1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

The who should we sign in January thread

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Hansern, Oct 20, 2020.

1. jexykrodic

jexykrodic Well-Known Member

Shouldn't we have more faith in Matip and Gomez given King Binny's stats earlier?
    Given you cannot replace Van Dijk I'm sure the coaches will be concentrating on incremental improvements. I have faith that Klopp and his team we'll have this in hand as well being mindful of the transfer window.

2. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

It's not really that simple though considering Matip's injury history, and Gomez's to an extent (and his recent poor form). We shouldn't be relying on Fabs to step back (thereby weakening our midfield).

We lost Lovren and he wasn't replaced. I'm sure it was their intention to replace him but for one reason or another it didn't happen and now their hand has been forced. I can see it as odds on we'll sign another CB in January.

3. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

If we can keep Matip and Gomez fit and available and we are happy to consider Fabinho as a centre back for this season then we should be okay. Not great, but okay.

The problem obviously is that we are unlikely to keep all of those players fit and playing well for the whole season. Matip in particular doesn't seem capable of a run of games without getting injured.

January is never the ideal time to buy players but it can be done. Agger was bought in January, Skrtel was bought in January, even Van Dijk himself was bought in January, strictly speaking.

What we should really be doing is taking this as a clear sign that we have one World Class defender whom we rely on far too much, backed up by players who (although good) are either unreliable due to injury or are playing out of position. Van Dijk will also be almost 30 when he is back. It is absolutely worth the investment to try to get someone very good, even if we are paying over the odds for them.

Sadly, I rather suspect that this won't happen, and we will either try to muddle on through with what we have or perhaps buy a stop-gap older player. We will still have the same problem next Summer if we do that though.

4. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

Who was the young, tall Ajax CB?

He was really good.

RedStar likes this.
  5. Richey

Richey Well-Known Member

Schuurs?

I think we were interested in him in the past.

Squiggles likes this.
  6. bluebell

bluebell Well-Known Member

I think the club need to sign one free agent to tide them over till Jan, and in Jan possibly look at David Alaba  Jérôme Boateng whose contract ends in the summer of 2021

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Donavan Ried likes this.
  7. Hass

Hass Well-Known Member

Alaba will command stupid wages. He's already turned down circa £270k a week from Bayern.

8. SummerOnions

SummerOnions Let's Push Things Forward Member

Schuurs? He's boss on my FIFA, not that it corresponds to real life

9. Donavan Ried

Donavan Ried Minamino our new Japanese Brazilian Member

were we not looking at Malick Thiaw..?  A centre-back for the German club Schalke

10. Mersey86

Mersey86 Unknown Member

Maybe just get Mbappe 6 months early and see if he will play centre back for a while.

bluebell likes this.
  11. Grjt2

Grjt2 Very Active Member

He was appalling last night. Appalling.

50-60m for a player who plays left sided CB? Very unlikely.

12. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Yeah, Mings was horrendous last night. And looked to switch off quite a few times.
    Maybe he believes his own hype..

13. keniget

keniget Part of the Furniture Member

By Mings are we actually talking about Tyron Mings?

Tinto likes this.
  14. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Torino’s Gleison Bremer is a new name to me. Scored 5 goals in 35 appearances for Torino last season

https://www.rousingthekop.com/static/uploads/4/2020/10/GettyImages-1227835537.jpg
    https://www.rousingthekop.com/2020/10/24/gleison-bremer-liverpool/
    Article: 1) Bremer is currently in his third season with Torino having started his professional career with Atletico Mineiro in his native Brazil after spending time on loan at Sao Paulo as a youngster.

2) The towering centre-back made 26 first-team appearances for his boyhood club before completing a move to Europe with Italian club Torino back in the summer of 2018 who cost the Serie A outfit cost €5.8 million/£5.3 million.

3) The 23-year-old featured on just five occasions during his inaugural campaign in Serie A but did establish himself as a key component at the back last season. Bremer clocked up 27 league appearances during the 2019/20 campaign, scoring thrice and registering an assist, as Torino finished 16th in the standings and narrowly avoided relegation.

4) According to reports in Italy, Bremer was monitored by Everton in the previous summer window. Fulham also maintain an interest in the player.

5) He currently has three years remaining on his contract at the Olympic Grande Torino Stadium.

Bremer is under contract at Torino until 2023 and so the Italian club are under no pressure to sell.

SportItalia, via Football Italia note that Torino paid just over £5 million to secure the Brazilian’s services over two years ago so if Liverpool would likely have to play more than double that figure if they were to pursue a move.

Given Liverpool’s maintained transfer policy since Jurgen Klopp joined in 2015 has been to sign players aged 26 or younger, unless given great reason to do otherwise – as was the case with Thiago Alcantara, that’s the first criteria in the search.

The pool of leagues Liverpool usually look to recruit from usually feature from Europe’s top five domestic leagues and teams that feature either in the Champions League or Europa League

Bremer is definitely a defence-first centre-back as opposed to someone who thrives in possession and his qualities on the ball may not be quite the standard that Liverpool usually uphold meaning it would take time before he is able to hold down a regular spot in the team.

However, defensively, he is more than capable and his statistical output is very encouraging. Last season he averaged he 2.3 tackles per game (PG) as well as 2.7 interceptions and 4.1 clearances.

This would imply that he is a great reader of the game and is particularly aggressive in his approach to step-up and intercept the ball. His tackling ability is also among the best in Europe according to WhoScored.

refugee likes this.
  15. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Well-Known Member

I fear that we are.

It's a no from me, dawg.

Hass likes this.
  16. Hansern

Yeah, its a no.

The CB we go for need to be good in the air and dominant. Saw today how we get pushed back when you lose the aerial battles.

17. reuque

reuque Well-Known Member

From this list I only rate Upamecano without ever watching him because;

Kabak- looks a bit on the chubby side
    White- would cost the premium price of a Prem player
    Coady- probably won't fit our system tactically
    Bremer- comes from Serie A nuff said

Rosco likes this.
  18. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

As much as I like VD, I think we should be looking for a replacement and not a 3rd option or a stopgap. ACL injuries are unpredictable, we don't know for certain if Van Dijk will be his old self when he returns.
    We should buy a young CB with high potential.
    I'm liking the Upamecano link.

darkstarexodus likes this.
  19. Hansern

Upamecano will be an upgrade on Gomez, and will play next to Virgil when he’s fit again.

Linked with a January  move but I doubt Leipzig will sell him then.

20. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Poise ourselves to progress on from Matip or Gomez if we can upgrade or mitigate the risk of Virgil never returning to his imperious best.

It's now the area on the pitch where we are thinnest, after getting Jota and Thiago this summer.