• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The who should we sign in January thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently he was convicted and served time for attempted murder.

[article]
The 26-year-old previously spent five months in prison in Spain – at the Picassent jail – after he was charged with multiple offences including robbery, assault, kidnapping and possession of a firearm, but he paid the €30k bail conditions to continue his football career.

Semedo signed for Villarreal from Sporting CP in the summer of 2017 but played just five games for the club and spent the 2018/19 campaign out on loan spells at Huesca and then Rio Ave, before joining Olympiakos permanently last year.

On 20 February 2018, Semedo was detained for supposedly tying up and assaulting a man in his home alongside two others, then proceeding to go to the victim’s house to rob the property.

The complainant alleges that he was locked in a room after being immobilised, while the accused stole his keys, broke into his apartment and carried out large scale theft, with gunshots also said to be involved to intimidate the individual.

The defender had then been suspended without pay by Villarreal and the club had been actively trying to sell him since, before his move to the Greek side last summer.

The Portugal international’s run-in with the law made headlines in Spain prior to this allegedly carrying a firearm at a nightclub in Valencia in November 2017 and smashing a man over the head with a glass bottle in separate incidents.
[/article]

Last edited:
Liverpool are considering a move for Netherlands and former Watford defender Daryl Janmaat, 31, as short-term cover to ease their defensive crisis. (Teamtalk)

Pau Torres:
Playing extremely well for Villareal. Have all the qualities to be a top CB.
45 mill release clause. Can be signed in January. 6"3.

Ideally we should go for the taller, quicker and left footed defender Pau Torres.
Depends on the price I guess.

Em5Cli5XYAcCRcj

Ornstein writing in The Athletic that we are not planning on buying a centre half in the January window and are going to make do with what we have.
This is a jointly agreed strategy between Klopp and Edwards
This would only change if a player that we are targeting next summer becomes available in January at the right price.
It certainly ties in with how we have conducted transfer business in the last while

We all saw how well briefed and informed the media were about our summer business.
I'll be shocked if we dont sign a CB in January after Gomez injury.

We all saw how well briefed and informed the media were about our summer business.
I'll be shocked if we dont sign a CB in January after Gomez injury.
I actually thought that they were pretty well briefed.
There was a denial of a link with Thiago from our end but there was so much noise from the Bayern end it always seemed likely.
We were told that we would try and get a back up/cover for the front three and while most of the speculation was around Sarr we bought Jota.
Plus we were told that despite Lovren leaving we were unlikely to buy another centre half and that is what transpired.

I actually thought that they were pretty well briefed.
There was a denial of a link with Thiago from our end but there was so much noise from the Bayern end it always seemed likely.
We were told that we would try and get a back up/cover for the front three and while most of the speculation was around Sarr we bought Jota.
Plus we were told that despite Lovren leaving we were unlikely to buy another centre half and that is what transpired.

We were told no signings, and ended up with Jota and Thiago ;)

Ornstein writing in The Athletic that we are not planning on buying a centre half in the January window and are going to make do with what we have.
This is a jointly agreed strategy between Klopp and Edwards
This would only change if a player that we are targeting next summer becomes available in January at the right price.
It certainly ties in with how we have conducted transfer business in the last while

So the club has identified targets and the plan is to be buy a centre back, just not in January when we desperately need one, but to wait another six months until our problems are much less pressing. Yep makes loads of sense

So the club has identified targets and the plan is to be buy a centre back, just not in January when we desperately need one, but to wait another six months until our problems are much less pressing. Yep makes loads of sense

We will get someone. It’s all down to the price is right for the particular target. If we know that target will add a good contribution to the team we will buy them at the earliest opportunity. If it will cost an extra £10 million to get whoever in January then we will pay it. Probably on the never never but we will do it.

https://as.com/futbol/2020/11/20/primera/1605838881_739379.html
[article]Pau Torres‘ story at Villarreal has been compared to Sergio Ramos‘ at Sevilla by a report in Diario AS.

There are indeed many parallels. Both are precocious centre-backs who broke though their local academies to stake a claim in their first team, shining brighter than their contemporaries due to their uncommon assertiveness and confidence.

Pau has become one of the great discoveries of Spanish football, performing as one of the best centre-backs in La Liga for the past two seasons after making his Villarreal debut under Javier Calleja at 19.

Pau has shown to have great vision, quality with the ball at his feet, an ability to compete in the air and a serenity that’s hard to find. Some point to a lack of aggression and character, but that’s something that will come with experience and age.

Pau has played 48 games for Villarreal at just 23, not to mention the 41 he played for Malaga on loan in the Segunda. This development and performance has seen him reach the national team and emerge as Ramos’ best partner with La Roja.

This experience, of playing alongside one of the most decorated players in the game, helps him no end. At club level, he also has Raul Albiol by his side, another veteran who sees his teammate as having “brutal” potential.

Pau has four years left on his deal with Villarreal but has a release clause of €50m that can reach €70 inclusive of variables. The centre-back has been attracting admiring glances from the Premier League for some time now, and every season he wears Villarreal yellow is seen as a bonus by the club.

They’re under no illusions how difficult it will be to retain him, just like Sevilla learned with Ramos.[/article]

On the possibility of Liverpool strengthening during the January transfer window…

Quote:
[xtable=border:0|cellpadding:6|cellspacing:0|100%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}We will see. I don’t know what we can do in January, to be honest. I have no idea. That we look for solutions, that we look at the transfer market, that’s clear of course. But in the moment we have the situation we have. You cannot compare situations really, but I only want to mention it. When I came in 2008 to [Borussia] Dortmund, my two centre-halves were 19 and turned 20 that winter and we played with them for the entire time, pretty much – [Mats] Hummels and [Neven] Subotic. We have talents here. They are young, yes, 18, 19, 23. And then we have more experienced players. So, we will see. Now everybody has the chance. And we have, not in the moment but hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have midfielders who can play the more defensive role as well. These are the solutions we have and we think in the moment. What we do in January, I have no idea. If we can do something, I have no idea. If we want to do something, I have no idea in the moment. We just will see. For the moment we are fine. We use, how always, the boys we have. And I’m really happy. Because we speak constantly about injuries, it’s not easy for me to be happy in this press conference, but I am about the chance they have now. And you should see them in training – they can smell the chance and they step up and they want to show they are ready. That’s good. And we will see. I’m really confident that it will work out with the boys and then hopefully we can convince the rest of the world as well.{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

£45m buy out clause for Pau. Unless we have a deal in place for Upamecano or Kabak that seems like a very workable deal.

[Corriere Dello Sport] Liverpool preparing 30m bid for Ajax defender Perr Schuurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom