• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah most people knew he was shit before we even bought him. He was hardly a hidden gem. We had seen him for years being average.
20yr pro, with 35 England Caps is “shit” and “average”. Some life you’re leading lad.

I think Stewart retired a few years ago.
I like Red Birds enthusiasm too, but I didn’t feel he was Liverpool standard a decade ago, and I’m not sure he’s getting any better. *winkyface*

Still an active player at Blackburn I believe though Frogfish

The Thiago situation is becoming clearer to me. When LFC make a decision to buy a player, they act quickly and decisively and definitely don't leak anything to the press. That's clearly not the case here, so we can safely assume the noise is coming from his agent's side. So why did he decide to leave Bayern? Well, Thiago has a history of making big, abrupt decisions about his career – leaving Barca to move to Bayern in 2013, choosing to represent Spain against his father's wishes (his dad is a Brazil international Mazinho and his younger brother plays for Seleção) etc. Apparently he decided that he needs a new challenge, catching Bayern completely by surprise.

Is Liverpool interested in Thiago? No one knows; for sure Klopp admires him as a player, but there are lots of factors in play and Klopp obviously has not made a decision about buying Thiago yet – otherwise he'd be modeling our new green-sleeves already. Is Thiago interested in playing for Liverpool? Probably yes, that's why his agent is bringing us into this. But I think at this point we have about as much of a chance of signing him as any other top club. Everything will depend on Klopp's and the club's decision, Gini's contract situation, our budget and priorities. But we definitely should not read into the Thiago situation as any kind of reflection on LFC's strategy and plan – my guess is we were caught as much by surprise as Bayern.

Last edited:
The Thiago situation is becoming clearer to me. When LFC make a decision to buy a player, they act quickly and decisively and definitely don't leak anything to the press. That's clearly not the case here, so we can safely assume the noise is coming from his agent's side. So why did he decide to leave Bayern? Well, Thiago has a history of making big, abrupt decisions about his career – leaving Barca to move to Bayern in 2013, choosing to represent Spain against his father's wishes (his dad is a Brazil international Mazinho and his younger brother plays for Seleção) etc. Apparently he decided that he needs a new challenge, catching Bayern completely by surprise.

Is Liverpool interested in Thiago? No one knows; for sure Klopp admires him as a player, but there are lots of factors in play and Klopp obviously has not made a decision about buying Thiago yet – otherwise he'd be modeling our new green-sleeves already. Is Thiago interested in playing for Liverpool? Probably yes, that's why his agent is bringing us into this. But I think at this point we have about as much of a chance of signing him as any other top club. Everything will depend on Klopp's and the club's decision, Gini's contract situation, our budget and priorities.

So... In a nutshell, nothing is clear to anyone?

So... In a nutshell, nothing is clear to anyone?

It's clear that what's driving this is Thiago's desire to leave Bayern and look for a new challenge, not LFC's supposed interest in him. Even if we do end up signing him in the end.

Is Liverpool interested in Thiago? No one knows; for sure Klopp admires him as a player, but there are lots of factors in play and Klopp obviously has not made a decision about buying Thiago yet – otherwise he'd be modeling our new green-sleeves already. Is Thiago interested in playing for Liverpool? Probably yes, that's why his agent is bringing us into this. But I think at this point we have about as much of a chance of signing him as any other top club. Everything will depend on Klopp's and the club's decision, Gini's contract situation, our budget and priorities. But we definitely should not read into the Thiago situation as any kind of reflection on LFC's strategy and plan – my guess is we were caught as much by surprise as Bayern.

I don't think anything will happen until the Champions League ends.

.................. Is Liverpool interested in Thiago? No one knows; for sure Klopp admires him as a player, but there are lots of factors in play and Klopp obviously has not made a decision about buying Thiago yet – otherwise he'd be modeling our new green-sleeves already. Is Thiago interested in playing for Liverpool? Probably yes, that's why his agent is bringing us into this. But I think at this point we have about as much of a chance of signing him as any other top club. Everything will depend on Klopp's and the club's decision, Gini's contract situation, our budget and priorities. But we definitely should not read into the Thiago situation as any kind of reflection on LFC's strategy and plan – my guess is we were caught as much by surprise as Bayern.
I strongly doubt that. I don't think Klopp will suddenly decide to buy a player based on a player, or his agent, stating his sudden availability. He was either on the radar or not and if he was then a gentle sounding out via his agent likely took place.

If we are/were interested in him then it also makes sense that Bayern would want to try to persuade the player to stay, considering he is such an integral part of their team, which would delay any transfer no matter the buying club. The Naby Keita deal for example took forever to materialise, because the selling club would have preferred to tie him down.

Just because we have made a lot of deals that seemingly came out of nowhere doesn't mean that will always be the case. This could easily be an exception ... or we may never have been interested or maybe interested but just unable to come to an agreement. The fact there has been no categorical denial is telling perhaps and as Peekay stated ... the CL is a key aspect in this and no deal is likely until after that concludes.

I strongly doubt that. I don't think Klopp will suddenly decide to buy a player based on a player, or his agent, stating his sudden availability. He was either on the radar or not and if he was then a gentle sounding out via his agent likely took place.

If we are/were interested in him then it also makes sense that Bayern would want to try to persuade the player to stay, considering he is such an integral part of their team, which would delay any transfer no matter the buying club. The Naby Keita deal for example took forever to materialise, because the selling club would have preferred to tie him down.

Just because we have made a lot of deals that seemingly came out of nowhere doesn't mean that will always be the case. This could easily be an exception ... or we may never have been interested or maybe interested but just unable to come to an agreement. The fact there has been no categorical denial is telling perhaps and as Peekay stated ... the CL is a key aspect in this and no deal is likely until after that concludes.

We have lots of players on our radar and lots of players Klopp likes – but there would have been zero chance of us signing Thiago if he wanted to stay at Bayern. Planning for signing Thiago until he made the decision to leave would be just as pointless as planning to sign Messi.

We have lots of players on our radar and lots of players Klopp likes – but there would have been zero chance of us signing Thiago if he wanted to stay at Bayern. Planning for signing Thiago until he made the decision to leave would be just as pointless as planning to sign Messi.
That wasn't my point. He was in the last year of his contract, everyone knew this, so it's possible he was sounded out. I can't really see the transfer team suddenly changing their plans just because he comes out and says something which may or may not have been merely a tactic for a new contract at Bayern (even if it's now been 'confirmed' it isn't). That's what I meant by 'on the LFC radar'.

I don't think this is true at all. While we've completed some deals with great speed and without any leaks to the press (Fabinho, Minamino, Salah, Ox, Shaqiri, Wijnaldum), we've also been involved in some fairly public and protracted courtships (Van Dijk, Keita, Alisson, Werner, Fekir).

So it's difficult to say really what it is with Thiago. It could well be what you're suggesting, but I don't think we can say so with any certainty.

The Alisson deal was quite quickly done, no?

I've said it before, but nothing about this deal makes sense. Didn't even think about the fact that it's been going on for months which isn't something we seem to do anymore. So there's another reason to think it's not happening.

I agree with Rurik. This is most likely agent-driven.

I don't think this is true at all. While we've completed some deals with great speed and without any leaks to the press (Fabinho, Minamino, Salah, Ox, Shaqiri, Wijnaldum), we've also been involved in some fairly public and protracted courtships (Van Dijk, Keita, Alisson, Werner, Fekir).

So it's difficult to say really what it is with Thiago. It could well be what you're suggesting, but I don't think we can say so with any certainty.

Well, the protracted sagas like Van Dijk and Keita were such because the selling club desperately wanted to hold on to their player. Not the case at all here with Bayern accepting that the player will leave and pretty much publicly announcing a price tag.

It's clear that what's driving this is Thiago's desire to leave Bayern and look for a new challenge, not LFC's supposed interest in him. Even if we do end up signing him in the end.

I find it incredible, just incredible, that Thiago of all people would wake up one day, with just a year on his contract, and no tapping up - nothing - and say "Fuck Bayern (where I've won everything to play for), I want to join Liverpool". And now we just sit around and think "Oh that's nice, but let's focus on Jamal Lewis instead"

Any other club (and us 5 years ago) would have creamed themselves into oblivion by now.

I've said it before, but nothing about this deal makes sense. Didn't even think about the fact that it's been going on for months which isn't something we seem to do anymore. So there's another reason to think it's not happening.

I think it could still happen, because £27M for a player of Thiago's caliber is too good of a deal to pass up. But it looks like LFC is looking to address bigger squad priorities first.

Our interest in Alisson was announced publicly I think some time in December. We still had the two mongs in goal back then, but even after the CL final debacle, there didn't seem to be any likelihood of us buying Alisson because Roma were apparently playing hardball. I remember they'd set a 90 million price tag on him.

I think it could still happen, because £27M for a player of Thiago's caliber is too good of a deal to pass up. But it looks like LFC is looking to address bigger squad priorities first.
I think Klopp's biggest dilemma about this would be playing time. Thiago is simply too good to relegate to a bench role, and the likes of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, if fit, almost always start. You then have to account for Keita's recent run of form, and keep minutes for Chamberlain and Curtis Jones as well. There's also old man Milner who'd want to play every now and again.

That said, if his wages are under 150k, then we should do it regardless. 25 mil and 150k wages for one of the most technically brilliant players on the planet is worth it. He could offer us something completely different. Can imagine a Gary Mac type influence.

I find it incredible, just incredible, that Thiago of all people would wake up one day, with just a year on his contract, and no tapping up - nothing - and say "Fuck Bayern (where I've won everything to play for), I want to join Liverpool". And now we just sit around and think "Oh that's nice, but let's focus on Jamal Lewis instead"

Any other club (and us 5 years ago) would have creamed themselves into oblivion by now.
Except that Bayern have already said they won't sell until after their CL participation is concluded.

I think Klopp's biggest dilemma about this would be playing time. Thiago is simply too good to relegate to a bench role, and the likes of Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, if fit, almost always start. You then have to account for Keita's recent run of form, and keep minutes for Chamberlain and Curtis Jones as well. There's also old man Milner who'd want to play every now and again.

That said, if his wages are under 150k, then we should do it regardless. 25 mil and 150k wages for one of the most technically brilliant players on the planet is worth it. He could offer us something completely different. Can imagine a Gary Mac type influence.
I highly doubt Klopp would have any issue whatsoever benching an inferior player for a superior one ... no matter who it is ... so long as they fit into his game plan.

It's equally incredible to think that we would tap up a key Bayern player in the middle of the season on a random chance he wants to trade Munich for the Merseyside. I don't know exactly why Thiago wants to leave, but there had to be a breakdown in a relationship somewhere and maybe a sense of stagnation. Whatever it is, a call from Jurgen Klopp wasn't the catalyst.

One thing I thought about though is whether LFC's Brazilian contingent played any role in Thiago's thinking about LFC as a potential option. Bayern nowadays don't have any Brazilians except the on-loan Coutinho and no native Spanish or Portuguese speakers other than Thiago and Javi Martinez, who might also be leaving this summer. They are becoming a mix of German and French contingents and perhaps Thiago started to feel like a fish out of water. A move to somewhere like PSG with their large Spanish and Portuguese-speaking contingent would make sense if this theory is correct.

Last edited:
Is he going to be Gini's replacement if he doesn't sign a new contract?
Selling Gini would probably recoup a lot of the Thiago transfer fee

It's equally incredible to think that we would tap up a key Bayern player in the middle of the season on a random chance he wants to trade Munich for the Merseyside. I don't know exactly why Thiago wants to leave, but there had to be a breakdown in a relationship somewhere and maybe a sense of stagnation. Whatever it is, a call from Jurgen Klopp wasn't the catalyst.

One thing I thought about though is whether LFC's Brazilian contingent played any role in Thiago's thinking about LFC as a potential option. Bayern nowadays don't have any Brazilians except the on-loan Coutinho and no native Spanish or Portuguese speakers other than Thiago and Javi Martinez, who might also be leaving this summer. They are becoming a mix of German and French contingents and perhaps Thiago started to feel like a fish out of water. A move to somewhere like PSG with their large Spanish and Portuguese-speaking contingent would make sense if this theory is correct.

Oh, don't get it wrong. I'm not saying I don't believe you, more that I can't believe how lucky to have a manager like Klopp - that a world class player would actually want to join us without us courting him.

Personally i doubt it. If liverpool wouldn't spend 50m on werner who is 24 then there is no way they are spending 30m on Thiago who is 29. When has klopp ever spent that type of money with a player that age?

I just don't think we're interested.

Skint.
Interest seems agent driven.
Older than our current recruitment model.
Relatively injury prone.
Don't need players in his position.
Need to address other areas.

Nothing adds up. All the noises are coming from his side. We're consistently telling the press it won't happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom