• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Thiago world class ?

It seems like his most productive season was three years ago.

Like I said earlier on in the thread after seeing his highlights from 2020.

He's no longer playing in the number 8 role. He seems to be utilised nowadays as a quarterback, Xabi Alonso-style, number 6.

And he's been superb there.

But we've obviously got Fabinho there already. So unless Thiago is going to replace him or get his running shoes back on to play as a number 8 again, I am not sure there's any point to purchasing him.

I don't even see him as a Gini replacement anymore. Unless you're moving Fab into an 8.

How he's playing now at Bayern doesn't mean that he can't be moved to another position or play a different role. Just like Wijnaldum plays in a different role for the Dutch national team.

How he's playing now at Bayern doesn't mean that he can't be moved to another position or play a different role. Just like Wijnaldum plays in a different role for the Dutch national team.

Well I'd rather spend the little money we do seem to have on someone who is currently playing the role we intend to utilise him in. It's hard enough coming from another country and adapting to the pace of the game, already. Much less, playing a role you've not played in over a year. Possibly two.

Thiago looks a fantastic number 6, if you're looking for a ball playing 6. But one has to question whether his reversion to the role is similar to Stevie's, as in he had completely lost the power to be a box to box midfielder and was now adapting his game.

Get the Hungarian kid who plays in midfield for Salzburg. Looks an amazing talent. Szoboszlai, that's his name.

Like I said earlier on in the thread after seeing his highlights from 2020.

He's no longer playing in the number 8 role. He seems to be utilised nowadays as a quarterback, Xabi Alonso-style, number 6.

And he's been superb there.

But we've obviously got Fabinho there already. So unless Thiago is going to replace him or get his running shoes back on to play as a number 8 again, I am not sure there's any point to purchasing him.

I don't even see him as a Gini replacement anymore. Unless you're moving Fab into an 8.

Bayern play with a double-pivot in midfield, usually Thiago and Kimmich or Thiago and Goretzka. In the former configuration Kimmich is more of a #6 and Thiago an #8, in the latter Thiago is the #6 and Goretzka is box-to-box.

Don't think Thiago would necessarily need to displace Fabinho at LFC. His best quality is progression with the ball through the line of the press, he's an excellent ball carrier and dribbler. Defensively he's good at filling the right spaces and helping with pressure and interceptions. So I would expect his role at LFC to be roughly the same as Keita or a more attack-minded version of Gini.

Last edited:
It's universally said and accepted. I don't recall the last time I saw him play, but articles after the 16/17 season described him as that - and on paper that looks like his best season.

He doesn't seem to have replicated that and now gets less international caps .... it all points downwards.

No assists this season , 3 goals. In the two previous seasons he totalled 4 goals and 10 assists. All in an easier league than ours.

And the history of 29 year olds who've never played in the Premier League before and succeeded is a small one.
Yeah.

Thats not the debate I meant

Some Twitter twatter that the deal is done and will be announced after the CL.
Nothing to do with the Gini situation, which is down to the number of years / length of contract.

Lets see when the CL is finished.

Talk city have entered race

Surprised it took so long considering that it was Guardiola who said it was "Thiago or no one" when he was shopping for his new main midfield maestro at Bayern. Not that City particularly need midfielders, but it's Pep...

One aspect of this midfield conundrum with the potential signing of Thiago, is that the next two seasons will be very much overloaded with games in a shorter amount of time. With PL, CL and cup competitions we're looking at a game every 3 days for probably large parts of the season. With the AFCON, EC and WC in 2022, adding to the squad seems like something we should do even if it is another midfielder.
We certainly lack his type of player, and it will give us greater tactical flexibility which will also be beneficial given the amount of games we'll be playing.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I think we’ll be more likely (if aiming for a technically able midfielder) to go for Aouar?
I really like Aouar, and we've obviously been tracking him for a while, but there's a chance that Klopp might think that someone like Aouar might impede Curtis Jones' development? Aouar started off as a left-side attacking midfielder in the mould of Coutinho, but has progressed to playing in the no. 8 or no. 6 roles recently. I think Curtis Jones is a very similar player positionally, so there's a good chance that Klopp wouldn't necessarily want to sign a player like that when we have already have an excellent talent in Jones.

Thiago might make more sense from that perspective, and also if the indication is that Gini will be off next summer.

Klopp previously on Thiago:

After Liverpool drew 0-0 with Bayern: "Thiago is a world-class footballer. He played that deep-lying playmaker role very well. Alongside Martinez, they were v good."

Bayern are said to have dropped their valuation for the 29-year-old down to around £27million, with Liverpool having been reported as willing to pay just over £22million.
But the Echo understands the club have not opened talks with Bayern, and the Reds have not moved on their stance that Thiago is not an active target.

Anyone else get the feeling our new goal scoring winger 'signing' is going to be Chamberlain?

If there is legit interest in Thiago then it suggests to me he's getting shunted back out wide. I don't think its the worst idea. His technical limitations have been shown up lately in the middle of the park.

Anyone else get the feeling our new goal scoring winger 'signing' is going to be Chamberlain?

If there is legit interest in Thiago then it suggests to me he's getting shunted back out wide. I don't think its the worst idea. His technical limitations have been shown up lately in the middle of the park.
He's shite on the wing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom