1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

The who should we sign in January thread

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Hansern, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Seeing as Virgil is out for the season. If he returns earlier it would be a bonus, but we wont see him back to his old self until the start of next season.
    The question is, who do we buy? Because we have to sign a CB in January.
    Klopp surely has his targets ready for both January and next summer, and most of the targets arent available in this first window.
    Short term, long term or the best fit available. I've listed some potential players, but who would you go for?

Dayot Upamecano:
    Fantastic player and would fit us like a glove. 40 mill release clause that will kick in next summer.
    We wont have a chance of getting him before that, but this is a player we really do need to sign going forward. Will be the best CB around in the future. 6"2.

Ibrahima Konate:
    Another Leipzig player. Very talented and built for the Premier League.
    Has been out injured for almost a year now, so his transfer stock might have taken a hit. But is expected back soon. 6"4. Could maybe be worth a shot in January.

Pau Torres:
    Playing extremely well for Villareal. Have all the qualities to be a top CB.
    45 mill release clause. Can be signed in January. 6"3.

Jose Gimenez:
    Top defender, but to expencive. Atletico would want the whole 111 mill £. Not worth it.

Koulibaly:
    Top defender, but soon to be 30 years old. Napoli would want close to 100 mill £. Not worth it.

Milan Skriniar:
    Came close to joining Spurs. Good player and could be available for 40-45 mill. Not sure how he would fit in with us mind.

Rudiger:
    Chelsea want rid. Could probably be on a loan for the rest of the season. Could make sense if another target isnt available until next summer. Klopp would get the best out of him, and he has good pace and is very good one on one. That is essential in how we set up.
    Decent short term option.

Umtiti:
    Seems to be out of favour at Barca and will be allowed to leave. We have been linked with a move in the media already. Not sure how good he is these days, but still only 26 and is left footed. Another possible short term loan?

Wily Boly:
    Underrated defender who has been playing great for Wolves. 29 years old, but only has 6 months left on his contract come January. Will probably sign a new deal though.

Tyron Mings:
    Has impressed greatly during the start of the season. Looks a top defender and has all but every quality attribute you would want. English premium though, so would cost a fucking fortune.
    Left footed aswell.

2. Gary25

Gary25 Well-Known Member

Jonny Evans

3. Hyena

Hyena Well-Known Member

Upamecano. Bid £41m

4. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Upamecano is by far the best alternative, but he wont be available in January.
    For next season, an easy yes.

5. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

Sign Messi & play him at CB

6. reuque

reuque Well-Known Member

We're already shite in the air without Van Dijk and you want a midget to replace him?!?

7. tombrown

yeah

8. SummerOnions

SummerOnions Let's Push Things Forward Member

Rudiger seems the smartest option

9. Hass

Hass Well-Known Member

Chelsea wanted a £5m loan fee and for the club to cover his wages. That's stupid not smart. Smart move would be to get someone maybe like Garray on a short term contract till Jan see if we can expedite a signing that we want in the summer to Jan if not keep Garray till June

10. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Antonio-Rudiger-12-5million-LOAN-player.html
    Article: according to The Athletic, the Blues asked interested clubs to pay a £5million loan fee for the German centre-back - while they also asked for his entire wages to be covered by his new club.

The 27-year-old is currently on a £150,000-a-week contract at Chelsea, which equates to just over £7.5million-a-year.

The report says clubs were put off by Chelsea's steep asking price for the German centre-back, who showed defensive frailties during the back end of last season which nearly cost the Blues a place in this season's Champions League.

I think going for a longer term option will be wiser. Problem is, clubs will try to hold us to ransom knowing our urgency for top class signing to address the issue.

Kounde looks like a real prospect but Sevilla rejected a €55m bid from Manchester City. His release clause is apparently €90m :eek: while Diego Carlos' release clause is said to be 75m.

11. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

Marseille have a Croatian CB called Duje Caleta-Car who I think could be on our shortlist.

- 24 years old. 6'4 and two footed. Dominant in the air and pings it to the flanks with both his feet
    - Experienced at playing in a high line and high pressing team. Played under Marco Rose at Salzburg and now with Villas Boas at Marseille
    - Part of Croatian WC team, and now playing CL football as the leader of the Marseille defence
    - Marseille are in a bit of a financial mess and are clearly open to offers. West Ham had a 20 million deal fall through last month.

12. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

You can see in this clip that he defends in a high-line in the fashion Klopp wants our defence to play. A lot of the positions you see him in are the ones that van Dijk usually takes up for us. Winning long-balls in the air, switching play quickly to the flanks and defending one-on-ones.

I'm certain he'll be on our radar.

MaBigTip, peekay, Buddha and 2 others like this.
  13. moron

moron i am legend Member

Lets get this guy asap if vvd is not gonna be back anytime soon.

14. Beamrider

Beamrider Active Member

I get really nervous at the thought of a £20m rated Croatian centre back for some reason...

tommyboy, Roopy, mwake and 7 others like this.
  15. JurgenKlopp

JurgenKlopp Well-Known Member

Don't fret chaps, I'm dusting off my boots as I speak. Was a wonderful CB in my time, can use both feet, quick across the ground and read the game very well. I'll even play for free. Slight issue, not put boots on in about 15 years, but I reckon I still.have it, haha.

That upamecano chap sounds good

16. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

Aside from the quality, which obviously needs to be excellent, I think we've got two strategies: one is to go for a 30+ experienced player who is looking for one more big move, will slot right in immediately but won't block the progress of our promising young CBs; the other is to really go for a great younger talent who won't just fill-in for Virge but will also partner him for a few years.

But I don't who'd we could get in either category; FSG would need to get seriously drunk to countenance spending much on the former type of player, and they'd surely be really cautious about paying way over the odds in January for the kind of player we could probably do a better deal for later on.

So that suggests to me the rather grim prospect of going for lesser, cheaper talents. And that suggests an older player who'll probably be shipped back out as soon as VVD returns.

17. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Was there any truth to the rumours over the summer of Ben White being a long term target. Maybe a more experienced CB is the better option now but if hes on the short list we cant rule it out

As I said in the Gini thread and Wijinaldum for Umtiti swap makes sense for all parties

bluebell likes this.
  18. walesnj

walesnj Active Member

Rumours are that Phil Jones is looking to move on

tombrown likes this.
  19. tombrown

He can be a gargoyle at the training ground

walesnj likes this.
  20. bluebell

bluebell Well-Known Member

I doubt the club will spend more than £10m on a defender, the cash isn't there, if it does venture into the markets