in the first v ressie training apparently, cos he got them all pressing & working, & he always pushed everyone.

That's hard to replace. Bringing in a star like Thiago will lift the side.

It's almost like a luxury signing to keep you all on your game cos you can't see a way to improve the first eleven like for like, Utd would do it, Chelsea did too & it invariably worked.

I agree.

All this chat about not wanting to disturb the squad and "how could you possibly find players that will be good enough blah blah blah" is just an attempt to mask that we either can't or won't buy as we should be doing.

We all know that we have a paper thin squad and that we are really lacking depth in key areas. We may manage to paper over the cracks for another season but there is no point pretending those cracks don't exist.

Think you need world class talent to keep the squad fighting for places when you're champions. It's great promoting kids but it's not how teams tend to defend trophies.

100% and getting Lallana and Lovren off the wage bill will help free up salary.

If a world class player is available for under £30m and wants to come to us we need to make it happen, if that means selling Grujic and Wilson to fund it then so be it.

@Woland you don't win anything with kids moment..

Tbf.. Man Utd faired well back in the day doing that..

I can only see Thiago coming in if Wijnaldum does one.. or we sell Wilson and Gruijc..

Jones is seen as Lallanas replacement.. Buying Thiago sends the wrong message to Jones, who I think will develop into a world class player. (Think TAA)..

The reason everyone goes on about that man u season is it's the exceptional case. Won the league with the massive total of 82 points, player of the season and top goalscorer Cantona might have had something to do with it. And yeah I'm not saying we must buy quality to retain the title, but I think it would be the best way of going about it.

100% and getting Lallana and Lovren off the wage bill will help free up salary.

If a world class player is available for under £30m and wants to come to us we need to make it happen, if that means selling Grujic and Wilson to fund it then so be it.

Is Thiago world class ?

It seems like his most productive season was three years ago.

I just think if you have a chance to sign a world class player like Thiago you should take it.

And frankly, as well as the team functions as a whole, we could do with more quality in midfield. It's the one weakness in our first XI.

I don't think it's unrealistic to sell WIlson for £18-20M. Thiago for a net spend of 10-12M for 3 years is just a no brainer.

Klopp is supposedly in daily chats with him. Hopefully, this doesn't go the way of Werner and we can get a deal done.

This couldn't be more on. Less bothered about whether he is world class but more worried about whether he helps fill some gaps in our squad, of which I think he does in terms of passing ability, playing in tight spaces etc. that we will see more and more as teams deploy the low block against us. Not seen enough to gather whether he fits the workhorse approach that Klopp loves in CM.

Careful .. you don't want to start that debate ... unless you're having trouble sleeping that is

It's universally said and accepted. I don't recall the last time I saw him play, but articles after the 16/17 season described him as that - and on paper that looks like his best season.

He doesn't seem to have replicated that and now gets less international caps .... it all points downwards.

No assists this season , 3 goals. In the two previous seasons he totalled 4 goals and 10 assists. All in an easier league than ours.

And the history of 29 year olds who've never played in the Premier League before and succeeded is a small one.

He doesn't even make the Spain XI really - but that doesn't mean he's not a great player. We're talking 30m not 90m.

Dont think you can judge his performances on goals and assists alone, thats simplifying it to say the least. He’s the heart and soul of that Bayern team and midfield. Makes everything tick and starts most attacks.
Dont think you’ll find many players like him with that type of technical and passing ability.
That type of player can be in his prime for a good few years after 29-30.

Honigstein:
“In Germany they are saying that if Liverpool buy Thiago, they’ll win every game next year!” he said, reported in the Star.

“He’s just been so good. If there’s one player they’re missing in that midfield it’s that technical player.

“More of a creator and a dribbler, somebody who scores spectacular goals and can find a pass.

“It’s not a player that Liverpool have accommodated in recent years and it would change the dynamic of their midfield if you find space for him.

Hansi Flick praising Thiago's skills as one of Europe's best game conductors.

It's universally said and accepted. I don't recall the last time I saw him play, but articles after the 16/17 season described him as that - and on paper that looks like his best season.

He doesn't seem to have replicated that and now gets less international caps .... it all points downwards.

No assists this season , 3 goals. In the two previous seasons he totalled 4 goals and 10 assists. All in an easier league than ours.

And the history of 29 year olds who've never played in the Premier League before and succeeded is a small one.

What's the list of 27+ and succeeded? I'll bet that's tiny. That's my cut off for someone who hasn't played in the league before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom